• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangelus

Quote from: Bryancd on December 10, 2012, 10:54:37 AM
Quote from: Dangelus on December 10, 2012, 09:56:02 AM
Hmmm doesn't seem like Khan to me.

[spoiler]Having the scenes in London with British actors and a British villain and what he is offering doesn't sound like Khan. Unless the have totally rebooted the Khan character from being a Sikh genetically engineered warlord to a posh white British guy.[/spoiler]

At this point I'm hoping this is a new character altogether.

Well, Ricardo Montalban was Mexican and didn't affect an Indian accent either.

Yes but he had an ethnic look and was made up and costumed to appear of Indian heritage in Space Seed.

Bryancd

Quote from: Dangelus on December 10, 2012, 11:42:33 AM
Yes but he had an ethnic look

Oh..I see. It's like that with you.... ;) LOL!!

ChrisMC

Well, the caption for this picture that apparently comes from Paramount is listing Cumberbatch's character as John Harrison. Never heard of him.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/new-picture-from-star-trek-into-darkness-reveals-the-villains-identity/

The official "caption" for this photo reads as follows:

"(Left to right) Zachary Quinto is Spock, Benedict Cumberbatch is John Harrison and Chris Pine is Kirk in STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS from Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions."
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Meds

Oh now this is good, a new character (or at least one that no body thought of) is far better than using Khan.

ChrisMC

If it is a new character, I'm way happier than recycling an old one.

Bryancd

No, Chris has the quote wrong, it's "John Harrison" in the caption so clearly they are having a bit of fun.

John Harrison
Gary Mitchell

It's an anagram, Clarise!

Meds

LOL do you have Dad to be brain Bry lol

Bryancd

Rico

Quote from: Chris-El on December 10, 2012, 02:29:21 PM
If it is a new character, I'm way happier than recycling an old one.

The writers have said Benedict is playing a canon character - BUT, that doesn't mean I guess he has to have the same name.  Maybe he's using an alias.  Or maybe he takes the name Khan later as more of a title.  The more this looks like a Mitchell story the less I believe it.  And Bryan, how are those names anagrams??

Meds

Rico

I want to remind everyone of this interview with writer Roberto Orci.  Not only does he deny the Mitchell idea, he states clearly who is playing a Trek canon character and who is not playing one.  Read on:

Orci reveals Cumberbatch is canon character but not Mitchell + much more

TrekMovie.com: A couple of weeks ago you were on a radio show and you confirmed that Benedict Cumberbatch is not playing Gary Mitchell in the sequel. Then last week Karl Urban says he is playing Gary Mitchell. Both can't be true.

Roberto Orci: All I can say is that when I did that radio interview I had just been doing 22 hours of press. I had just got off a flight from New Zealand...

TrekMovie.com: Nice callback, but are you sticking with your original comment and it isn't Gary Mitchell.

Roberto Orci: I would say that I never lie. While Karl tests all those hypo spray props on himself [laughs]

TrekMovie.com: Another thing Karl is saying is there is some footage being released this weekend. Do you know anything about that?

Roberto Orci: No. I would love to see some.

TrekMovie.com: For the last movie your first full trailer with new footage was with Quantum of Solace which was in late October of 2008. So following that pattern should we expect the first sequel trailer sometime this fall?

Roberto Orci: Yeah. Marketing plans, especially for the second time around, get a little more clear. You know you want a certain amount of time for an audience to be aware of what is coming up. So certainly fall at the latest for starting to role this movie out.

TrekMovie.com: Have you guys picked a name for the movie.

Roberto Orci: No, but we are down to the final list.

TrekMovie.com: Is having "Star Trek" as part of the name a variable?

Roberto Orci: Only one or two of the titles on the list do not contain it. For the most part all the titles we are considering do have Star Trek in them, but just to get crazy we need to consider crazy things.

TrekMovie.com: So how long will we not know who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing? How long will you guys try to not talk about it?

Roberto Orci: For as long as we can because of our belief that one of the fun things about Star Trek that distinguishes it from other franchises is that the story turns. It isn't just the spectacle of Star Trek, not just the explosions and the battles, it is the plot. That is why we are so protective of plot and character with this particular franchise. In others that isn't the case but in this one we can preserve the experience for some people of not knowing exactly until we get there. Will we succeed in keeping it under wraps? Probably not, but we will try it.

TrekMovie.com: OK, I want to try and get something out of you that is actually new about the movie. Kind of like you did on the radio show but I will name a guest actor in the sequel and you will say if they are playing a new character you created or one from the original Star Trek canon.

Roberto Orci: OK, I'll play.

TrekMovie.com: OK let's start with Alice Eve. Canon or new?

Roberto Orci: Canon

TrekMovie.com: Noel Clarke?

Roberto Orci: New

TrekMovie.com: I assume that also goes for Nanzeen Contractor, who plays his wife?

Roberto Orci: Yes, new.

TrekMovie.com: Peter Weller

Roberto Orci: New.

TrekMovie.com: Joseph Gatt

Roberto Orci: New.

TrekMovie.com: OK and the big one, Benedict Cumberbatch.

Roberto Orci: Canon.

So with that, I'm again betting Benedict is Khan.  Perhaps John Harrison is an alias or his real birth name.  That way when Simon Pegg denied he was playing Khan he wasn't exactly being dishonest - just cagey.  :)

Full interview:
http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/14/exclusive-interview-roberto-orci-reveals-star-trek-sequel-character-details-talks-title-post-production/

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on December 10, 2012, 02:57:31 PM
  And Bryan, how are those names anagrams??

It's not, it just has the same number of letters but for some reason Hannibal Lecter word games popped into my head!

I don't believe a word any of these guys say anymore.

ChrisMC

Lying lists and the Star Trek lies they tell.

Rico

It's becoming more than slightly annoying at this point about all the secrecy.  If it's a good movie it shouldn't matter if we know who the villain is and so forth.  Today while I was working in the lab I was trying to figure out how the Klingons figure into this story.  I kept going back to the augment story arc from Enterprise.  Maybe Gary Cumberkhan is a Klingon in disguise to infiltrate Starfleet - but also an augment (or becomes an augment later).  Anyway, just some thoughts.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on December 10, 2012, 03:48:44 PM
It's becoming more than slightly annoying at this point about all the secrecy.  If it's a good movie it shouldn't matter if we know who the villain is and so forth.  Today while I was working in the lab I was trying to figure out how the Klingons figure into this story.  I kept going back to the augment story arc from Enterprise.  Maybe Gary Cumberkhan is a Klingon in disguise to infiltrate Starfleet - but also an augment (or becomes an augment later).  Anyway, just some thoughts.

Just posted over at the RPF supposedly from some twitter traffic out of people at Bad Robot..It's still speculation but I put it in the spoiler tags anyway. If it's right then we have the answer and the answer to your Klingon question.
[spoiler]Alice Eve's character is confirmed to be Carol Marcus. Part of the movie takes place on Klingon planet Qo'noS.[spoiler]