News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Star Wars on Blu-Ray

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 17, 2010, 10:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davekill

Holy womp-rat !

Looks like George Lucas has been busy changing or deleting hundreds of scenes for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

Meds

Feathers

There's a lot in that article, I didn't get even halfway through.

I'm with Meds. Boycott the release! (No Blu-Ray player and no TV worth plugging one into)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bryancd

A lot of people over on the ForceCast,  Rebelscum, and StarWars Action News are loving the sets. And so shall I. Enjoy your boycott.. :)

X

Quote from: Bryancd on September 17, 2011, 08:23:15 PM
A lot of people over on the ForceCast,  Rebelscum, and StarWars Action News are loving the sets. And so shall I. Enjoy your boycott.. :)

There are so many things I can say in response to that, but instead I will say ... I'm glad that you're enjoying it.

Bryancd

ElfManDan

Quote from: Feathers on September 17, 2011, 01:16:27 PM

I'm with Meds. Boycott the release! (No Blu-Ray player and no TV worth plugging one into)

I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe if I had a Blu-Ray player... and a TV.

Geekyfanboy

I don't care what folks are saying about Star Wars or George or whatever... I'm a Star Wars fan, I will always be a Star Wars fan and these minor changes and fixes won't make me change my mind. Everyone is entitled to their opinions just like I have my own, which really is the only one that counts for me.  Now I will admit I'm getting tired of all the Star Wars hating and George bashing but the great thing about that is I can stop reading/listening to it. 

I've had the blu-ray for two days now I still haven't unsealed it because I am so busy. I hope to take a few hours tomorrow and pop in the extras DVD and check it out. I'm watching all six months next weekend for my Star Wars Marathon/BBQ/Birthday weekend.

QuadShot

Kenny, Bryan, I agree with you 100%. I've been a fan of George Lucas since I first saw American Graffiti and think he's really quite talented. He's obviously got something, otherwise he wouldn't inspire so many people to debate about him. Say what you will, but one thing you cannot deny is that boy has talent, for his craft and for business. And Kenny, I am devastated that Joyce and I can't make it to your party. It was to be the highlight of my month. Honestly. :(

QuadShot

Quote from: Sheppard on September 17, 2011, 08:45:24 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe if I had a Blu-Ray player... and a TV.

Boycott eh? It's like those folks who want to protest the high price of gas here in the US. "Let's show the big oil companies. Don't buy any gas on this day!" Uh huh. That'll show 'em! NOT! Sorry Meds and company, I love ya', but I'm rooting for George on this one.

moyer777

well I spent a bunch of time today watching the extras on the Blu Ray set.  And Andrew and I watched A new Hope.  All very excellent.  Man, so clear and bright compared to my other copies of it.  Very, Very good. 

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

X

Quote from: Bryancd on September 17, 2011, 08:35:07 PM
Exactly my point.
No, seriously, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I have no interest in seeing it, not for some silly boycott reason or anything like that, but because I've lost interest in the films.

I also don't see any bashing going on around my circle. People either like or don't like the changes and they are voicing why that's the case. The funniest review I've read in a long time was someone questioning GL's stated reason for the changes. Somewhere he said that he was making changes that couldn't be captured in his vision because of the lack of technology to do it. They wondered how the FX department didn't have the tech available for Greedo to shoot first in the original cut. I got a laugh out of that, but it wasn't bashing Gl.

Some other reviewers pointed out that GL didn't direct 5 and 6 and by the very nature of his enhancements was altering the vision of the directors and again that had me pause for a minute. Nor did he write the screenplay for empire and was a co-writer on Return. Granted he does own the franchise and is free to do what he wants, but I can't help but wonder if any other producers or co-writers decided to go behind a director and change a movie, how it would be received and how the directors would feel. I do know that when the long version of Dune was recut, Lynch asked for his name to be taken off the project because it undermined his vision as the director.

In the end, I just have to shrug because I don't have the passion for a spirited debate on the subject. I'm glad that people are finding enjoyment in the movie and I don't fault them for it, but I think my heart is now with the further adventures of the Skywalkers and Solos in the EU. George is going to do what he thinks is best for his franchise and regardless if you agree or not with those changes, those who are protesting the changes the loudest are still going to run out and buy the movie.

I am a fan of star wars, but that doesn't mean that I need to buy every product that gets released to still call myself a fan. Nor does it mean that I have to stay stuck in the universe of the six films. I adore what star wars has become and I was shelling out hard earned money in the lean years when all we got were novels, West End games RPGs, and Tie Fighter and X-Wing PC games.

I'm also happy that people are buying the movies because that might get them interested in the books and generate more EU books that I can devour due to increased demand. Do I prefer when Lucas is more a guiding hand than a leading voice of the franchise? Yes! Every one of my favorite things were done when he was the guiding voice and not the captain of the ship. Still, I don't begrudge him wanting to have a bigger role in shaping the vision of what I feel were the best movies of the franchise.

In the end, we all have our preferences and I've discovered that mine are with the EU, the novels and games are where my passions rage the strongest.

ElfManDan

Quote from: QuadShot on September 17, 2011, 09:24:35 PM
Quote from: Sheppard on September 17, 2011, 08:45:24 PM

Boycott eh? It's like those folks who want to protest the high price of gas here in the US. "Let's show the big oil companies. Don't buy any gas on this day!" Uh huh. That'll show 'em! NOT! Sorry Meds and company, I love ya', but I'm rooting for George on this one.

Well I'm just joking Al. I'd buy it probably if I had a Blu-Ray player. I don't even have a TV at the moment. I'm a recently graduated poor college student out of a job. I can't afford this stuff.

Frankly my opinion whatever George wants to do with his Star Wars, fine. I don't hate George or Star Wars. I don't really care. I'd prefer the original versions for the most part and I kinda wish he'd stop messing with it all, but I just don't care, it's still Star Wars. And give it a few years and they will probably release a Theatrical Blu-Ray version anyway.

QuadShot

Shep, no worries bud. One thing you'll find here, especial from us "old timers" (no comment from YOU Meds!) is that we can disagree, argue, disagree, debate, and disagree some more, but there's RARELY any hard feelings. We all share a wonderful passion for our geekdom, which is why we're here in the first place. Oh, and just for the record, NEVER take anything I say seriously. I'm what you could call the comic relief here! :) Rock on dude.

Dangelus

Guys, nobody on this forum AFAIK is boycotting this release. The "boycott" phrase came from a joke Meds made and I responded to about not having a Blu-Ray player hence he's not buying it. He put this in spoiler boxes so people may not have seen it.

We are a great community not a bunch of militants.

We have had a few moans and a little banter but it has all been in good taste, nobody is Lucas "bashing" either. We all have different tastes and expectations that's all. We've made a few jokes based around the changes, all in good fun.

I'm thrilled Star Wars is out on Blu-Ray and one day I will pick it up because Im a Star Wars fan. It is what it is, it's here and let's enjoy it! :)