• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

WOW! Firefly is REALLY good!

Started by Bryancd, December 14, 2009, 08:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Yes, yes, I know, no sh#t sherlock, but I had never seen it and finally got around to NetFlixing the first 3 episodes and was blown away. The first thing that struck me was how they did their space shot's and I realized that BSG, which I though was so original in that regrad, had ripped off Firefly! Very well done. Then I'm like, 'Hey, that's the chick from V!' and 'Hey, now I know who Rico named his dog after!' LOL! Kaylee is super cute! The stories are amazingly original and very well done and produced. I love it and can't wait to watch more!

Rico

Welcome to the party.  And yes, Kaylee is name after Kaylee on "Firefly."  One of the related reasons is Kaylee's mommy is named Zoe (also a character on Firefly - but not related).

It's an awesome series!

X

Don't feel bad. I watched it from day one and loved it. I didn't complain about how it wasn't aired right or anything because it was good regardless of that. A lot of people have their excuses on why they didn't see it the first time. The only thing that matters is that you finally saw it.

Your reaction was the one my friends had when I came to Farscape five episodes in. I missed the first five because I wasn't going to watch some fake star trek about muppets in space.

Oops ... I was wrong. Probably won't be the last time!

Anyway, welcome to the world of Firefly. Watch them all before you watch Serenity. It's really important that you do it in that order.

Geekyfanboy

That's awesome Bryan.. so glad you have joined the Browncoats.. you're in for a real treat...

ori-STUDFARM

Time for me to hand in my geek badge.....I know i'll love it....when I get around to watching it [RunningOffInShame] SORRY! [/RunningOffInShame]

Bryancd

I think a lot of people missed it when it first aired. I can't even recall even being aware of it, to be honest.

billybob476

One of the best shows that pretty much never was. My wife and I both looove it. Undoubtedly Joss at his best. I only wish we could have had more.

ElfManDan

Still is my favorite show ever and I've gotten my whole family and more friends then I can count on my fingers to love it as well (though I have more then triple that amount of people who I've suggested it to who haven't watched it and seem to think it'll just be some cheesy scifi). I think just about everyone would love it if they gave it the chance.

Bromptonboy

I have been wanting to watch this series for years.  I have Serenity on the DVR, but haven't watched it.

Does it make sense to watch the series first before hitting Serenity?  I like to watch things in order.
Pete

ElfManDan

Quote from: Bromptonboy on December 14, 2009, 03:46:27 PM
I have been wanting to watch this series for years.  I have Serenity on the DVR, but haven't watched it.

Does it make sense to watch the series first before hitting Serenity?  I like to watch things in order.

I would say definitely watch the series first if you can. It'll make the movie ten times better.

Feathers

I only watched this at the end of last year so don't feel too bad about it! Serenity aired over here a couple of months ago and I saw that then.

For those who ask, definately take the movie after the series. Kenny advised me thus...and he was right.

I guess the film stands alone, but it plays on a number of 'familiar' things if you've seen the series first and character progression seems to start from series end.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Serenity

I obviously love Firefly!!!   I'd have to say it's my favorite show ever.  Serenity is such a cool ship, funny cause it doesn't have weapons and could seem kinda lame if you didn't know her.  There is just something about that ship that's really special.

My favorite episode is Our Mrs Reynolds(go YoSafBridge)  Out of Gas is a close second( Kaylee on her back under the engine) :)

I just bought my 6th box set as a Christmas gift.  They are only $25 up here in Canada.  So think about giving somebody Firefly for Christmas!   

I got both my parents and in-laws hooked as well as my neighbours who are retired.  I've yet to meet anyone that didn't like it when they have given it a chance!

Just heard that QMX has got the licence to produce Firefly merchandise(about time) so look forward to more stuff from the Verse!!

Stay Shiny

Ryan

Ps  Brian, you should listen to the Signal podcast.  Its pretty much the definitive Firefly podcast.

wraith1701

Welcome to the club, Bryan! The show really kicks butt, and it just keeps getting better with each episode. And whatever you do, DO NOT watch the movie until you finish the series.  :)

Roddenberry

Firstly sorry for the bump on this and I hope I'm not breaking any forum etiquette , but I was a latecomer to Firefly as well. 

It's one of the few shows I've watched in which I genuinely can't understand why it was cancelled.  Kudos to the crew of Serenity, they really seemed liked they'd been 'working together' for a long time, seemed to have their own short hand.  I must say that whilst I enjoyed Serenity, it left me feeling empty, the closure was definitive.  I was a little disappointed with Shepherd's demise, not the death, just the way it was handled, almost crow-barred in to the film, but I have been thinking about it of late.  Book seemed like a man after redemption, a man with a past and if we  can't go back to Serenty, maybe Joss can start writing The Good Book, the story of his past and if all we got was 12-13 episodes, I'd take it.

Ooh, nearly forgot, what a theme song.

Rico

Never too late to join us Browncoats!  You can't stop the signal!