• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Do you like Star Trek Remastered?

Started by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, June 12, 2007, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan M

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard
The CG model looks fantastic, but when it's moving as slow as it does, it looks incredibly fake.
That would be a matter of opinion. :)
Naturally, a starship would be quick and agile since there's no gravity nor atmosphere in space.  In the 1960's, they had filmed models, so it makes sense for the ships to move slowly as that's the best they could do.  Given today's special effects technology, we can now portray starships as we'd expect them to move. 
Not every spaceship is a fighter-jet in space.  The Enterprise should move more like a Star Destroyer than an X-Wing, whether it's being portrayed with state-of-the-art CGI or with 1960s technology.

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc PicardHaving a CG space ship move like a 1960's motion control model just... doesn't... work...  It looks incredibly fake. :blink
That would be a matter of opinion. :)

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Quote from: Locutus on June 13, 2007, 01:36:10 PM
Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on June 13, 2007, 11:25:46 AMStar Trek: The Motion Picture only has the Director's Edition available on DVD, you cannot buy the Theatrical Edition on DVD.  I fear the same may eventually happen to the TV show. ::)
But why would anyone want the Theatrical version, when the Director's version IS what was intended to be on screen in the first place?
I feel the original version of a movie should be preserved and available to the audience regardless of weather that was the intended final product or not.  That's what was shown at the movie theater and available on VHS for quite some time.  There are some people who prefer this version over the Director's Cut.  I don't know any personally, but whenever you redit a movie and make some changes, there will always be a large group of people who prefer the original cut of the movie.  Besides, is plenty of room for it on Disc 1.

QuoteWhile I agree that, generally speaking, I prefer the original versions, sometimes the redone one is much better, or at least equivalent to the original - i.e. both versions of Blade Runner.
It just seems easier on the audience to release the original and speciail edition versions of the movie on one DVD with the special features on a second disc.  If you don't like the Special Edition version, go the the main menu and select Theatrical Edition.  It really should be that simple. :)

Quote from: pickard on June 13, 2007, 01:50:39 PM
Not every spaceship is a fighter-jet in space.  The Enterprise should move more like a Star Destroyer than an X-Wing, whether it's being portrayed with state-of-the-art CGI or with 1960s technology.
Space ships are not boats, they are not planes, thus they will not behave in the same manner!  Not mad, just wanted that to get your attention.  A starship, like Star Trek's Enterprise, should be extremely maneuverable since space is a vacuum, there's nothing out there to slow it down!  Ships wouldn't have one side dip downward when turning either.  That's an atmospheric maneuver.  In space, the ship would simply turn.  If you needed to turn around, you'd come to a stop, spin to the desired direction, then go.

The only reason why ships moved so dang slow in Star Trek is because of special effects limitations.  When we saw ships moving slowly in the movies, it was to present the audience a sense of scale, to show that this ship is massive!  The idea is that the ship is moving very fast, but it's sheer size makes it appear as if it's moving slowly.

Rico

Word of warning and some suggestions --- please go to the chat room or conversations or email or even PM's if you want to have back and forth exchanges like this.  This isn't the best way to post here.  Just state your views and move on.  If you want to have a conversation, please take it elsewhere.  Thanks.

Bryancd

I say let this thread continue, it's fun and some interesting points are being made. I for one enjoy a good debate and think as long as it's respectful, a lot of interesting comments come from the free exchange of ideas.

I for one like the remastered TOS espisodes for what they are, a new look at an old friend. I own all the TOS shows on DVD and will probably get these as well when they come out. Same goes for SW Ep.IV. I dig the S.E. but often I just want to see it as I did when I was 8 in the theater. I don't think there is any chance the original TOS will ever NOT be available, it's all over syndication and video/DVD, so the chances of never seeing it again in it's original form is nil. TMP is out there on Beta/VHS and can easily be seen by anyone wanting it. I do think the Directors Cut was done is such a subtle way as to not distyract the viewer out of the 1979 original look. As far as how a ship should look in space, let's start a new thread about that one!

Ktrek

Quote from: Rico on June 13, 2007, 05:04:02 PM
Word of warning and some suggestions --- please go to the chat room or conversations or email or even PM's if you want to have back and forth exchanges like this.  This isn't the best way to post here.  Just state your views and move on.  If you want to have a conversation, please take it elsewhere.  Thanks.

Rico,

I think I'm confused as to what your objection would be? I haven't seen or read anything that would require moderator warnings and the discussion has not gotten out of hand. Perhaps you could be more explicit about what is bugging you and why? Or at least look at your own feelings to see what is bringing about this reaction. I say this respectfully and as one who has run message boards for a very long time now.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

What do you mean by, "This isn't the best way to post here?"  Are you talking about my long winded posts?  That's how long my posts usually are wether I am posting here or at another message board.  If you feel I'm going off topic, I appologize.  Can we not discuss other movie/TV remasterings in additional to Star Trek?  It aids in the discussion when we have other examples to compare to.  As for wanting to have a conversation... uh... isn't that what a message board is for? :confused

Quote from: Bryancd on June 13, 2007, 07:31:19 PM
I for one like the remastered TOS espisodes for what they are, a new look at an old friend. I own all the TOS shows on DVD and will probably get these as well when they come out. Same goes for SW Ep.IV. I dig the S.E. but often I just want to see it as I did when I was 8 in the theater. I don't think there is any chance the original TOS will ever NOT be available, it's all over syndication and video/DVD, so the chances of never seeing it again in it's original form is nil.
What I would like to see is a future DVD release there you pop in a DVD, select the episode, select Original Broadcast or Special Edition, and then navigate that episode's menu or press play.  That way, you don't have people like me complaining about availability of the originals.  It also allows those who like both versions of the episode to own both without having six season sets. :blink

QuoteTMP is out there on Beta/VHS and can easily be seen by anyone wanting it.
What is Beta? :blink I know a lot of people that either don't have a VCR anymore or flat out refuse to buy a VHS cassette when they can buy the DVD, so that's not really a comfort.  The theatrical version of the movie should be available on DVD.  I would seriously like to know why they did not include both versions of the movie on Disc 1 of the 2-Disc DVD release. :-\

QuoteI do think the Directors Cut was done is such a subtle way as to not distyract the viewer out of the 1979 original look.
I love the Director's Editon, and I love how the editted and new scenes look as though they could have been done in 1979 had they been given enough time. :biggrin

QuoteAs far as how a ship should look in space, let's start a new thread about that one!
OK! :biggrin

Dan M

It's your playground, Rico, but this doesn't make much sense to me.  Isn't this a place for conversations?  Again, we're all just visitors in your house, but these back and forth exchanges don't seem like they should be a problem.

Rico

Probably not the best place to do this, but let me explain further.  This came up a few times in the past before some of you joined the forum.  I added a Conversation section and a Chat Room for back and forth exchanges - like the type I am seeing here.  When a thread becomes a point - counterpoint between two or just a few people it doesn't become very useful for everyone else.  It's like just listening in to a phone conversation.  So I encourage those types of "chats" to go to these other areas.

Probably my bigger problem is once again these types of threads end up following the "rabbit season" vs. "duck season" model.  One person says it's "rabbit season" and the next says it's "duck season."  Insert your own replacements such as I like such and such.  Then another says, no that's wrong, I don't like such and such.  Now that would almost be fine if it ended after one or two exchanges, but when it continues is when I start to feel it isn't going anywhere.

Anyway I hope that explains my points more clearly.

Bryancd

Well, since this is now out in the open...
Who's to say this type of thread isn't useful? I for one really enjoy the dynacism of a conversation like this and enjoy reading or partaking. It's up to me, if I don't like a thread, I don't read it, no big deal. A thread is an organic thing and should have some spark and a life of it's own. It's born, evloves, and always die's off once everyone has had their thoughts vetted. You can't limit an exchange of views to "ok, 2 point and then you are done." That's not how people interact.
It's you board Rico, but just because you don't like this kind of posting doesn't mean others don't or that it's somehow harmful to the community. On the contrary, I think it shows passion and heart. Don't kill that just because it makes you uncomfortable, embrace your dysfunctional family! :)

Rico

I've said all I wanted to say.  Back to the Trek remastered topic please....

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Quote from: Rico on June 14, 2007, 04:32:16 AM
Probably not the best place to do this, but let me explain further.  This came up a few times in the past before some of you joined the forum.  I added a Conversation section and a Chat Room for back and forth exchanges - like the type I am seeing here.  When a thread becomes a point - counterpoint between two or just a few people it doesn't become very useful for everyone else.  It's like just listening in to a phone conversation.  So I encourage those types of "chats" to go to these other areas.
That's not a chat, it's a message board discussion. :blink Seriously, this is how I post on message boards. :blink I will make sure that future long posts contain new content and don't get repetative, OK? :biggrin Now, back on topic... :spidey

Rico, do you like my suggestion of having both original broadcast and special edition episodes in the same DVD set? :biggrin

Bryancd

I do, but I think that a la Lucasfilm, the studios realize more money can be made by generating multiple editions because we end up buying them. For TOS, first we had very expensive 2 episodes per DVD set's. Then they come out with the three box, season per box set. Now we will see a 3 box remastered set, which like the suckers we are, we'll buy. As long as the market place supports multiple editions, they 'll keep figuring out new ways to re-issue it. We have TOS on DVD, nicely cleaned up and restored on 2 different DVD sets, I would count on anything beyond that in the future.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

The 40 two-episode DVD's were from a time when TV on DVD was a new concept.  Then The X Files came along and introduced the idea of season sets.  Paramount realised they made a mistake and thus released the spin-off shows in the season set format.  Then they rereleased Star Trek on in the season set format.  I'm glad they did, because $10 for two episodes is too expensive.  Buying an entire season for $50 is downright awesome!

If they do another release, it'll probably be HD-DVD, but a lot of movies and TV shows are being rereleased on this format, so you can't really blame Paramount Home Video.  Personally, I won't be getting the HD-DVD's.  The current DVD's we have today are fantastic.  I think this HD-DVD thing is just a scam to get you to buy movies twice. ::) I'm waiting for a new format that's as different from DVD as DVD is from VHS. ;D

Some movies have both a theatrical edition and a special edition within one DVD release.  Sometimes they're on one disc, but sometimes they're on separate discs in one case.  The Abyss, all 4 Alien movies, and the first three Star Wars movies have this feature. 8)

Rico

I think it's a good possibility that the next TOS DVD release on some HD form will contain both the original versions and the remastered versions.

I'm actually one of the Trek nuts that bought all of TOS on the 2 episodes per DVD when they first came out.  There is a tiny quality improvement for those since they didn't compress 4 episodes on to one DVD like they did with the box season sets.

Frankly, I see a time in the near future where no one will own any type of DVD's.  It will become all video on demand.  Wouldn't it be great to spend a small fee per month to be able to watch anything you want at any time?   Like they are doing with some music services now.

Bryancd

I think people will always want the tangible. I think holding the DVD, with the art cover, with the bonus discs will have a place in the market for a long time. I think we will see downloadable vidoe content which can be purchased and stored by the purchaser. So instaed of DVD's, you have a hard drive of your show or movie that can be viewed on your home TV. Just like AppleTV working with iTunes to download and rent films, you can own them as well.