Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

HBO's Game of Thrones

Started by Bromptonboy, August 18, 2009, 06:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: X on December 30, 2010, 02:02:15 PM
Quote from: Geekyfanboy on December 30, 2010, 01:57:14 PM
Inside Game of Thrones Video so FANTASTIC... really getting me excited for the series.. I may even go back and try and read the first novel again.. got about halfway through before giving up on it.. it's an extremely dark fantasy.
This is a really great series, but it's also more realistic with it's politics and violence in the time frame that it's in. That being said, the series is also a very adult based series. Magic is not nice there and good does not always win.

yeah the sex with kids and incest and such it was a bit much.. but now that I know the feel of the book I might be able to enjoy it more.

X

While I recall the incest, I don't remember the sex with kids. Which is a statement that I don't ever thought I'd write, let alone in a public setting. I can say that some thing get much better and some things get much darker, but in those dark places, some people rise up to become better than you ever expected them to be.

Bromptonboy

I really have to re-read this series to prep myself.  Found the unabridged audiobook - might be the best bet to do get this done during the commute.
Pete

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: X on December 31, 2010, 08:31:48 AM
While I recall the incest, I don't remember the sex with kids. Which is a statement that I don't ever thought I'd write, let alone in a public setting. I can say that some thing get much better and some things get much darker, but in those dark places, some people rise up to become better than you ever expected them to be.

I'm talking about Daenerys who is 13 has an arranged marriage to Khal Drogo, a warlord of nomadic Dothraki. Their sex scenes are way to rough and graphic.

KC

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on December 31, 2010, 09:29:43 AM

I'm talking about Daenerys who is 13 has an arranged marriage to Khal Drogo, a warlord of nomadic Dothraki. Their sex scenes are way to rough and graphic.

I had to keep telling myself while I was reading it that back when life expectancy was much shorter and 13 was considered a legal age to get married. I also imagined her older when I had to. The first book is really good, but I'm absolutely stuck on Clash of Kings. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it by the time the series comes out, because it looks fantastic.

Rico

April 17, 2011. Game of Thrones. HBO. Be there!

Meds

Kit Harington wo plays Jon Snow in this. He's friends of Phil and Helen in our Missinghen group. Well done that man.

X

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on December 31, 2010, 09:29:43 AM
See when I read that, I chalked it up to things that were normal in times like that. It didn't affect me because as a reader of history, 13 was the age a lot of girls were made wives to older men.

Bromptonboy

A little off topic, but when is the latest GRRM book to be released?
Pete

X

Quote from: Bromptonboy on January 09, 2011, 04:46:04 PM
6 years ago was the scheduled release date. Now were're in a holding pattern.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: X on January 09, 2011, 07:24:33 PM
Quote from: Bromptonboy on January 09, 2011, 04:46:04 PM
6 years ago was the scheduled release date. Now were're in a holding pattern.
He better not pull a 'Robert Jordan' on us!  Get busy GRRM!!  (although take your time and do it right)
Pete

Geekyfanboy

Geekyfanboy

New Poster

Rico

That's kind of a weird throne.