• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Star Trek: Season 2 - Gathering

Started by Geekyfanboy, March 31, 2007, 10:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmolerman

Andrus checked the computer and saw no "patients" scheduled so he left the Councilor room. He went to the holo deck and said

"Computer open program number 5607" The computer said "you may now enter"

He entered and it was a arena. In the room he was in had different armor types and different weapons and different types of battles Andrus called

"Computer....type of game Deathmatch Enemies level 1, My armor type 1 with Flames Phaser Machine Gun!"

He suddenly got armor with a flame design and his Phaser. This arena was a replica of The USS Tiberius. The enemies were just simple robots They looked creepy.
"The Match will start in 5...4....3....2...1 Fight!"

In 10 Minutes he took down all 2 robots and the activated his nice tropical island simulation.

"Ahhhh Paradice!"

He left and went back to the Councilor's room and Started Playing a Gutair no one really knew he could and he liked it he started playing a very old Human song called "Smoke On The Water" Then after had the computer do the vocals and the rest of the instruments for "All Along The Watchtower" It was not Bob Dylan's it was Jimmy Hendrix's song he liked old songs.
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

iceman

Dessica II was not unlike other planets that the doctor visited in previous off-world excursions.  The smell of dried blood, and sweat intermingled with the dense blue-grey smoke that filled the air of streets. It was a mix of a haphazard display of various market merchants, competing against each other for the elusive gold bars of latinum that allowed them to eek out  a barely human existence in earth terms.

He surveyed his surroundings, wondering how things could have gone so wrong. How did he end up  in the situation that he found himself in? He checked and found that his makeshift transponder was still working, and hoped it, along with his latent telepathic ability, would be enough to make it through another day. The doctor kept reminding himself that if he wasn't a doctor, he may not be around to be having this conversation with himself and decided he was lucky to still be alive.

As long as he was still alive, there was still a chance he could get out of this situation in one piece, Hopefully....

JoSpiv

Ensign Bandana knew little of what was going on, but he knew it was dangerous.   His first real live space battle experience was over.  He wished there was more to do, but he knew his place was in Astrometrics, but now it was time for some R&R.

His quarters seemed huge, far bigger than they had been on the space station.  He sat down to read some classic Earth fiction, "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury. 

"Wow, they had some pretty crazy ideas about the future back in the 20th Century."

It was difficult for him to concentrate on the book when he knew that his crewmates were in a dangerous situation, and at any moment the ship might be attacked again.   

Ensign Bandana walked to the replicated,  "Chocolate Egg Cream, Brooklyn Style".

He finished his drink and left his quarters for Five Foward.   He really hadn't gotten the oppurtunity to meet his fellow crew mates yet.  "And this was just a good time as any" He thought.

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting.  It is not logical, but it is often true." - Spock

Geekyfanboy

Captain's Ready Room – USS Tiberius

Sevryll nodded... "Eight" she said. "Sector Eight."

Margon chuckled.  "Eight, yes Eight, that is what it is.  Find him Commander, I can't handle much more of these bloody images in my head!"

Sevryll got up from the chair.  "If you will excuse me gentlemen, I have a Dr. to find."

She walked out of the room and the doors hissed shut behind her.

Margon stared at Quinn for a moment.

"Is there anything else I can do for you counselor?" Quinn asked.

Margon smiled "How do you do it sir, how do you deal with other voices and images in your head. I have only two other people thoughts in my head and I can barley handle that. I couldn't imagine thousands of voices... I'd go crazy."

Quinn laughed "Well my dear counselor, I was not always in control of my telepathy. It has taken many years of hard work to filter out the clutter.

Margon stood, "Well I'm glad this is only temporary."

They both laughed as Margon exited the Captain's ready room.

As soon as the doors closed Quinn's expression changed. He sat back down in his chair looking concerned and wondering if they would ever find their missing crewmen.

TBC

Commander Quinn
Acting Captain
USS Tiberius

Jen

Avrik Newol smiled at the stolid Vulcan as they met at the trubo lift on the bridge. The JAG officer motioned for Sevryll to enter the lift first. The Vulcan stepped inside, clasped her hands behind her back and turned to face the entrance. Avrik followed, but instead of turning toward the door, she stood facing the Sevryll. It was becoming obvious that the JAG Officer was unaccustomed the simplest of starship routines. As always, the young Bajoran woman wore a warm, friendly smile. Sevryll nodded politely at Averik and focused her attention on the door, over the Bajoran's left shoulder.

"Deck 14," Sevryll announced. Instantly the turbo lift began its descent.

"How are you commander?" The young JAG Officer asked as her broadening smile formed dimples in her cheeks.

"I am well thank you. How are you Lt.?" replied the Vulcan.

"Please, call me Newol. How am I?  I'm glad to be off duty. So...what's on Deck 14?"

"Stellar Cartography." Sevryll stated in her typically flat, Vulcan tone.

The turbo lift stopped and the doors slid open to reveal a busy corridor. Averik stepped out of the lift with Sevryll. "I've never seen Stellar Cartography, mind if I join you?"

Ensign Bandana was looking forward to a good meal and a strong drink in Five Forward, but that would have to wait... Lt. Commander Sevryll was headed down to the lab and she needed his help locating two missing crew members.

The ensign looked up from his PADD as the doors open with a hiss. The commander had arrived and she wasn't alone, a petite Bajoran woman accompanied the Chief Science Officer. He stood as they made their way across the lab towards him.

"Hello Commander." He said ; his eyes resting on the Bajoran at her side.

"Ensign." Sevryll replied, inclining her head to greet him.

The young woman, who accompanied his superior, offered her hand. "Lt. Averik Newol," she said with a smile.

"Pleased to meet you." He replied bashfully.

Sevryll interrupted the awkward introductions by activating the hologrid. The room dimmed as a 3D map of Sector Eight appeared before them. The map bathed three of officers in a dancing blue light as she asked the young ensign, "are you familiar with this system?"

Averik watched Bandana step forward to study the eight planets as they revolved around a single sun.

"Of course I am commander. It's known as the arm pit of the Alpha Quadrant."  He laughed but the Vulcan failed to see the humor of his joke. Ensign Bandana passed his hand through the hologram as he indicated one planet in particular. "This is where I'd go if I had to lay low. It's loaded with criminals, arms dealers mercenaries and spies. You may have heard of it... Dessica II?"

Sevryll arced an eyebrow. She knew this planet... Dessica II was the location of a noted archaeological site: the ancient, Romulan ruins of 'Nafir'. The government on Dessica II was corrupt and crime was rampant. Yes, the ensign was right. This planet was the perfect hiding place. "Please scan the surface and generate a map of all the settlements. Contact me when your work is complete."
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jen

A pair of Pakleds occupied the center of the massive table that Chorgan decided to claim for his men. Like many others, the Acamerian deemed Pakleds to be mentally absent and thus easily manipulated. Seated at the back of the bar, the slothful, droopy-eyed humanoids gazed up at the Gather who towered over them.

"Get up." Ordered Chorgan in an atypically tender voice.
"Uh-huh. We are Pakleds..."

Doctor Peterson noticed that Chorgan was in a particularly playful mood. Perhaps it was because the Acamarian anticipated selling his looted cargo for a large sum of credit chips. Chargon exchanged sardonic glances with his men before he responded to the Pakled.

"Ooooh...I see." He said reacting to that non-sequitur with a toothy grin.

The second Pakled chimed in, falling for Chorgan's false sympathy,
"we look for things to make us go."

"Well friend...You're in luck!" I'm here to make you go!" Chorgan spread his arms for dramatic effect as he leaned in towards the humanoids seated at the table before him.

The two Pakleds exchanged looks. The first arched his massive brow, his eyes opened just a bit wider as he responded with a wistful, hopeful longing: "Good. We are far from home."

Chorgan's men chuckled aloud as Doctor Peterson's eyes cut to Ensign Manrique's disapproving grimace. The only reason the security officer allowed this bully to continue his charade, was because of their need to gain the tyrant's trust.

"Well then, let me help you get a little closer Pakled!" With that Chorgan's cheshire smile dissolved into a scowl as he grabbed each of them by the collar and hauled them up from their chairs. The Acamarian held the two before him a moment, reveling in their fright, before tossing them backwards with a great force. The two fell upon a near by table occupied by a group of surly Naussicans who completed the task, by chasing the poor Pakleds out of the bar completely.

The Gathers' roaring laughter rivaled that of the heartiest Klingon Warriors as they took turns congratulating Chorgan, then claimed their places at his recently acquire table.

*Aboard the Tiberius*

Sevryll left Averik and Ensign Bandana in Stellar Cartography to share her revelation with Commander Quinn.

The lift opened and deposited her on the bridge.
"Commander, we have narrowed our search to Dessica II."

---------------------------------------------------------------
Lt. Commander Sevryll
Chief Science Officer/Acting First Officer
USS Tiberius
http://www.treksf.com/forums/index.php?topic=1572.0
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Geekyfanboy

Tiberius arrived in orbit over Dessica II as Quinn sat in the Captains chair and going over the latest intelligence reports about the planet below.

Ensign Enoch turned to Quinn, "Sir we are in orbit"

"Thank you Ensign" Quinn pressed his comm. Badge. =/\= Quinn to Stellar Cartography...=/\=

=/\= ...Lt. Averik here sir. =/\=

=/\= Has Ensign Bandana located our missing crewmen yet? =/\=

=/\= Yes sir, they are located in a settlement in the northern part of the continent. It looks to be one of the bigger settlements, I'm reading 4556 inhabitants. I can narrow it down to a two-mile section. =/\=

=/\= Great, send the coordinates to transporter room two. And meet me in sickbay. =/\=

=/\= Aye sir =/\=

=/\= Quinn out........ =/\= Quinn to Lt. Nagumo, Ensign Stormshield, Ensign Corran, please report to sickbay. =/\=

Quinn turned to Commander Sevryll, "you have the bridge Commander." He stood and headed toward the turbolift.

TBC

Commander Quinn
Acting Captain
USS Tiberius

iceman

The doctor could sense the that link between he and Lt Commander Sevryll had somehow become stronger. He could sense that she was nearer, flashes of thoughts came to him. Perhaps the USS. Tiberius was close, perhaps even in orbit.

He adjusted his comm band's wave length, and hoped that the commander could sense his thoughts and get a better fix on their location.

It had been years since the doctor took combat training at the academy, and he made a mental note for the security chief to set him up on a refresher course... if he ever got out of this mess.

The doctor made mental preparations to ready himself for the possibility of close-quarter combat, which would probably be inevitable. He made polite conversation with Chorgan and asked him to explain in detail of how he and his people were betrayed, and through talking to him discovered that the Klingon's death was purely accidental. Although he feared that would not help him, if the klingons got a hold of him.

Peterson would hopefully, one day discuss his findings with the JAG officer, and recommend that the Federation resend any support of the government that engaged in the butchering of Chorgan's people.

KingIsaacLinksr

"Ensign Starstriker report to the bridge" chirped the computer as friendly as it could possibly do. 
How about you make me?? he sighed to himself "Ok, I'll be there." replied the ensign to the computer.

"Crazy times, first we lose the captain and now we're chasing after the doctor.  Well,  we are close to the doctor, but I don't know anything about the Captain.  Maybe something will change."

After dressing, the ensign went to the bridge.  "You have the Bridge Commander" stated Commander Quinn. He didn't mind that he wasn't going down to the planet, even though he was a little intrigued by it.  Even in this century, it seemed crime was rampant, which just seemed odd.  "Why would crime even be in a universe that has almost everything?  Perhaps it's just the nature of people."

He went over to the Ops position and took over...waiting.  'I can wait, but I wonder...will I be needed?'  No, your mission is not to interfere...

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Jen

The atmosphere on the bridge was charged with anticipation.
Humans could not easily hide their enthusiasm and Ensign Starstriker was no exception. Sevryll nodded to him politely as he took his place at Ops.

His eagerness for action was transparent—a symptom of youth and inexperience. Though he had never seen combat, Sevryll was convinced of his abilities as a bridge officer. Unfortunately, she was also certain he would soon see the action he longed for... she could only hope he would survive to learn from his experience.

Dessica II's colorful atmosphere shone brightly against the blackness of space. From orbit the planet was beautiful—its allure masking an ugly reality. From above, it was nearly impossible to distinguish the foul pestilence crawling on the ground below. The unsightly face of Dessica II was only revealed upon visiting its surface. It is then that one recognizes the planet as a cesspit of the nefarious.

Counselor Margon stood from his chair and joined her before the view screen.

"You know what it reminds me of Commander? Phyllobates Terribilis."

"I am not familiar with that idiom Counselor."

Smiling he replied, "its not a phrase Sevryll...it's an amphibian— a strikingly beautiful 'frog' native to Earth's Central and South America. A Batrachotoxin is secreted from its skin glands, which blocks neuromuscular transmission, resulting in muscle and respiratory paralysis and death. The frog's brightly colored skin was developed to warn its predators to avoid it."

"Thank you for the words of comfort Counselor." Replied the Vulcan as she lifted a single eyebrow.

"Sorry."

A distant voice interrupted their conversation; it was arguing with another. Sevryll looked about the bridge for the origin of the voice. No one else seemed to hear it. Before she could continue, the Counselor's hand on her arm stayed her search.

"I hear it too," he whispered with concern.

"Ensign Starstriker, I'll be in the ready room. You have the bridge. Come with me counselor." They entered the captain's sanctum as the argument between the detached voices became heated and more belligerent.

Sevryll remained standing, her gaze focused loosely on the stars outside the view port. As if to prevent the voices from detecting their apparent ease dropping, she whispered to Margon, "I can not determine the content of the conversation, but I believe one of the voices belongs to Doctor Peterson. Can you interpret what they are saying Counselor?"

Lt. Commander Sevryll
Acting First Officer
USS Tiberius
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

moyer777

"Why yes, yes I can, it's Chargon, and from the tone of things it doesn't sound good" said Margon.

They stood for the longest time in silence.  Then Sevyrll got a look of satisfaction on her face.  "Of course" she said. "We can't understand Chargon because our minds don't have a universal translator!" 

The Counselor smiled.  "Yes, that is it.  The way I hear the voices is not as much in words but in thought and intent"

The Vulcan calmly looked at the counselor.  "Perhaps if you would convey the emotion of Chargon, I could understand better"

Margon smiled, "Well that is certainly an option.  He is deceptive, and in my opinion totally unstable!  His emotions are all over the board, and I mean much more than they should be"

Sevyrll nodded and her face grew solemn.  "He has no intention of letting our people go.  He hates what we stand for."

Margon chimed in, "The Dr. is getting us information.  He senses us. But I fear that Chargon is not being completely honest about his intentions."

Now the counselors emotions began to overtake him.  The hate that he was feeling from Chargon was eerie to say the least.  It wasn't something the counselor was familiar with.  After all he was a Bolian, and they were pretty jovial most of the time. 

Margon felt uneasy and his eyes widened.  "Commander!  We have to find them NOW! I fear for our peoples lives."

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Geekyfanboy

Quinn walked down the corridor heading to sickbay when he ran into Ensign Took.

"Sir", Took replied quietly.

Quinn smiled "Hello Ensign, we got to stop meeting this way"

Took nervously laughed, as Quinn put his hand on his shoulder and gave it a squeeze. "Carry on Ensign".

Took blushed "Yes sir" and headed in the opposite direction.

Quinn entered sickbay a minute later and Lt. Nagumo, Ensign Stormshield, Ensign Corran, and Lt. Averik were waiting. Quinn approached...

"I'm glad to see that all of you are so prompt, :Quinn smiled: We are going down to the planet surface to rescue our missing crewmen. We have narrowed their location down to a two mile radius."

Lt. Averik spoke up "Sir why are we in sickbay?"

"Nurse Phillips and her team are going to alter our appearance to blend in on Dessica."

Everyone sat down on a bio bed and the Nurses went to work. 30 minutes later the five of us stood on the Transporter padd in transporter room two unrecognizable. Quinn was now a Naussican, Nagumo and Stormshield were Packleds, Corran was an Orion and  Averik a Ferengi.  Quinn looked at Lt. Decker "Energize"

TBC
Acting Captain Quinn
USS Tiberius

Jen

"Ahhhhhh!" Chorgan slammed his tankard down and wiped his mouth with the back of his gloved fist. "Klingon Fire Wine! It burns going down and sears the stomach as well as the brain!"

"Sounds... scrumptious." Peterson thought sarcastically to himself as he watched the Gather demonstrate his immeasurable masculinity.

The Gather's rye eyes narrowed as he gazed upon the stalwart Idanian seated across from him. Draim returned the arrant glare.

"Yes, so I've heard," he replied dryly. "I grow weary of the 'chitchat'. Where is the cargo you promised me Chorgan?"

There was a silence at the table for several minutes before Chorgan finally dispelled it. "We had an arrangement." He replied tersely. "Eight Thousand bars of gold-pressed latinum, is the sum I require for the safe delivery of your shipment."

The Idanian smirked then motioned to his associate. The henchman brought a chest to the table, deactivated a locking mechanism and revealed a portion of the payment. Chorgan's men stood to block the view of fellow patrons, as their captain analyzed the bars.

"Now...the cargo. I want to see the shipment before payment is remitted." The Idanian insisted.

Chorgan left five of his men in the bar, took the captive Starfleet officers and two of the Gathers with him and lead his customer to the docking bay.  They pushed their way through the gloom of the crowded alleys, filled with crafty merchants who profited greatly from the armies of thugs on Dessica II.

Once inside the docking bay, the shipment was inspected and the transaction was finalized.

"A pleasure doing business with you Draim." Chargon smiled as the last of the shipment was transported off his craft.

"Likewise," replied the Idanian.

The doctor watched Chorgan's customers leave the docking bay before he spoke to the Gather. "There is yet much we need to discuss Chrogan."

Chorgan's expression hardened, "you speak with a haughty authority doctor. Mind your manners."

"The weapons you just sold were looted from the bodies of innocent people. I can't allow you to proceed any further." The doctor's voice had risen. He was tired, and the stress of the situation had caused him to speak his mind without considering the consequences of his actions. He clinched his fists and stepped forward to face the man who had abducted him several days before.

Ensign Manrique interrupted the discussion, in an attempt to repress the impending danger the doctor had placed himself before.

"Doctor, do you have anything in your med kit for a headache?" Too late...Chorgan cursed the doctor in his native language then struck him with a back fist to the face. The doctor staggered backward then recovered and countered, landing a fist on Chorgan's jaw.

Mattock stood back watching with great interest as the other Gather attempted to seize the doctor. Ensign Manrique joined the fight, sweeping the newcomer's feet out from under him, then falling upon the Gather's ribs with his knee. The man cried out in pain before the security officer rendered him unconscious with an elbow strike.

The ensign then assisted Peterson in bringing down the brawny leader. Chorgan was no featherweight. It took them several minutes of fierce fighting before Chorgan fell hard upon the docking bay floor. They turned to face Mattock, but the remaining Gather held his hands out before him in a gesture of surrender. "Let me help you escape. We must hurry, the others are awaiting our return."

"Sevryll to Commander Quinn."

"Quinn here."

"Sir, I would be remiss in my duties if I neglected to protest your inclusion among the members of the awayteam. It is far too dangerous, please allow me to go in your stead."

Lt. Commander Sevryll
Acting First Officer
USS Tiberius
http://www.treksf.com/forums/index.php?topic=1572.0
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

iceman

Before Leaving Chorgan, doctor Peterson administered a heavy sedative that would keep the gatherer out for many hours. Hopefully long enough for the three to make their escape, otherwise he was sure that Chogran would hunt them down until they we were dead — As they had enough evidence to keep him locked up for the rest of his natural life.

From what the doctor saw  Chorgan was dangerously unstable. His hate had become all consuming and had turned him into the very thing he was fighting against. So strong was his hate that it had turned his pursuit for justice in to an obsession that was psychopathic in nature.

Peterson was sure that Chogran felt that he was justified in the killing of innocents, feeling that it was done for the greater cause...for his pursuit for justice. How similar he was to the many tyrants Earth had over the centuries, who justified violence and cruelty in the pursuit of their goals, that for all intensive purposes were misguided and flawed.

Many tyrants came to mind, Hitler, Khan, etc... One would think that with thousands of examples of injustice that people would know by now that violence always leads to more violence...even as a last resort, it is usually quite ineffective in getting the intended results.

Civilization had come far, but after seeing what Chogran has done, the doctor  realized that the univers still had much to learn. I just hope, that with some luck, I will be able to put an end to Chogran's misguided persuit of justice before he can kill me or any other person. He thought to himself

PepperDude

Ensign Manrique was a tough, security officer who didn't mind getting in confrontations. But he didn't like watching persons being bullied. Chorgan was actually being congratulated by his companions for picking on two easy-going Pakleds. Manrique found such behavior repugnant--he saw no bravery in Chorgan's actions. He unwittingly frowned. "Perhaps I would be impressed if he picked a fight with those Naussicans over there. . ."

Manrique could see that the doctor was doing a good job talking with the Acamarian leader. The doctor sure was keeping cool about all this. Manrique was still upset about Chorgan's bullying and wondered how much longer he was going to put up with him, and his revenge-bent group. The conservative Acamarian government betrayed and destroyed the Gatherers but Chorgan didn't have to take out his rage on  Federation outposts. Manrique didn't see how the Federation was responsible for Acamarian affairs. Manrique sighed aloud.

"What's wrong Starfleet?! Do you miss your little starship with all its climate controls, food replicators and those holodeck rooms?" asked one of Chorgan's cronies.  Manrique realized how foolish he had been, by letting some of his emotions show. He needed to turn this occurence into a positive one.

"There are no Orion girls on Starfleet ships. At least not girls like these. . ." said Manrique.

"Chorgan will let you know when you can have a good time human!"

Chorgan expectantly waited to hear what Manrique would say. He didn't have to wait long.

"Take it easy buddy! I won't go after one of those girls until Chorgan tells me to. I think he'll allow me to pick a fight with someone though," Manrique said with a defiant gleam on his eyes while looking at Chorgan's companion. The Acamarian took the bait.

"You insolent Starfleet kid!" The Gatherer stood up, kicked his chair behind him and lunged at Ensign Manrique. Manrique had also stood up and was in a fighting stance when the Acamarian attacked him.

"HAHAHAHAHA. I ask you my good doctor--are all Starfleet officers as cocky as this one? HAHAHA" Asked Chorgan in a pleased, almost jovial mood as his crony and Manrique began brawling. He was obviously liking Manrique more and more.

The young ensign managed to knock the Acamarian down to the ground. Manrique was about to stomp his rival on the chest when Chorgan interfered with a loud, booming voice, "Enough. That's enough for today. I don't want any of my men, including you, to be injured before our big fight. That is alright with you isn't Manrique? Because if it's not, then I would like to see you take on everyone here."

"That's fine with me Chorgan. Whatever you say."

"Good. Now clean up this place a little bit. I'm expecting a very important person."

The Acamarian got up off the floor while glaring at the Starfleet security officer. He was also somewhat surprised that Starfleet officers could be as violent as he. He actually had more respect for the ensign though he still wanted to get back at him for nearly seriously injuring him.

Both he and Manrique straightened themselves up and sat down. At the same moment, an Orion female brought drinks for everyone on the table. He was not very surprised that Chorgan was served Klingon fire wine. Manrique had tried it once during his Academy days and found the wine to be too hot for his esophagus to handle. It almost literally burned.

-----

The Idanian that showed up a little later was interested in buying some of the Gatherers' loot. Manrique was surprised that Chorgan took the doctor and he along with only two other Acamarians. It made no sense to Manrique. Did Chorgan really trust the Starfleet officers that much Manrique wondered? He should at least brought more than two Gathers with him. Perhaps Chorgan was losing his good judgment?

-----

Ensign Manrique finally released Chorgan from a bear-hug grip after doctor Peterson gave him the heavy sedative; the Acamarian was tough. The doctor was tougher than he looked too. Manrique was surprised that the doctor stood up to Chorgan. He had put their lives at great risk. He could have waited for help to arrive or for their situation to be better. But the doctor was his superior. Anyway, this was not the time to discuss the doctor's actions. They had to find their way to safety fast. First they had to take the remaining Acamarian out of action. He and the doctor turned to face him but he surrendered saying, "Let me help you escape. We must hurry, the others are awaiting our return."

"What others?" asked Manrique incredulously. There had been too many surprises for Manrique since he left the Tiberius. This one might be the biggest surprise—a Gatherer was offering to help them escape. "Why are giving up? Why didn't you help your leader?"

"I let you take him down because he's lost his mind. It's all over. Our people are dead. What's the point in revenge if nobody's left to avenge? We're all that's left. Those men in the bar are loyal to Chorgan's dead cause. Everyone else is not so loyal. . .they'll follow me."

"You mean you don't want to continue fighting the government who annihilated your people?"

"No, I don't. We don't. It's hopeless fighting them with weapons. Chorgan should have realized that. He was nearly a victim of revenge himself. It's time for the few of us who remain to make things right for ourselves. We'll continue fighting but not with weapons. . .perhaps the Federation can help those of us who are left? They owe us that much. They need to make sure that the Acamarian government keeps its word."

"Is that why you're helping us?" asked Doctor Peterson.

"Yes, that's largely why I'm helping you. Now we have to get out of here before the Chorgan's posse gets suspicious."

"Wait one moment Mattack. Let me speak with Ensign Manrique right now," said the doctor as he pulled Manrique aside. Manrique did not let his eyes off Mattack.

"The Tiberius is close by. They're here looking for us" whispered the doctor.

"What? How do you know doctor?"

"There is still a weak telephatic link between Lt. Commander Sevryll, Counselor Margon and myself due to the strange artifact we discovered."

"Well, that's great doctor! We should be able to contact them. Maybe Mattack can help us with that. What do you think? Can we trust him? Can you sense if he's being honest?" exclaimed Manrique.

"Yes he's being honest." Then the doctor faced Mattack and asked, "Can you get us a communicator?"