• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Mad Men

Started by Praxis, April 13, 2013, 10:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Praxis

I finally got around to watching the Mad Men season premiere from last Sunday. It was such a strange and disjointed episode with (in my opinion) unnecessary proliferation of characters. Anyone else watch mad men? Curious to hear someone else's perspective.

billybob476

Yeah it was a bit odd. I guess we'll see how the season progresses. I found last season a bit weaker as well.

ChrisMC

It was too long, a bit slow. But knowing Mad Men it will be a slow burn. I thought last season was pretty good actually. The strangest character in the premiere was Betty. I really don't understand what motivates her at all.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Praxis

Quote from: billybob476 on April 13, 2013, 10:22:05 AM
Yeah it was a bit odd. I guess we'll see how the season progresses. I found last season a bit weaker as well.

Yeah we'll have to see what happens. Sometimes season premiers don't hit the ground running. I have faith as I've been fan thus far.

Quote from: Chris-El on April 13, 2013, 11:06:06 AM
It was too long, a bit slow. But knowing Mad Men it will be a slow burn. I thought last season was pretty good actually. The strangest character in the premiere was Betty. I really don't understand what motivates her at all.

Yes maybe it was the length... It seems like they usually can fit more into less time. I agree about last season, I quite liked it. Yes Betty was good stuff. She is interesting. Far more interesting than the new wife. I like the stuff with Peggy as well. I would have liked more screen time with some of the other office characters too (instead of the new doctor character, etc), but alas they will get to them in good time.

Praxis

Just watched latest:  [spoiler] I thought it was a good episode, but Don has become a less interesting character for me because he just always seems to be spinning his wheels, regressing to the same ol' behavior. This is pretty realistic but I'm not sure it makes for good entertainment. And his new wife (always forget her name) is still blahhh *yawn*.  I'm liking the Peggy story line. And the Heinz and Jag stuff is really fun. It's funny how the "on the next mad men" preview is always spliced together such as to give you NO IDEA what's happening next. :) [/spoiler]

Praxis

Wow, getting interesting!
[spoiler]The merger is crazy! I like this emerging tit-for-tat between Don and the head partner from the other firm. Good stuff. And umm... Don is a FREAK, y'know?  :o [/spoiler]

ChrisMC

Not only is he, but [spoiler] he is also apparently needy. When the tables got turned on him, he really turned into a submissive guy! Gotta wonder how this affair is going to haunt him...maybe Sylvia feels so guilty (catholic) she confesses to Megan? [/spoiler] This year is all about demystifying Don and really, really making him less likable. For me, anyway.

Praxis

Quote from: ChrisMC on May 15, 2013, 03:06:53 PM
Not only is he, but [spoiler] he is also apparently needy. When the tables got turned on him, he really turned into a submissive guy! Gotta wonder how this affair is going to haunt him...maybe Sylvia feels so guilty (catholic) she confesses to Megan? [/spoiler] This year is all about demystifying Don and really, really making him less likable. For me, anyway.

Yeah, [spoiler]he's really showing weakness. I agree with you, he's becoming less likeable. Although this seems to come in cycles--maybe he'll hit a rock bottom in the next few episodes and then come back as cool Don. I have a feeling that by the end of the series Don will just still be Don; not really growing, not really changing. I think it might be a good thing for the show if Megan found out about Sylvia because we might get to see a side of Megan that would make her a more interesting/3-dimensional character. If not, I'd like more screen time for other characters.[/spoiler]

billybob476

I think this is being done purpousfully. We're inching closer to the 70s and everyone else has noticeably changed appearance, sideburns, mustaches, different clothes, etc. Everyone except Don. Don doesn't change. The show is about him dealing with the rapidly changing world around him.

ChrisMC

I love anything with Roger and Burt Cooper. They are great. I'm also really liking the Ted Chough character, hope he stays on the show....though him being a pilot...hmmm. Foreshadow?

Praxis

Quote from: billybob476 on May 17, 2013, 07:35:32 AM
I think this is being done purpousfully. We're inching closer to the 70s and everyone else has noticeably changed appearance, sideburns, mustaches, different clothes, etc. Everyone except Don. Don doesn't change. The show is about him dealing with the rapidly changing world around him.
Ah, really good observation.

Quote from: ChrisMC on May 17, 2013, 07:54:15 AM
I love anything with Roger and Burt Cooper. They are great. I'm also really liking the Ted Chough character, hope he stays on the show....though him being a pilot...hmmm. Foreshadow?
Hell yeah, great characters. Yeah, about the pilot thing--->

So, curious to see what you guys think. This probably doesn't need a spoiler tag since it's just speculation, but might as well... [spoiler]Maybe this is an obvious point to everybody and that's what your referring to above, but it seems like there's some sort of falling/heights/death motif going on with Don. I mean, the whole opening title sequence obviously. But other things: That strange incident with the elevator doors and the open shaft, and now Don being petrified in Ted's plane. Are there other examples I'm missing? Do you think Don is destined for tragedy at the end of the show? Jumping off the building or something? [/spoiler]

Praxis

Just caught up. Wow, shiz really hit the fan. Loving it.

ChrisMC

Yes, Don's ego is being chipped away at...with the 2 daughter figures in his life thinking he is a piece of crap...AND HE IS! Pete Campbell has turned around his fortunes, it appears, the finale should be interesting. They only showed clips from the season in the preview, nothing from the actual show.

Praxis

Quote from: ChrisMC on June 22, 2013, 05:00:26 PM
Yes, Don's ego is being chipped away at...with the 2 daughter figures in his life thinking he is a piece of crap...AND HE IS! Pete Campbell has turned around his fortunes, it appears, the finale should be interesting. They only showed clips from the season in the preview, nothing from the actual show.
And the finale was interesting indeed. Awesome episode!!! So many great scenes.
Arg, they keep teasing us....once again Don's redemption seems just around the corner....NOT.

ChrisMC

Quote from: Praxis on June 28, 2013, 12:48:05 PM
Quote from: ChrisMC on June 22, 2013, 05:00:26 PM
And the finale was interesting indeed. Awesome episode!!! So many great scenes.
Arg, they keep teasing us....once again Don's redemption seems just around the corner....NOT.
I believe it is. I think the ending and the scene in the Hershey's meeting show that Don is letting Dick Whitman out to breathe, and I think perhaps the show will end with the (second) death of Don Draper and the beginning of the rest of Dick Whitman's life. I feel bad for Peggy, though she DID end up in Don's office, nice foreshadow?