• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

How do we feel about ECW on SCIFI?

Started by space_invader64, June 16, 2007, 08:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

space_invader64

It's not a SCIFI show so I don't know why they are doing it. 

And what do you think of the owner of all of the wrestling shows, vince Mcmahon, faking his death?

A lot of wrestlers have died in the last few years and I find it disrespectful.

Ktrek

Well, I have never thought the Sci Fi Channel was much of a sci-fi channel to begin with. Most of their programming would border on fantasy and horror and very little sci-fi ever plays on their channel. So, consequently I watch very little Sci Fi Channel for my viewing pleasure and as a result I really don't care if they have ECW or not. All they care about is increasing their ratings and have never really cared about sci-fi itself.

As for McMahon faking his death I think it's just the norm for him. Anything to make a buck and keep the circus alive. I agree that it was very disrespectful of the wrestlers who have actually died of late. He always has been kind of a lowlife though.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

space_invader64

I always liked the horror but not the Fanticy. 

ECW is just not a good fit.  Put it on spike or something!!!!

Ktrek

I'm not a horror fan myself unless it's something like classic horror like The Wolfman, Frankentein, The Creature etc. Most of the horror films I have seen on Sci Fi Channel are so low budget and laughably awful that I can't sit through them. I'd prefer that Sci Fi Channel would at least stand for what it's name signifies and that is Sci Fi.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Never watched it and have no idea why it's on the Sci-Fi channel.  Very odd idea.

Fanboy

Wrestling is silly I think.  Dudes don't look like they are really doing any wrestling.
"I aim to misbehave."

space_invader64

I felt like it was inaproprate when I posted it.  I hated to see vince mcmahon do a stupid death stunt.  I think back to wrestlers who have passed away and they deserve for us to believe it when it happens.  Now I sadly read the news that a wrestler who I have been watching for ten years, has died. 

Chris Benoit was an amazing talent in the wresteling world, now I am very sad to hear of his passing.  He, his wife, and one of their children were found today in their suburban home.  I haven't seen anything on the news about it yet.  I flip through the channels, and I hear the news people reporting about Paris Hilton, who never did anything fameworthy as far as I'm consirned.  I have to assign some of the blame to the McMahon is dead storyline that they were doing.  I don't think the newscasters wanted to report this tragity because two weeks ago, Vince McMan staged his death in an exlpoding limo.

I know this wasn't a scifi topic, just talking about wresteling being in the scifi channel.  But I felt I should talk about it this evening.

Ktrek

Quote from: space_invader64 on June 25, 2007, 08:55:23 PM

I know this wasn't a scifi topic, just talking about wresteling being in the scifi channel.  But I felt I should talk about it this evening.

This is very tragic news Space_invader6! Chris Benoit was a great wrestler. I wouldn't worry about whether this topic is sci fi or not. I didn't read any rules posted by Rico that only sci fi topics are allowed on the board. I see plenty of discussions around here about non sci fi things and if wrestling is something you enjoy then you should be free to talk about it. The problem is that you might not find many sci fi fans who enjoy wrestling but there are some out there.

Kevin

space_invader64

Thanks for the kind words Ktrek.  I am just shocked.  They are now investigating it as a murder-suicide.  I hope this is not true. 

What bothers me right now is that the TV news is staying away from the story because of the recent stunt McMahon pulled.  I can't say I blame them as far as not wanting to report a story line in wresteling as real news as some of them did when the limo blew up.  It's the boy who cried wolf situaton.  Now we have a real tragity and Larry King is on right now talking about Paris Hilton.

jedijeff

I know up here in Canada this is getting a lot of press, Top Headline across the country. Chris comes from my City, so there is a lot of news on it.

Horribly bad, I cannot fathom that someone would do that to their family. Over the past few years I have grown away from wrestling, I had followed it very closely for some time, but after the demise of WCW and the end of the Rock/Austin era, it seem to lose its interest for me. As well part of me felt guilty for watching, as all these wrestlers were dieing, and their pursuit to entertain me and other fans pushes past what the body will allow. I feel the wrestling business is a very tough business which chews up the performers and spits them out when they are done. Most never seem to leave with much physical or mental health left. The Rock and Roll lifestyle is pretty tough, add the steroids and all the physical abuse they take night in and night out, and it is no wonder Wrestlers do not last very long.

Whatever happend to Chris Benoit is tragic, and taking his life is no penance for the horrible crime he committed against his loved ones. I was a fan of his like most people from my city who liked wrestling, so it feels weird to see someone held in high regard do such a horrible thing.

I really think the wrestling industry on a whole needs to take better care of the performers, they need to provide them with both physical and psychological help, as I think a lot of these wrestlers are deeply flawed by the time they even make it to the WWE/ECW/TNA. As well the amount they get paid compared to others in sports and entertainment much much less.

I am not sure if I can ever watch wrestling again, or at least watch it as a fan.

space_invader64

jedijeff,

Many of my favorite wrestlers are Canadan, The Hart family, Chris Jerrico, etc.  I always liked Benoit and never could have imagened this.  It would be like reading the news that  Will Smith had killed his family.  Just totally unbelivable!

I wish it would end up being a triple murder, but I don't see it happening.  What do you think about the wikipedia posting?

Geekyfanboy

This story has been all over the news the past few days... it's a very tragic story and gets more and more bizarre as it goes on.

jedijeff

Quote from: space_invader64 on June 29, 2007, 11:58:51 AM
jedijeff,

Many of my favorite wrestlers are Canadan, The Hart family, Chris Jerrico, etc.  I always liked Benoit and never could have imagened this.  It would be like reading the news that  Will Smith had killed his family.  Just totally unbelivable!

I wish it would end up being a triple murder, but I don't see it happening.  What do you think about the wikipedia posting?

I like quite a few of the Canadian wrestlers as well, I was a big Y2J (Chris Jericho) fan when he was wrestling. I kind of thought that he was a good role model for the other wrestlers, as he was not an overly big person, and was able to Unify the belts, something that the Other Big names of the time were not able to do. If more wrestler worked on their Charisma and less on having huge bodies for their frame, I think the business would be far better off.

I read that the Wikipedia thing was a weird coincidence. I guess the person who posted it, had been reading some wrestling boards, and there was some speculation that Benoits wife had died. So he posted it, not knowing that in fact that was the case, and a Murder/Suicide. Add to the fact that he comes from Stamford, the home city of WWE made it more weird. He has since posted a response on Wikipedia, that he was sorry for the post, he was only reporting speculation, and he is not associated with WWE. Weird how things like that happen. When I used to follow wrestling more closely, I would follow a few sites, and there were so many rumours, only a small percentage were ever true, so I could see how this happend.

jedijeff

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on June 29, 2007, 12:03:19 PM
This story has been all over the news the past few days... it's a very tragic story and gets more and more bizarre as it goes on.

I agree, it seems to get more and more bizarre each day. Since Chris Benoit was from my home city, it has been non stop since the news broke, and front page so far every day with new revelations.
The steroid story is the big one now, and sounds like it may be a tip of a large iceberg. They are also reporting that Benoits son was undersized for his age and autistic, and that the parents may have been injecting him with Growth Hormones. So it does sound very sad all around.
I tend to agree with a lot of Journalists, that if they really should open the book on investigating Pro Wrestling again on Steroid abuse. It seems to be a tricky business, as I suspect on one hand you have the organization doing some level of testing, but I am sure on the other hand you have agents and bookers telling the talent they need to bulk up etc etc etc...