• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

iPad App Recommendations

Started by spaltor, June 08, 2011, 09:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

Another Q about Splashtop...do you have to be on the same wifi network or does it work over 3G?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on June 10, 2011, 08:30:36 AM
Another Q about Splashtop...do you have to be on the same wifi network or does it work over 3G?

That one I can't answer.  I don't have a 3G iPad.

Jobydrone

I used to have an app that supposedly worked like that over 3g,  but it took so long to load and would drop out, buffer etc., that I eventually deleted it.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Obviously over 3G you are entering a much bigger set of issues and connection troubles.  But I can tell you over wireless at home for me it's like having my desktop PC with me on my lap on the iPad screen.  Very sweet App!

RickPeete

I would suggest checking the app's Developer Website link in the App Store.  For that app to work over 3G, it would have to be able to go through your router's firewall.  My guess is that unless this product gave instructions on how to do this, the default behavior is not to work over 3G (or for that matter, an external WiFi connection).

Rico, can you access your desktop using this product from your work office or Starbucks or Panera?

I use a different product for remote access to my desktop and servers.  it will definitely work over 3G and external WiFi but I did have to make a few port security changes in my firewall to allow it.

Dangelus

It has an experimental feature that will look for your computer over the Internet as opposed to the local network but I'm not sure if that includes 3G.

Rico

I haven't had a chance to try it over "Wifi in the wild" yet.  I've heard it's possible, but again you need to configure some stuff on your home network and router I think.

billybob476

Yeah you'd have to either know your public IP address (which can change) or use a service like DynDNS, then port forward to your machine. Of course then your computer is on the internet with open ports. :)

Rico

Exactly.  I just like the app a lot for being able to remotely access my main PC in my Rico-Cave when I'm in other areas of the house with my Padd.  :)

moyer777

I got this app but have been having PC issues with it.  If I use it too much, my main PC gets really messed up.  I have to like take a good ten minutes to get it to restart.  Anyone have issues with that?

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

Quote from: moyer777 on June 10, 2011, 08:54:47 AM
I got this app but have been having PC issues with it.  If I use it too much, my main PC gets really messed up.  I have to like take a good ten minutes to get it to restart.  Anyone have issues with that?

Not that I've noticed yet Rick.  But I haven't used it a ton yet.  Are you talking about if you start and stop the Splashtop App on your iPad multiple times?

Dangelus

Not experienced anything like that Rick. Does the PC just become unresponsive?

moyer777

I guess I need to just use it for an hour or so, switching back and forth is causing problems.

yeah, it locks up and then crashes with a fatal windows error

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

RickPeete

What version of Windows is everyone using for this app?  Windows 7 (32/64 bit)? XP SP_?  Perhaps there is a compatibility issue with the version of Windows you are using (or a driver issue)...

Dangelus

Working fine for me on Windows 7 32bit and Mac OS X 10.6.6 but I've not used it for extended periods.