• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Wars on Blu-Ray

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 17, 2010, 10:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Channels currently vary on compression rates and so forth.  Some are actually quite good and close to Blu-Ray visually.  If you have an hour or two, this thread is very informative on HD compression - with screenshots too.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008271

QuadShot

Meds

Been reading a lot of bad feeling about the CGI Yoda and some other digital touch ups. I havnt seen it yet so i cant really comment but looking back at the films now (new ones) the CGI looks dated as Lord of The Rings still holds up. As I say though I have not seen any of the scenes yet.

ChrisMC

As much as I dislike CGi intrusion into old movies, I don't have a problem with this Yoda. That puppet from Episode 1 didn't look like Yoda at all. Looked like Kermit on roids.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bryancd

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on August 26, 2011, 02:33:22 PM
Been reading a lot of bad feeling about the CGI Yoda and some other digital touch ups. I havnt seen it yet so i cant really comment but looking back at the films now (new ones) the CGI looks dated as Lord of The Rings still holds up. As I say though I have not seen any of the scenes yet.

LOTR in High Def shows some wrinkles. I have it on Blu-Ray and it shows a bit. And I say bollocks to anyone who would rather see that abomination of a puppet in TMP. That thing was complete shite. It looks awful. If they didn't use the original ESB puppet then CGI that sucker.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Bryancd on August 28, 2011, 04:37:41 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on August 26, 2011, 02:33:22 PM

LOTR in High Def shows some wrinkles. I have it on Blu-Ray and it shows a bit. And I say bollocks to anyone who would rather see that abomination of a puppet in TMP. That thing was complete shite. It looks awful. If they didn't use the original ESB puppet then CGI that sucker.

I agree with Bryan, the TMP version of yoda is terrible.  I love the look of the original trilogy and the CGI looks, but the TMP is a sore thumb in that movie....I don't know what Gorge was thinking, but it should have been vetoed...

King

A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Meds

To be fair everything bar Darth Maul was shite in TPM so I suggest erasing it for ever lol

Bry have you noticed any green shimmer on the Blue Ray for LOTR? I've seen stuff on YouTube and wondered if it there is  any truth to it.

Bryancd

Not that I have noticed but I am still early in viewing them in the entirety. They are so long and lovely. :)

Rico

I think the thing they were trying to do with Yoda in TPM was show him younger than in Empire, etc.  So they had to make a new puppet.  But it just didn't work and look quite like it probably should.  I've never had a huge problem with it actually.  If anything, the CGI Yoda looks in a way more removed from the way he looked in Empire.  It's a very subtle and tricky thing to pull off.  Especially for those of us with such a "burned in" image in our minds for how Yoda should look, walk, talk and so forth.

Bryancd

Yeah, they were trying to make him younger but somehow just made him look wierd. I wasn't a huge fan of the CGI Yoda at first, I was in the camp of bring back Frank Oz and the original puppet, but it's grown on me so much that now I don't really even notice.

Geekyfanboy

Hey if anyone is going to be in the LA area on the weekend of September 24th and 25th.. you need to come to my Star Wars Movie Marathon / 41st Birthday BBQ Bash!!! Going to watch all six Blu-ray movies over the weekend on my 60 inch HDTV. Should be loads of fun. Going to start with Ep 4, 5, 6 and then 1, 2 and 3

Rico

Sounds awesome!  And Kenny - that's the order to watch them in.  :)

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on August 29, 2011, 03:14:06 PM
Sounds awesome!  And Kenny - that's the order to watch them in.  :)

Yeah I have had others try to tell me otherwise. :)

Bryancd

Sounds like a blast! Wish I could be there!

WillEagle

That would be alot of fun, Kenny. BBQ and Star Wars, how much more fun could you have?