• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Wars on Blu-Ray

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 17, 2010, 10:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Dangelus on September 16, 2011, 05:52:31 AM
A review of the Blu-Ray set by Jamie Benning, the creator of the Star Wars "filmumentaries" Star Wars Begins, Building Empire and Returning To Jedi.

It is a fair and balanced review so be warned ;) There's no "5 out of 5 because it's Star Wars on Blu-Ray" attitude here so think twice before clicking!

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/09/jamie-benning-reviews-the-star-wars-blu-ray-set/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wiredgeekdad+%28Blog+-+GeekDad%29

LOL.. yeah if you're liking the review Dan I know I will not.. think I'll skip it.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Bryancd on September 16, 2011, 06:08:02 AM
So we have "begrudgingly" live with STAR WARS for the past 10 years? Not this cowboy, I love the Special Editions. I am so over the fanboy nonesense. Buy them or don't, I really don't care. I plan on enjoying them. This review clearly was predisposed to not like these, how you consider this fair and balanced really escapes me, Dan.

You're AWESOME Bryan.. I'm right there with you..

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on September 16, 2011, 07:31:06 AM
Quote from: Bryancd on September 16, 2011, 06:08:02 AM
So we have "begrudgingly" live with STAR WARS for the past 10 years? Not this cowboy, I love the Special Editions. I am so over the fanboy nonesense. Buy them or don't, I really don't care. I plan on enjoying them. This review clearly was predisposed to not like these, how you consider this fair and balanced really escapes me, Dan.

You're AWESOME Bryan.. I'm right there with you..

I have to agree with Bryan, that was anything but balanced and fair.  He's about as balanced as Fox News is...

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Dangelus

Quote from: Bryancd on September 16, 2011, 06:26:39 AM
Yes, I read it and his bias is all over the place. He clearly states he doesn't even like the prequals, so he dislikes 50% of the franchise. Come on, Dan.  ::)

What SW fan isn't biased in some way? I dare say you are terribly biased yourself. He gives the set 3.5 out of 5 which I find to be a pretty fair score.

Your not judging the review based to the points he makes about the content of the discs and seem to not like the fact he is criticising it at all.

He has bought the set and is basically saying it's worth it for the extras alone so I just don't get it....

QuadShot

Tim, that's what Bryan WAS saying...that the review was NOT balanced, nor fair...man, kids these days. You have the attention span of....huh? Wait, what was I saying?

QuadShot

Quote from: Dangelus on September 16, 2011, 08:07:49 AM
Quote from: Bryancd on September 16, 2011, 06:26:39 AM
Yes, I read it and his bias is all over the place. He clearly states he doesn't even like the prequals, so he dislikes 50% of the franchise. Come on, Dan.  ::)

What SW fan isn't biased in some way? I dare say you are terribly biased yourself. He gives the set 3.5 out of 5 which I find to be a pretty fair score.

Your not judging the review based to the points he makes about the content of the discs and seem to not like the fact he is criticising it at all.

He has bought the set and is basically saying it's worth it for the extras alone so I just don't get it....

I've not read the review, because honestly, why bother? I like Star Wars, and I'll most likely buy the Blu Rays. So, the reviews of people like that, who I don't even know, have zero impact on me. But, Dan is correct about bias. The very nature of BEING a fan indicates that you ARE biased. That aside...Han Shot First!!!

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: QuadShot on September 16, 2011, 08:09:04 AM
Tim, that's what Bryan WAS saying...that the review was NOT balanced, nor fair...man, kids these days. You have the attention span of....huh? Wait, what was I saying?

Uhh....yeah, I got that.  The only reason I quoted Kenny is because it was easier ;). I don't have a short attention Span, I'm just lazy =P

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Dangelus

Al, that is the attitude of the majority of fans. "I like SW, its on blu-ray, I'm buying it." I have ZERO problem with that.

I agree these people don't need to read reviews because they know what they're getting or don't care what they're getting.

Reviews are for people who are dissatisfied with what they've got. :)

Rico

Guys, there is no such thing as an unbiased review of an an art form like a movie, book, tv show, etc.  What I always tend to do is to listen to the opinions of people that have similar tastes and interests to me.  The bottom line for me on this is I'm buying it.  I might not like some of the changes, but it's still well worth buying since I'm a fan and the picture and sound quality of this set should be far above anything previously released.  That alone makes it worth it - at least for me.

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on September 16, 2011, 08:29:44 AM
Guys, there is no such thing as an unbiased review of an an art form like a movie, book, tv show, etc.  What I always tend to do is to listen to the opinions of people that have similar tastes and interests to me.  The bottom line for me on this is I'm buying it.  I might not like some of the changes, but it's still well worth buying since I'm a fan and the picture and sound quality of this set should be far above anything previously released.  That alone makes it worth it - at least for me.

Exactly. The vast majority of opinion right there.

The review I posted was written by a fan but also a film maker so he is looking at things differently from the casual fan.

Heck, you'd think I posted a militant 1 star review from somebody who was advocating a boycott of the set from the reaction I've been getting! Lol

X

happily not buying it. It has zero to do with what may have change, but more with zero excitement for the release. That it came out  today was a total after thought. Looking back to recent years, I can't remember when I took them all out for another viewing. I guess that I'm pretty much done with the movies at this point in my life. I'm still loving the books, but they are no longer must see for me. What I really find myself craving is the ending of the Fate of the Jedi series. Now that's something that still has the fires stoked for me!

Bryancd

No, I think his review is fine and reflects his own pionions which is fine and as said, what a review is. What I took excpetion to was characterizing this as fair and balanced when he clearly has a predisposition which he is upfront about. It's not the review, Dan, it's what you said that I was calling questionable.

Dangelus

Quote from: Bryancd on September 16, 2011, 09:16:54 AM
No, I think his review is fine and reflects his own pionions which is fine and as said, what a review is. What I took excpetion to was characterizing this as fair and balanced when he clearly has a predisposition which he is upfront about. It's not the review, Dan, it's what you said that I was calling questionable.

Ok I see that. The fair and balanced part was my interpretation of it based a few things.

1) he's honest about what he likes and dislikes.

2) he gives a critique of the actual content and gives reasons.

3) the scoring was better than average and considering he is predisposed to dislike it I think that's pretty good. (And he recommends buying it!!)

4) he's actually bought and watched the majority of the content and doesn't review things he hasn't personally seen.

They are militant people out there carpet bombing Amazon with 1 star reviews before release and others doing the same with 5 star reviews which is just crazy. People need to chill. :)

Here is an example of what I would call an unbalanced review. They point out and even criticise quite a bit, give it breakdown scores of 4.0, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0  but give it an overall score of 5.0!! My maths must be rusty but I don't think that's right.... This sort of review just isn't helpful.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Wars-Blu-ray/14903/#Review

moyer777

Take a look at the package and what's inside with me!  I open them for the first time today.

Reviewing The Star Wars Blu Ray Package With Rick Moyer

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

Thanks for the cool video review Rick.  I just picked up my set on the way home from work at Walmart (ickkk)!  But it was the easiest place to go on the way home.  Wanted to hit Target, but it's just out of the way on my drive and we are going out to dinner soon.  Looking forward to watching some of the cool extras.

I feel like this guy now.  ;)