• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

I Found An iPod Touch

Started by ori-STUDFARM, August 05, 2010, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ori-STUDFARM

Today, I found a 1st gen 8gb iPod Touch in the rubbish at work (I work in recycling). The glass "digitiser" screen is totally shattered and the LCD inside is bust. I have managed to put power into it and switch it on. A small section of the screen (The top 5% approx) is working. The rest is buggered!! But I can see enough to tell that apart from the busted screen, it looks to be in good working order. It connects to my computer okay and syncs up the songs I've put on it. So I checked out some YouTube iPod Touch operation videos for dummies so I can see exactly where the icons are and where to press to get the music to play....and hey presto! It is playing the songs that I have put on it!!

So, back to You Tube to check out the repair videos. I've now decided to have a go at fixing it. Looks simple enough. Ordered the "digitiser" glass section for about £7 and the LCD for £10 from Flea-Bay....will let you know.

This will be ideal for my 11 year old daughter as she wants an iPod Touch, but at those prices, she can whistle. But for less than £20...it'll do. Besides, the screen will be bigger than my Classic's for me to watch Star trek on whilst in the bath :)

Meds

Awesome find Antony. Post up some pics on your repair job.

Bromptonboy

I have a friend at work who used those videos to replace the LCD and screen on his iTouch as well - he couldn't be happier and he save a load of $'s (or £'s).
Pete

Feathers

Good find.

It's the downside of our 'disposable society' that so often we simply chuck stuff away that could be fixed. Probably because the new model is "better" and it sems like a good excuse to get one (that's what I do *guilty* ).

Great find if you can get it to work. Perhaps you could armour it in spare stormtrooper gear too?

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

ori-STUDFARM

I suspect it may have been lost down the back of a settee (or couch for our American cousins :P)

It came in on a council bin wagon which had compacted all the furniture. The shed marshal at work pockets between £30 and £60 a day out of the waste. Most of that is from coins inside settee's. If you are ever scrapping one, always cut the bottom open and throw it about a bit. See what falls out

QuadShot

Good advice! And Great find! Good luck on the repairs, and it would be cool if you could document the process, maybe even video, for us.  Al

Jobydrone

Not to give Chris any more ammunition, but my problem with those Apple products has always been the headphone jack.  I don't know what it is, but on every iPod I've owned that connector always winds up shorting out where you can only hear out of one side of the headphones, or even more annoying if you jiggle the jack around a bit it connects properly but if you don't hold it just right it shorts out again.  This is happening AGAIN with my brand new iPhone 3GS and boy am I pissed.  The part you need to repair it is over 70 bucks American and I don't have the technical knowhow to fix it myself anyway.  I am under warranty still but it's just a major annoyance.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

X

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on August 06, 2010, 11:59:45 AM
Not to give Chris any more ammunition, but my problem with those Apple products has always been the headphone jack.  I don't know what it is, but on every iPod I've owned that connector always winds up shorting out where you can only hear out of one side of the headphones, or even more annoying if you jiggle the jack around a bit it connects properly but if you don't hold it just right it shorts out again.  This is happening AGAIN with my brand new iPhone 3GS and boy am I pissed.  The part you need to repair it is over 70 bucks American and I don't have the technical knowhow to fix it myself anyway.  I am under warranty still but it's just a major annoyance.
LOL!

QuadShot

I've never had issue with the headphone jack, but I gotta tell you, for all the advanced tech that goes into an Apple iThingy...you'd think they'd build a better set of ear buds! Those are the most uncomfortable things around! :)

Meds

So true ive had about four pairs of ear phones this year.

billybob476

The little play/pause button on my iPhone earbuds doesn't work at all anymore.

Feathers

Quote from: billybob476 on August 06, 2010, 12:51:32 PM
The little play/pause button on my iPhone earbuds doesn't work at all anymore.

I got my last set to the point where just touching the cable near it would activate it...it also had a new mode - play at 4x speed which made things uninteligible but very funny.

Needless to say I have yet another set now.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

QuadShot

I think they are a good concept, just not executed well...