• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

So what are you doing at work today?

Started by Rico, June 11, 2008, 06:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meds

Oh trust me i've tried. Trouble is (and i really do not mean to sound big headed) i am very good at what i do, and i've made a rod for my own back. It's a hard job that i do and messy (oil, coolant, grease and bits of metal sticking in you) so not many people want to take over form me (can you blame them). Now i know a few people would say how come you've been there so long, well i get paid pretty good (not brilliant but for a 'non trained' engineering job (eg, no certificates so in our great country that means i'm rubbish) and i like working for a English owned family run comapny (rare these days). Unfortunatley the two department heads don't like each other and so i'm stuck in the middle, one is reluctant to let me leave and do what i think i would be better at in sales and representation. It is nice to know that they think good of me in the way of running the machinery side of things but I've begun to feel the pain of engineering life (bad backs, tiredness and RSI)

Hey King whats Fred Meyer

billybob476

Quote from: markinro on June 11, 2008, 10:03:48 AM
Work ?!!  work ??  what's that ?? :)
So Mark you're just independently wealthy, right?

Jen

Very interesting topic Rico—an interesting insight on everyone's real lives.

Everyday I'm working on something new for the marketing of Schlitterbahn Waterparks. I design everything from print materials (laying out designs for brochures, coupons, ads, business cards, and sometimes business proposals) to web sites (site layout and Flash design). I've even designed the look of our new costume character and helped theme a new uphill watercoaster ride.

Currently, I am working on designing a gigantic directional map that will be posted in one of our water parks. I'm  using elements that I created for our resort brochure and web site, to jazz up the map. Here's a screen shot of the Photoshop files I have open. The map is overlapping the brochure, but it's only at 8% of it's actual size.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: markinro on June 11, 2008, 10:03:48 AM
Work ?!!  work ??  what's that ?? :)

*Kinglinksr begins to wonder how Markinro manages to live in his house.......*

LOL just kidding ;)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Meds

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on June 11, 2008, 10:05:50 AM

Oh right...not everyone here lives in the United States.....you'd think I would know that by now... :(

FredMeyer is essentially a large-chain Grocery Store that has Food, Home stuff, Apparal, Electronics, garden stuff, etc.  A really big store with lots of stuff.  Or as they like to say "The one-stop store."  (Lies btw but whatever)
What is the definition of that kind of store?...oh right.  its a SUPERMARKET

http://www.fredmeyer.com/homepage/index.htm

Basically, its a version of Walmart.  (ugh, I hate Walmart)  but is better in most ways.  Although to be honest...anything is better than Walmart. 

King

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Kinglinksr on June 11, 2008, 10:58:38 AM

Oh right...not everyone here lives in the United States.....you'd think I would know that by now... :(

FredMeyer is essentially a large-chain Grocery Store that has Food, Home stuff, Apparal, Electronics, garden stuff, etc.  A really big store with lots of stuff.  Or as they like to say "The one-stop store."  (Lies btw but whatever)

Basically, its a version of Walmart.  (ugh, I hate Walmart)  but is better in most ways.  Although to be honest...anything is better than Walmart. 

King

It's not only non-US folks who have never heard of Fred Meyer... don't have any of those in SoCal. Thanks for explaining what they are.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on June 11, 2008, 11:03:05 AM
Quote from: Kinglinksr on June 11, 2008, 10:58:38 AM

King

It's not only non-US folks who have never heard of Fred Meyer... don't have any of those in SoCal. Thanks for explaining what they are.

Really?.....must be more local than I thought....I'll research into that.  I know they are a pretty big chain though.  Although they did get bought out by Kroger.  Which most employees have said has "killed the fun with the company".  /sigh

King

Jen

We don't have them down in Texas either. At least, not in my part of The Lone Star State.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

None here in the Michigan midwest area that I know of.  We have Meijer's, WalMart, Super KMarts, etc. for one-stop shopping places.

jedijeff

I have heard of Fred Meyer before, but we dont have them in Canada. But I get my western ABC/NBC/CBS channels from Spokane, so have seen the advertising when I watch those channels, though know with HD I tend to watch the eastern channels out of Detroit now.

Meds

Right so our version would be Asda (now owned by WalMart), Tesco (boo), Sainsbury's, Morrisons and the good old CoOp.

Feathers

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on June 11, 2008, 11:27:34 AM
Right so our version would be Asda (now owned by WalMart), Tesco (boo), Sainsbury's, Morrisons and the good old CoOp.
You forget Somerfield...well, in some parts of the country, anyway.

Anyone feel we're off topic now?

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Meds

:offtopic ha ha. oh and Kwik Save (old somerfield)

Darth Gaos

Quote from: billybob476 on June 11, 2008, 07:58:04 AM
Quote from: Darth Gaos on June 11, 2008, 07:47:29 AM
I have a small commercial project that I have to finish designing and drafting today....could be a late night.  Lined up after that is city comments on a Walgreens site I am working on....Summer, the silly season of the development and construction industry...uggh!

Don't I know it!

"We want our new site live before the holiday season"

Story of my life.

FUnny you say that Billybob....That is precisely what the Developer rep said at the Pre-con last week.  LOL

On a side note, we have a load of Fred Meyer store here in Spokane.

Finally....Schlitterbahn......what an awesome name.  That will be stuck in my head all day.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?