• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Wars reboot - could it work?

Started by Dangelus, March 05, 2011, 12:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangelus

Just thought, could Lucas reboot Star Wars akin to what JJ did with Star Trek?

Could be interesting with lots of potential. Any thoughts on the subject?

ElfManDan

No I don't think it should be done. Star Trek works because it's part of our universe and timeline and has became outdated a bit. While Star Wars will always hold up because it's not based on our timeline.

If Lucas or anybody is gonna make more movies in the Star Wars universe I'd say take it to another time period. Like the Old Republic.

Dangelus

I don't know. It could be done with new actors and "fill in" parts of the story between the years such as between the new and old trilogies.

What about post original trilogy? Most of the actors are still available and could play older versions of their characters.

ElfManDan

Yeah that wouldn't be to bad. I'm not against new stuff filling in gaps and extra story from original saga. It's the whole complete reboot I'm against.

X

For them to reboot star wars successfully, they would need to go with a new script and dialog and I don't think it would fly well. I would love to see a more epic battle between vader and Obi and more energetic fight scenes, but I don't think that it would be close to the same.

Dangelus

Quote from: X on March 05, 2011, 01:00:49 PM
For them to reboot star wars successfully, they would need to go with a new script and dialog and I don't think it would fly well. I would love to see a more epic battle between vader and Obi and more energetic fight scenes, but I don't think that it would be close to the same.

Worth it just for the Obi vs Vader battle! Wow.

ElfManDan

Like I said The Old Republic when the Jedi were at the top of their game. Be lots of awesome lightsaber battles if they set it then.

Dangelus

It does seem the most likely new movie franchise if we do get one. It's already well established in EU and video games.

Come on George! :)

Geekyfanboy

They could reboot the series and it would be very successful.. the real question is, should they reboot the series.  I would say no.. but I can see the appeal to rebooting and using modern effects and battle/fight sequence .. it would be amazing.

X

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on March 05, 2011, 01:17:32 PM
They could reboot the series and it would be very successful.. the real question is, should they reboot the series.  I would say no.. but I can see the appeal to rebooting and using modern effects and battle/fight sequence .. it would be amazing.
True. From a filmmaker side, it might be the only way for Lucas to finally get what he's been looking for with all of the revisions he's made since releasing them.

ElfManDan

I think Star Wars holds up well enough though that even the Original Trilogy doesn't need to be remade. Why remake something that already works. I think we have the word reboot and remake all wrong, it's not about stuff that is fantastic, it should be about stuff that had good concept, but poorly executed or has become out of date and make it so much better.

Dangelus

If we are ever going to get new live action Star Wars of decent quality it will have to be new movies. TV is too expensive it seems to get a return. Lucas must be considering this at least.

ElfManDan

I think TV could work for a Star Wars story. I just don't think Lucas likely knows how to properly write for TV. If it is on TV in live action it would have to be produced right in an episodic story flow, which unfortunately I think most shows forget about anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing the Star Wars universe live action on TV.

Bryancd

Lucas hates writing, the chances he would try and rewrite Star Wars is zero.

ori-STUDFARM

Personally, the only way I think a reboot could work is if they did it in animated format like the Clone Wars.

The episodes we've seen since christmas have been really exciting stuff. Easily on a par with the original trilogy. I would love to have the original trilogy retold in this format and style.