• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Firefly over Starwars?

Started by MrOsterman, April 03, 2007, 05:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrOsterman

so Slashdot is reporting that the BBC is reporting (yeah yeah) that Serenity beats out Star Wars as the best Sci Fi of all time.  edit can someone link the story?  I only have it through my blog reader due to the firewall here.

I like Serenity as much as the next guy but I can't imagine how it's that much more "establishing" then the StarWars: ANH.  I mean, Wedon admits that the whole initial premise of Firefly was his own take on what if Han had gone into a different bar.

I loved Firefly and wish it had been given a decent chance (dang you all that ruined it!) but I gotta disagree that it should be the "best Sci Fi" of all time.

Thoughts?

Mr. O

Rico

Here's the story link:  http://www.24dash.com/showbiz_slapdash/18729.htm

These list things are always pretty silly.  "Star Wars" had a huge impact on modern movie making.  I enjoyed "Serenity" a lot as well, but Star Wars had a much bigger impact.  But I still like "The Empire Strikes Back" best of the SW films.  Plus - no TREK on that list at all.  :(

Geekyfanboy

It's only 3000 people in England that were polled.. not very scientific. I'm a huge fan of Firefly and Serenity and i know it was a huge hit in England (Serenity). I think it might be the best of recent sci fi movies but of all time Star Wars will always be best. It changed sci fi movies forever.

Dan M

Interesting, but ridiculous. 

Serenity/Firefly is one of the best pieces of entertainment I've ever seen, but no way is it in the same league as Star Wars.

Rico

I have decided that lists made on the Internet are just made to stir things up.

Kirk-Fu

I agree only that Serenity/Firefly is better than the most recent 3 Star Wars installments. But, no way better than the first 3. That being said i am a huge fan of the Firefly Universe.

Overall, the list was a good collection of great stuff, I would just change the order. Good to see Planet of the Apes on there, one of my all time favorite movies. Im still in love with Nova :-)

Darth Gaos

I loved Firefly/Serenity but there is no way that it was a better Sci-Fi movie than Star Wars for a couple of reasons:  1) As has already been mentioned Star Wars had an unbelievable impact on everything pop-culture in America and really around the world.  Serenity...while great had nowhere near the impact.
2) I have never really considered Firefly to be Sci-Fi.  I always thought of it as a western set in the future.  I mean some sci-fi can also be put into that category (some might even make the argument that Star Wars could go into that category), but where Star Wars always struck a "science-fiction" chord with me, Firefly never did....don't get me wrong...again, that is not a bad thing by any means...I will just always view Joss Whedon's universe as a western.

Does that make sense?  Or is my wife right and I have just completely gone off the deep end.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Kirk-Fu

Darth Gaos,
I can definately relate to what you are saying. Even though I do generally classify Firefly as Sci-Fi, it was a show that you could watch for an hour and not be hit in the face with the spaceships/lasers/tech. The episode where they did a kind of take on the Magnificent Seven, the 'Protect the brothel' episode......that could of been an episode of Deadwood....with less colorful language though.

Darkmolerman

Star Wars is a great movie and as Scott says that he thinks that Firefly is a western Star wars...STAR WARS "4" EVAH!
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper