• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Star Wars on Blu-Ray

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 17, 2010, 10:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Quote from: Dangelus on August 30, 2011, 11:16:08 AM
Quote from: billybob476 on August 30, 2011, 11:08:15 AM
The only two "improvements" I don't care for are Han shooting first and the dance number in Jabba's palace in ROTJ, but frankly GL can do whatever he likes.

I didn't care for replacing Anakin at the end ROTJ either. I think that's probably the worst change.

I don't think it's a problem to criticise things that we are fans of. It doesn't diminish your fandom in any way and it's healthy IMHO.

Exactly, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Saying that a creator has no right to modify their creation is a bit silly.

Dangelus

Quote from: billybob476 on August 30, 2011, 11:24:13 AM
The only two "improvements" I don't care for are Han shooting first and the dance number in Jabba's palace in ROTJ, but frankly GL can do whatever he likes.

I didn't care for replacing Anakin at the end ROTJ either. I think that's probably the worst change.

I don't think it's a problem to criticise things that we are fans of. It doesn't diminish your fandom in any way and it's healthy IMHO.

Exactly, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Saying that a creator has no right to modify their creation is a bit silly.

I don't think I've ever come across anybody who has said that. Even the die hard purists just want the original theatrical versions preserved and available to purchase regardless of how many modified editions Lucas want to release. The issue is that Lucas absolutely has the right to NOT make these versions available and this is what these people have a problem with.

Geekyfanboy

You're right everyone has the right to their own opinions.. but I see these things as being nitpicky and I was never a fan of nitpickers. I mean in the overall story nothing has changed. Things look different (improved) most of the time but really no damage has been made to the original storyline of the movie. But these are just my opinions.

Bryancd

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on August 30, 2011, 11:15:35 AM
I'm a huge fan of the original movies, and I'll never understand why true sequels that extended the stories of the characters I loved were never made.

Because that wasn't the story that was being told by the man who created it, as much as I too would love to have seen the further adventures of the OT crew. We can't confuse our own wants and expectations with the story GL is looking to tell. I can understand and respect that position. Anakin was the story, not Luke. But we grew up loving Luke and Han and Leia and wanted more. That's our issue, not his.

Bryancd

I agree that Han shooting first has the greatest impact on the story being told as it directly effects how we view a main character. As such, that's the most extreme change I think he's made and one I don't care for as it alters my perception of Han somewhat. A CGI Ewok eyeball doesn't have any menaingful impact for me.

Dangelus

Quote from: Bryancd on August 30, 2011, 11:44:19 AM
A CGI Ewok eyeball doesn't have any menaingful impact for me.

Gotta love it all, did you ever think you'd be uttering such a sentence? Lol

Bryancd

Quote from: Dangelus on August 30, 2011, 11:58:51 AM
Quote from: Bryancd on August 30, 2011, 11:44:19 AM
A CGI Ewok eyeball doesn't have any menaingful impact for me.

Gotta love it all, did you ever think you'd be uttering such a sentence? Lol

Now that you point it out.... LOL!

Jobydrone

Quote from: Bryancd on August 30, 2011, 11:42:05 AM
Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on August 30, 2011, 11:15:35 AM
I'm a huge fan of the original movies, and I'll never understand why true sequels that extended the stories of the characters I loved were never made.

Because that wasn't the story that was being told by the man who created it, as much as I too would love to have seen the further adventures of the OT crew. We can't confuse our own wants and expectations with the story GL is looking to tell. I can understand and respect that position. Anakin was the story, not Luke. But we grew up loving Luke and Han and Leia and wanted more. That's our issue, not his.
I don't think I'm confused.  You won't see me joining in with the Lucas bashing, even though I dearly wish that the whole Star Wars franchise had turned out so much differently than it has.  I have nothing but respect and admiration for the man, and will remain forever thankful for the joy the original trilogy brought me over the years.  And I would certainly never begrudge anyone their enjoyment of the current Star Wars universe, it's just not my cup of tea.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

LOL! Fair enough, it's probably me, I'm often confused... :)

Rico

Anything can be justified.  George can surely do what he wishes, but my biggest question has always been WHY?  Did Ewoks not blinking really bug anyone?  Did Han shooting first keep people up at night thinking he was a cold blooded killer?  Did having an older Anakin at the end of "Jedi" not make sense to anyone?  I'm cool with it all and I'll be there buying the Blu-Rays when they come out, but I just think all these little changes over time have kind of turned into a bit of a joke.  And I see no "Lucas bashing" on this forum.  I just see some who maybe feel some of the changes were maybe not needed or even more, made the movie not quite the way they preferred it.

Meds

I agree, I've seen no Lucas bashing on this forum so I don't k ow why that keeps being mentioned. I personally don't see the point, but I didn't make the film. I know I've filmed stuff years ago & look back & think that model looks crap and now I could change it. I don't because that's then and I want to create new stuff or write new stuff. I think I'm just very bored of it. I love the films, I think GL is a great creator and I look forward to seeing the new updates (because I will buy them) but how much is too much? It's like plastic surgery, a nip tuck here and there leads to another nip, another nip till the original face looks nothing like it used to.

X

I'm pretty much done with buying the movies. They are not the movies that I fell in love with and they did change way too much. Han walking on Jabba's tail? Not shooting first? Luke's scream that was added then cut for the next rerelease. I'm done. I also think that people not liking the changes is totally fair. It has nothing to do with George as a person, but George as the guy that decided to make these changes. I think that he's put the final nail in the coffin for me in terms of buying the movies. Theses aren't the movies I stood in line for and millions of people memorized word for word scene for seen.

I miss the damned Ewok song at the end and still don't understand how something that happen on the ass end of the universe leads to revolution mere moments after a secret space station is destroyed. That was one of the largest issues I had, but when screwed with enough wasn't enough, I have happily decided to check out. I have the films that I want. I don't need more changes on top of the changes that I don't enjoy.

These are not the droids I seek.

ricdude

Must. Rip. Original. Trilogy. VHS. Tapes...

Put me on team "change what you want, but can I have the original versions, too, pretty please".  I already have originals and enhanced on VHS, I'd happily spring for blurays of the originals. Call me nostalgic, sentimental, whatever...

KingIsaacLinksr

Please...please tell me this is a fake.  I am a big proponent of things not needing to be said in scenes.  Let the actions and the emotions tell the stories, not the dialogue.  Please George, tell me your not this stupid....otherwise this kills any interest I have in buying the Blu-Ray versions. 

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/08/30/did-lucas-add-vader-crying-noooooo-to-return-of-the-jedi

As for the New Krayt dragon sound, it is better than the 2nd version, that version is terrible and unrealistic, this version is at least creepy and doable. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Dangelus

Lol well you can say one thing at least, these releases sure are going to be talked about a lot!