• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Flying Cars?

Started by Ricardocameron, October 19, 2012, 09:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricardocameron

Meet the Pal V: A one seat three-wheeled gyroplane that drives like a sports car on the ground. In minutes it transforms and can take to the air to fly up to 300 miles away.

The website for the Pal V starts with the words, "For more than a century man has dreamed of the freedom provided by a flying car. The ultimate vehicle to go wherever and whenever you want to, easily overcoming all sorts of barriers."

Unfortunately, their not in production yet. But they are expected to be in available for purchase by 2014.

PAL-V Flying Car - Maiden Flight
www.GoldenRetrieverErrands.com
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make its own judgment." ~Dr. Zefram Cochrane

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." -Arthur C. Clarke

ChrisMC

What does it say about my personality that all I can think about is the horrific accidents that will ensue...? Perhaps it's because I drive in Florida where the road is populated by less than stellar drivers.

Not the way I pictured a flying car, but it's a start!
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

davekill

I like the way the body leans into curves as it corners - 1:25 in the video

This needs to be in the next Bond film.

Ricardocameron

"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make its own judgment." ~Dr. Zefram Cochrane

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." -Arthur C. Clarke

Ricardocameron

Quote from: Chris-El on October 20, 2012, 05:51:52 AM
What does it say about my personality that all I can think about is the horrific accidents that will ensue...? Perhaps it's because I drive in Florida where the road is populated by less than stellar drivers.
Actually, the crazy $250,000 cost would be 'early adopter prohibitive' for most of us!  And the fact that it's a Gyrocopter will let one land safely even without an engine; the rotors are unpowered, unlike in a helicopter.
Quote from: Chris-El on October 20, 2012, 05:51:52 AM
Not the way I pictured a flying car, but it's a start!
True, more like a motorcycle... or a Lightcycle, lol.

Feathers

I can't imaging anyone without a pilots licence being allowed to fly one of these. It's cool though. Unlike the motorised rotor deployment etc.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

ricdude

"experimental" aircraft doesn't require a pilots license typically, right?  This might just qualify...

Ricardocameron

yup, you'd have to have a license, i believe it's  Light Sport Aircraft.  There's a few tiers.  That's the way we'd all want it though, right?  You'd wanna live to fly a while...