• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Babylon 5 Is Coming Back

Started by Poodyglitz, March 28, 2007, 06:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poodyglitz

Rico

Cool info.  I'm curious on how all the green screen work will end up looking.

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Rico on March 28, 2007, 06:45:40 AM
Cool info.  I'm curious on how all the green screen work will end up looking.

It's the same process as "Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow". Everything was shot green screen with a combination of 3D and Photoshop backgrounds stripped at post. These days, there's no excuse for bad compositing. Should look much better than the original series.

Wouldn't it be cool if they went back and did an enhanced version (mainly to replace the interiors)?

Rico

I thought the B5 series looked fine on sets.  Given the right story green screen work is ok, but it just seems to be overused lately.

Poodyglitz

The station sets always seemed somewhat unconvincing to me. Part of it was the design. Part of it may have been lighting and film stock. It generally felt like the station was made of wood. I did like what they were aiming at; like a small courtyard with the background of the station landscape curving up to the "sky" (as I would imagine Arthur C. Clarke's "Rendezvous With Rama" to be). It was just so obviously a matte painting. With "Star Trek" that was quaint. Also, the ground breaking set design (for the most part) made up for the cheapness of the sets. Guess I was much older by the time B5 came around and a little more critical.

However, the story arcs were cool. That show was what DS9 aspired to. I guess it was the the "Battlestar Galactica" of its time. With BSG raising the bar on production values, "Lost Tales" has a bit to live up to now.