• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on April 24, 2013, 04:45:46 PM
Quote from: Jobydrone on April 24, 2013, 04:23:53 PM
not reading any of this stuff...

Chicken. :)

It's ok Joby, I guess I must be chicken too.  We've waited a long time for this movie.  I want to find out the details on opening day.  Not from the internet.

Bryancd

We enjoy our fandom in different ways. I'm not a fan of surprises in general. I've said it here before, I have been loving being spoiled since Empire Strikes Back. It's part of the fun for me, if they had issued a book of this movie a month prior to the release like the used to do back in the day, I would be gobbling it up! I love it, and this build up has been a hoot! Now I just get to finally see all come to life without all the expectations of anything. That way it's hard to be disappointed. :) I have made peace with the story and can't wait to see the final product.

X

I think that I've always enjoyed being spoiled. It lowers expectations and seems to make things more enjoyable. For me, since I already know the destination, I get to better enjoy the nuances of the journey.

KingIsaacLinksr

[spoiler]Even after thinking it over for a full day, I'm still not happy with this. I think its unnecessary fan-fiction because the writers couldn't come up with something original, something new. We gotta rehash an old movie plotline. Yay. That....that's just cute. I still have hopes this is fake but considering what we've seen in the trailers, it's hard to deny. We'll find out soon enough I guess.

I guess this is why I can't get excited about movies anymore. It's just one rehash/reboot/remake after the other. With more special effects than you can shake a stick at and less interesting characters, plots and universes. Boring, dry, and dull. [/spoiler]
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on April 24, 2013, 09:50:54 PM
[spoiler]Even after thinking it over for a full day, I'm still not happy with this. I think its unnecessary fan-fiction because the writers couldn't come up with something original, something new. We gotta rehash an old movie plotline. Yay. That....that's just cute. I still have hopes this is fake but considering what we've seen in the trailers, it's hard to deny. We'll find out soon enough I guess.

I guess this is why I can't get excited about movies anymore. It's just one rehash/reboot/remake after the other. With more special effects than you can shake a stick at and less interesting characters, plots and universes. Boring, dry, and dull. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I agree that's the initial knee jerk reaction, but I am going to take a step back and look at this as an interesting re-imaganing of TWOK. I sttill think it's going to be a fun ride. The biggest issue I have is that they are going to have Kirk die in a scene so identical to Spock's death. I think that was one step too far.[/spoiler]

Rico

Not to diverge off-topic too much, but for me there was nothing like seeing "The Empire Strikes Back" or "The Wrath of Khan" for the first time in theaters without already knowing about the big things that happened in those films.  That for me is pure movie magic.  Life has such few secrets and surprises anymore, that I relish any chance to experience those things when I can.  Heck, Lynn and I didn't even know if our kids were boys or girls until she delivered.  As Scotty likes to say, "that's exciting!"

But even with that, I respect those that don't care about those things.  Just keep those spoiler boxes coming then.

X

[spoiler] I think that there is a huge difference between the same and similar. This doesn't at all seem like a remake of TWOK. Sure you, if everything we've read is true, have some of the same characters, it's not the same story. It doesn't seem anymore TWOK than it does Space Seed. This entire story seems vastly different than those two points of access to Khan. It would be like saying every episode of a tv show is a remake of the pilot because the use many of the same characters. While there is a huge homage to the old series with the antagonist, there are also nods to other series with the inclusion of 31. Upon reading the synopsis, I've come to the conclusion that I needs to see how it play out, but the direction makes sense. They took a little bit of the old and added a truck load of the new. Initial reaction aside, that really works for me.

Other than Khan, this doesn't seem anything like TWOK and I think that I want to see where they go without prejudging the whole thing. I see this as far less than a reimagining and more of them looking into the universe and showing us how different this place is to the Prime universe.[/spoiler]

X

Quote from: Rico on April 25, 2013, 05:55:39 AM
Not to diverge off-topic too much, but for me there was nothing like seeing "The Empire Strikes Back" or "The Wrath of Khan" for the first time in theaters without already knowing about the big things that happened in those films.  That for me is pure movie magic.  Life has such few secrets and surprises anymore, that I relish any chance to experience those things when I can.  Heck, Lynn and I didn't even know if our kids were boys or girls until she delivered.  As Scotty likes to say, "that's exciting!"

But even with that, I respect those that don't care about those things.  Just keep those spoiler boxes coming then.
I get what you're saying, but I really never found surprises fun. Hell, I don't like Christmas presents because they are surprises on delay. I have a real need to know things and look for answers. I think it could be on the level of OCD.

Bryancd

Quote from: X on April 25, 2013, 06:05:04 AM
[spoiler] I think that there is a huge difference between the same and similar. This doesn't at all seem like a remake of TWOK. Sure you, if everything we've read is true, have some of the same characters, it's not the same story. It doesn't seem anymore TWOK than it does Space Seed. This entire story seems vastly different than those two points of access to Khan. It would be like saying every episode of a tv show is a remake of the pilot because the use many of the same characters. While there is a huge homage to the old series with the antagonist, there are also nods to other series with the inclusion of 31. Upon reading the synopsis, I've come to the conclusion that I needs to see how it play out, but the direction makes sense. They took a little bit of the old and added a truck load of the new. Initial reaction aside, that really works for me.

Other than Khan, this doesn't seem anything like TWOK and I think that I want to see where they go without prejudging the whole thing. I see this as far less than a reimagining and more of them looking into the universe and showing us how different this place is to the Prime universe.[/spoiler]

Agreed.  :thumbsup

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on April 25, 2013, 05:55:39 AM

Totally appreciate that point of view. For some reason I have been conditioned to assume life's suprises are more often then not undesirable and too be avoided at all costs! It makes sense when I consider my chosen career, risk management, is the avoidance of suprises and I live it!

Rico, did you at least llok at the pic I posted? It's not really a spoiler and is all over the web. I was curious to get your thoughts on the design.

Rico

I've seen the pic of the big ship.  The ship is in the a couple of the trailer versions too and I consider trailers ok to look at since they are meant to tease and excite us for the film.  Hard to get a feel for the design from the pics - it's a bit of a dark colored ship.  Which is a change itself from most Starfleet vessels.

Bryancd

Here is one with the contrast cranked up! I don't like it, it just doesn't look like it's from the Trek universe. It looks like a Starfleet ship combined with the Galactica or something. Too busy..  :thumbsdown But short lived, this is clearly the ship that crashes into San Francisco.

ChrisMC

The open saucer is kinda cool. It looks like one of those weird ships from the battle in First Contact.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

Knowing that the writers of this film know Trek and also know how the fans are about things like ships, I'm certain there will be some answers about this ship put in the film.  My guess still at this point is that it isn't a solely built by Starfleet ship - unless it's some kind of prototype.