• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Wars on Blu-Ray

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 17, 2010, 10:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meds

Sounds a bit depressing really.

Dangelus

Quote from: Bryancd on September 03, 2011, 03:32:53 PM
Quote from: Dangelus on September 03, 2011, 03:26:04 PM
I can live with most of the new changes but the "no" is just plain bad.

The changes have just been done so badly, never mind whether you agree with their addition of them or not.

For example:

* The rocks added in front of R2 in ANH disappear a few shots later. If you're going to do it do it properly, it's insulting to the viewer.

* Making the door to Jabba's palace HUGE creates a continuity error later when we see it normal size from the inside. Why do it?

* The Dug walking down the steps in the palace is the same CGI model from AOTC, even wearing the same clothes. Lazy. Also the didn't even bother to him him a shadow.

* The Ewok eyes are ok. But they only did it in a few shots. Most of the time they have their original eyes. LAZY.

Lucasfilm put out a press release saying they were going to fix errors such as badly coloured lightsabers, various glitches and the problems with the audio mix. They fix a couple of lightsaber shots (not the whole scene, just a few shots) the same shots they previewed, nothing else.

I read something interesting, a theory that Lucas makes changes to extend his copyright on the movies because each release contains new unique properties. Interesting.

1. I agree but will have to see it in it's entirety to see how that plays out. In and of itself, having more hid makes sense but does get ruined if there are continuity errors as you mentioned.
2. True, it's an odd choice.
3. The Dug I have no issue with, having him there makes sense regardless of the character model used.
4. Well, that's a pretty close close up and in fairness to do every Ewok in that matter would have been a herculean task.
5. Will have to see what they actually did with the lightsaber colors.
6. I would have to review US copyright law, however I think he would have 50 years from the creation of ANH before that would become public domain, which is what I think he's most afraid of. That harkens back to the speech you posted previously.

It just bugs me that Lucasfilm with a multimillion dollar studio and access to the original film elements can do such a poor technical job and create more continuity errors when a British guy with a home computer can do a superb job.

I cannot recommend enough that every Star Wars fan watches "Star Wars ANH Revisited". It is a masterpiece combining restoration and correction. I just cant wait or him to finish ESB!

KingIsaacLinksr

Is this Lucasfilm or is this some low-budget college project?  I can't tell anymore with the blu ray editions.  I saw a clip of the project Dangelus talks about and I thought that was a Lucasfilm deal!  I was shocked when he told me it wasn't!  What the heck are we paying for then?! 

My interest in the blu-rays has officially been killed.  I have a DVD set of them already and that quality is very good and its the edition I have no problems with.  To get these sounds like an insult to us Star Wars fans.  If Lucas is going to do a half assed job of it, then why should we pay $$ for it. 

Thanks for letting us know Dan, I no longer regret not pre-ordering the Blu-Ray set.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Dangelus

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on September 03, 2011, 04:39:47 PM
Is this Lucasfilm or is this some low-budget college project?  I can't tell anymore with the blu ray editions.  I saw a clip of the project Dangelus talks about and I thought that was a Lucasfilm deal!  I was shocked when he told me it wasn't!  What the heck are we paying for then?! 

My interest in the blu-rays has officially been killed.  I have a DVD set of them already and that quality is very good and its the edition I have no problems with.  To get these sounds like an insult to us Star Wars fans.  If Lucas is going to do a half assed job of it, then why should we pay $$ for it. 

Thanks for letting us know Dan, I no longer regret not pre-ordering the Blu-Ray set.

King

I certainly love the Revisited project. :)

X

Well, I wasn't buying because I didn't like the changes, now that someone has seen it, I'm glad that my fears were confirmed.

Dangelus

Quote from: X on September 03, 2011, 08:43:12 PM
Well, I wasn't buying because I didn't like the changes, now that someone has seen it, I'm glad that my fears were confirmed.

I'm sure all the extra media on this will generate as many casual sales as it has lost through these changes... He won't go hungry. :)

X

Still ... I'm good. I won't deny others their new new new new new revisions, but I'm speaking with my wallet on this one and saying ... This far, no further. The line must be drawn here!

Dangelus

Quote from: X on September 03, 2011, 10:55:31 PM
Still ... I'm good. I won't deny others their new new new new new revisions, but I'm speaking with my wallet on this one and saying ... This far, no further. The line must be drawn here!

It's funny how there is so much more media coverage this time around compared to 2004 where the changes were pretty substantial. I guess people were expecting more changes but perhaps not THAT change. Lol

Meds

Or people are just tired of it all. I watched Tbe original untampeted version last week on DVD I felt so happy and unviolated lol . ;)

Dangelus

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on September 04, 2011, 03:29:06 AM
Or people are just tired of it all. I watched Tbe original untampeted version last week on DVD I felt so happy and unviolated lol . ;)

I might have to bring you a couple of pressies to the meet up ;)

Bryancd

I am as much interested in the bonus material and deleted scenes as I am in seeing these in high def. I think visually it's going to be outstanding and I don't have a collection of the various documentaries, so it's going to be a ton of new material for me to enjoy. I can brook no argument for or against the changes, but they just aren't that onerous to me and do nothing to diminish my enjoyment of the films.

jedijeff

I guess I will go against the grain and looking forward to this set. I have been trying to keep somewhat spoiler free, so have not dug to deep into the changes or the deleted scenes or extra's. Probably a fanboy with Star Wars, but I doubt I will ever regret getting this set, and since I have multiple versions of Star Wars in different forms, I will always have a version to watch depending on the mood I am in. I guess I am not married to one version of the movie. I gleaned over the tread on some of the changes, and to be honest, they did not bother me. The only really changes in the past that I did not care for was the Han shot first scene being altered, and replacing Boba Fett's voice with Temuera Morrisons voice, as I just preferred the more gravelly voice of the original.
That said, I understand others complaints with the movies being changed, and why they don't want to purchase. I one of the few who actually really liked the prequels, so doesn't bother me the originals were changed to tie in more with the prequels.

Dangelus

Quote from: Bryancd on September 04, 2011, 06:22:30 AM
I am as much interested in the bonus material and deleted scenes as I am in seeing these in high def. I think visually it's going to be outstanding and I don't have a collection of the various documentaries, so it's going to be a ton of new material for me to enjoy. I can brook no argument for or against the changes, but they just aren't that onerous to me and do nothing to diminish my enjoyment of the films.

I've seen a lot of people who aren't too thrilled with the actual movies in this set that are still picking it up for the bonus content and deleted scenes.

Dangelus

Quote from: jedijeff on September 04, 2011, 06:33:25 AM
I guess I will go against the grain and looking forward to this set. I have been trying to keep somewhat spoiler free, so have not dug to deep into the changes or the deleted scenes or extra's. Probably a fanboy with Star Wars, but I doubt I will ever regret getting this set, and since I have multiple versions of Star Wars in different forms, I will always have a version to watch depending on the mood I am in. I guess I am not married to one version of the movie. I gleaned over the tread on some of the changes, and to be honest, they did not bother me. The only really changes in the past that I did not care for was the Han shot first scene being altered, and replacing Boba Fett's voice with Temuera Morrisons voice, as I just preferred the more gravelly voice of the original.
That said, I understand others complaints with the movies being changed, and why they don't want to purchase. I one of the few who actually really liked the prequels, so doesn't bother me the originals were changed to tie in more with the prequels.

That's cool Jeff. I would be interested to know your thoughts after you've had time to watch and digest these new versions.

Meds