• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

iPhone 5S/6?

Started by KingIsaacLinksr, April 04, 2013, 12:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

Pete- 64GB 6 Plusses currently available for pick up at Apple Store in Christiana Mall, Delaware.  If you do your upgrade through the Apple Store app or the store on line you can reserve it for pick up.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jobydrone

Quote from: MARKO on October 09, 2014, 07:43:31 AM
I canceled my order for the Plus and purchased a 64gb 6.... i am very active ride a bike everyday hike and so forth the 6 plus is just too big for my active lifestyle.

Marko
You have a 5S, right?  Is the additional screen size the deciding factor for you to upgrade?  It's pretty much an incremental upgrade otherwise isn't it?  If there wasn't a 6 Plus with a significantly bigger screen tempting me, I'd be fine with my iPhone 5 for the next year.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bromptonboy

Quote from: MARKO on October 09, 2014, 07:43:31 AM
I canceled my order for the Plus and purchased a 64gb 6.... i am very active ride a bike everyday hike and so forth the 6 plus is just too big for my active lifestyle.

Marko
That was my same concern - since I bike commute to work most days.  What sold me on getting the Plus (for the moment) is that I can remote control some systems at work - and the little bit of extra screen real estate will be a real help in a pinch.
I often get called off hours, and on weekends - if I do a simple task through my phone and not have to haul a laptop around, or head home to log in, it will really help.
Pete

MARKO

Well i borrowed my friends 6 plus and rode 20 miles it had a case on it which made it like a tablet in my pocket..... with the smaller phone i can take it out quick and with one hand and answer a call or reply to a text or use Map my ride all without worrying about dropping it because of its size. Also because i am so active i would have to put a good protective case on it and that just make it way too big. I have a 5s and yes the additional screen size of the 6 i held the 5s against the six and its a no brainer. I have an iPAD mini with cellular so if i need something bigger i always have that with me in my car.
"Amat Victoria Curam"

Bromptonboy

I like the idea of the iPad mini!  Lately I have been putting my phone in my pannier - but I get the issue of it being in your pocket.  I always have to pull over to check any calls.  Once (back when I was carrying a 2-way pager - which shows my age!) I crashed when checking a page and moving along on my bike.  :) 
Pete

Bromptonboy

I am on the phone with AT&T premiere support right now.  I am not seeing the option on the website to keep my current data plan (unlimited) when ordering the new phone.  Seems to have the techs in IM stumped, so they had me call the support number.
Pete

MARKO

My wife and i share 4 gb a month they took away the unlimited a few years ago..... we never come close to using it and they even threw in an extra 1gb per month for free.
"Amat Victoria Curam"

MARKO

Get a mini with the data plan its only $10 per month.
"Amat Victoria Curam"

Jobydrone

I don't get how if you stream movies or tv on the go how you could possibly stay under a 5gb data cap. I'd be over within a week I think.

Bromptonboy

I don't really come anywhere near to using much data.  I rarely use the old iPHone 4 for streaming content - but I might if I have a 5.5" screen.  When I do watch, it is at home and I use wifi.
As I said, I might change my habits if I have a good screen.
Pete

Feathers

Quote from: Jobydrone on October 09, 2014, 02:04:20 PM
I don't get how if you stream movies or tv on the go how you could possibly stay under a 5gb data cap. I'd be over within a week I think.

Hey, over here we have things like 500Mb data caps. Don't knock 5Gb, that's huge.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

But Mike is 500mb really typical? I easily go over that on my work phone every month with email, attachments, etc. and no streaming of TV or movies.

Bromptonboy

GRRRRR! 
Dear PETER FOLTZ,

Thank you for choosing AT&T as your service provider.

Per your request, unfortunately the plan this account is currently using is no longer supported within premier. You will need to purchase a new plan at this time.  If you need further assistance in choosing a compatible plan, please contact Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500 for your options.

So much for keeping unlimited data.  I'll call them and see what my options are.
Pete

Bromptonboy

Ok, I ordered the iPhone 6 Plus with 64GB.  I get to keep my unlimited data plan, and get my old talk-text plan.  $399 for phone, $40 one time upgrade fee, 2 year contract, 450 minutes talk - will be $79 per month (with my company service discount) all told.
Should get the phone in 25-35 days.  :(
Pete

Bromptonboy

forget to mention, the tech walked me through bypassing the data plan page.  You have to skip to the Voice tab, select a plan, then it allows you to keep unlimited data (if you are grandfathered in).
Pete