• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Ron Moore's "Helix" - series

Started by Rico, November 30, 2013, 07:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Coming to the SyFy channel in January.  I'm there!

Syfy has debuted this new preview for "Helix," from executive producer Ron Moore ("Battlestar Galactica"). The sci-fi thriller premieres on Friday, January 10 at 10/9c.

"Helix" is an intense thriller about a team of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control who travel to a high-tech research facility in the Arctic to investigate a possible disease outbreak, only to find themselves pulled into a terrifying life-and-death struggle that may hold the key to mankind's salvation or total annihilation. However, the lethal threat is just the tip of the iceberg, and as the virus evolves, the chilling truth begins to unravel.

Billy Campbell stars as Dr. Alan Farragut, leader of the Centers for Disease Control outbreak field team called upon to investigate and control a potential "hot zone" at a remote Arctic research facility. Hiroyuki Sanada plays Dr. Hiroshi Hataki, director of the outpost and its mysterious viral research program. The show also stars Kyra Zagorsky as Dr. Julia Walker, Mark Ghanimé as Major Sergio Balleseros, Jordan Hayes as Dr. Sarah Jordan, Meegwun Fairbrother as Daniel Aerov, Catherine Lemieux as Dr. Doreen Boyle and Neil Napier as Dr. Peter Farragut.

P.S. I see a certain former Borg drone in the preview...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI4R2WY11yM#ws

Bromptonboy

Hmmm, Andromeda Strain-like, but sounds promising.
Pete

Rico

Just watched the first set of episodes and enjoyed it.  Good setup for things to come I think.  Cast seems good and I like the remote setting.  Some of it seems like things we have seen before, but I'll keep watching for now since I have faith in Ron Moore.

Bryancd

Yeah, I liked it. Jamie didn't but I think I will stick with it.

Rico

I thought I was watching the Prometheus movie again with all the black goo everywhere! :)

Bryancd

And the kind of ill advised safety protocols of some of these scientists!

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on January 12, 2014, 05:49:12 AM
And the kind of ill advised safety protocols of some of these scientists!

Yeah.  I'm hoping things get a bit more complex in the next couple of episodes.  So far, the story looks like one we've seen before.

Bryancd

And highly trained professionals who at the first sign of trouble become knife wielding thugs!

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on January 12, 2014, 06:33:06 AM
And highly trained professionals who at the first sign of trouble become knife wielding thugs!

Yeah, that is very silly!  True scientists are frankly the most sensible, logical, patient people around.  :)

Bromptonboy

I have the DVR set to grab the episodes - I'll give it a try.
Pete

Rico

Third episode was ok, but I'm finding the show predictable.  Not quite sure about this Ron Moore effort.

Bryancd

Bromptonboy

I have some 'alone time' this weekend, so might try to get caught up on this show.
Pete

Rico

Bromptonboy

The wife & daughter going to Vermont to ski - my son doing a Scout weekend (I stay behind in case he needs help) - so I should be able to do a deep dive into this series starting Saturday.
Pete