• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Dragon Age: Redemption

Started by Geekyfanboy, February 15, 2011, 07:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Well if you follow Felicia Day on twitter then you know she's been talking about this "mystery project" well it was revealed today..

Felicia Day breathes fire into 'Dragon Age' series
By Mike Snider, USA TODAY

Most fans of role-playing games can only imagine themselves in their favorite alternate universe. Felicia Day actually gets to become part of the lore.

Already well-known to video-game fans as the creator of Web comedy series The Guild about online game players, the actress has written and stars in a new Web series, Dragon Age: Redemption, based in the world of BioWare's role-playing Dragon Age game franchise.

Day's six-episode run, due to hit the Web this year, is set in Ferelden, the same fantasy land in which 2009's Dragon Age: Origins and the upcoming sequel Dragon Age II play out. In the Tolkienesque sword-and-sorcery adventure game, several races join forces to combat a scourge called the Darkspawn (think of them as cousins to the orcs in The Lord of the Rings).

A peek at the Dragon Age II narrative shows Day wrote an original story line around a character for herself, Tallis, an Elven assassin.

"Tallis is headstrong, she fights dirty, and she has a really sarcastic sense of humor," she says. "I wanted to bring a modern sensibility to a fantasy character in a fantasy world."

Tallis goes on a quest to capture a renegade magician. Along the way, she gathers her own fellowship. "She can't accomplish her mission alone, so finding allies is tricky," Day says. "The success or failure of the mission will have a big impact on her future and her freedom."

A life-long game player, Day is fully aware they have a poor track record when it comes to adaptation. "I am an organic gamer and I love games, and I particularly love this franchise," she says. "I put every single effort into making this something that gamers will be proud of. Even though we were constrained a lot as a Web series, none of the people who were involved took that as a constraint. They took that as a challenge."

That dedication is what convinced the developers at Dragon Age studio BioWare that Day was the right person for the project.

"We are really, really excited to work with people like her who have a passion and appreciation for the content and a really good history of quality," says BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk. "That's who we want to work with."

Filming took place over a dozen days last month in the L.A. area, with Independence Day associate producer Peter Winther as director and John Bartley (Lost) as cinematographer. "They are going to take this a step above what we have seen on the Web before," says Day, who also co-produced Redemption.

With the series in post-production, Day turns her attention to The Guild, recently approved for Season 5 on Microsoft's Xbox Live. "I definitely have a story line in mind," she says. Day also appears in upcoming episodes of Syfy Channel series Eureka, which continues its fourth season this summer.

A fringe benefit of her Redemption performance? Day got to spend a few hours exploring Dragon Age II, which doesn't arrive in stores until March 8 (for PS3, Xbox 360 and Windows and Mac, rated for ages 17-up). A demo launches online next week.

"Just being able to make a Web series that is tied with such a huge property ... really the premier role-playing game out there, this is a dream project come true," Day says.

Jobydrone

OMG, so hot.  What a great pic, can't wait for this series.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Geekyfanboy

You guys this series is going to be EPIC.. I got to spend a day on set and it was AWESOME!!!

Bryancd

She looks great! But those ears! Really?!  :wacko

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Bryancd on February 15, 2011, 08:39:22 AM
She looks great! But those ears! Really?!  :wacko
That's how they are in the game...

Rico

Felicia in a fantasy based web series!?!?!  I think I just had a geekgasm!  ;)

Rico

Here's another pic. (from USA Today)

QuadShot

Bryancd

She almost looks exactly like her KOTG outfit in the opening credits!

Meds

Well awesome kudos to Felicia for once again doing something bloody marvellous and out of the ordinary . :D er can i get a poster ;)

KingIsaacLinksr

Ok, now I'm going to have to get Dragon Age because of Felicia.  Darn it!!!  I'm trying to save $$ here! 

;)

On a serious note, congrats to Felicia, that is a big accomplishment no matter how one may view it.  :)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

JeffM

Hello...I thought I'd jump in here. 

I'm pretty excited about this!  The Guild is a great show - so we know Felicia Day brings a nice high level of quality.

I am not sure if I can stay up and watch the trailer tomorrow night on Jimmy Fallon, I'll probably wait until the next morning.  But I'm really looking forward to it!  Even if we are only talking about a few episodes.  I hope it is well received.

- Jeff

Bromptonboy

Looking forward to this.  I love how she has reinvented herself, and just side stepped traditional media.
Pete

Dangelus

Not a huge fantasy fan but looking forwad to this one. I like Felcia's work a lot.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Dangelus on February 16, 2011, 12:34:56 PM
Not a huge fantasy fan but looking forwad to this one. I like Felcia's work a lot.

Hmmm I did not know that about you.. most folks who love sci fi love fantasy.. they kind of go hand in hand.. are you not a fan of Lord of the Rings?