• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

iPhone 5S/6?

Started by KingIsaacLinksr, April 04, 2013, 12:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bromptonboy

My new phone shipped!  Should get it today or Tuesday.
Pete

Rico

That took some time. Are these things still not just in stores to buy?

Bromptonboy

It turns out that I could have bought this model in an Apple store that is local.  I wasn't able to cancel my online order via the premiere site (I could 'refuse shipment') - so I had to wait.  The original estimate was 11/20 to 125 for shipment.
Pete

Bromptonboy

The iPhone 6 Plus arrived yesterday - so far I love it.  The size is a bit off putting, but I am getting used to the screen real estate. I have to play around with all the new functionality.
Pete

Bromptonboy

Has anyone else played with the health apps?  I guess that is iOS 8 - not phone specific.
Pete

Jobydrone

Not me. 

I got used to the size in about a day and a half, now everyone else's phone looks ridiculously small to me :)
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bromptonboy

I am loving it so far. 
Pete

Ktrek

Hey guys...I was in the AT&T store today to look at getting the wife a new phone or a 4G tablet because she is starting a new job in January in an unfamiliar city. I found out while there that for no extra  charge, if you have the 10gig family share plan for $100, you can now get an extra 5 gigs at no additional cost. I've never used the 10 gigs but I figured what they heck? I might as well and if my wife winds up using more data on her new job I won't have to worry. Anyway, I thought I'd pass that along in case anyone has the same family share plan.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Jobydrone

Thanks Kevin, i think going family share would save us a few bucks but I'm going to stay with my grandfathered unlimited data for as long as I'm allowed.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bromptonboy

I have a 1GB family share for my wife and kids (unlimited talk & text).  The kids have talk-text phones so don't use the data plan, and my wife doesn't use much data (wifi at home when she uses it most).
Like Joby I have the unlimited plan for myself (although in reality I probably barely do 1GB).
Pete

moyer777

Thanks Kevin!  I added the five gigs to my plan and am thrilled!!!! (verizon copied them)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Bromptonboy

Nothing like getting more for less $
Pete

Ktrek

"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Bromptonboy

How does everyone feel about the new phone?  I am as happy as can be with the 6 Plus.  I did turn my old iPhone 4 into a regular iPod for the car (podcasts, audiobooks, music).
Pete

Jobydrone

I am extremely happy with my phone (128G six plus) but I have a few concerns.

First of all, I don't know if anyone else experienced this, but I was forced to update my iMac in order to be able to use the phone with iTunes.  What's up with that?  I was running Snow Leopard on my 2009 iMac and never updated because it worked perfectly and met all my needs, and all I read about was how buggy Lion and Mountain Lion were.  But when I tried to plug in my phone I got a message saying the phone wasn't compatible with the version of iTunes I was running, and it turned out I couldn't update iTunes without upgrading my OS.  I was extremely annoyed and felt this should have been something that needed to be made very public before allowing people to buy these devices.  I did a ton of research for weeks before getting the phone, talked to people at the store of course as well, and nothing I read or heard indicated that I couldn't use the phone with the Snow Leopard OS.

It wound up ok, Yosemite was a free upgrade, and fortunately my pretty old computer was able to run it.  It actually turned out great for my computer: the OS runs well, it's kind of like having a brand new computer...but if my computer was any older it could have been a disaster, leaving the phone unable to sync or connect and basically a useless brick.

Other than that, I've noticed some odd bugs that haven't been fixed.  Both my mom and my wife, both with six plusses, have had instances where they had to hard reboot the phone (holding on/off button and home button at same time until reboot occurs) because either the screen froze, or turned off completely and wouldn't respond.  Also there have been issues with charging...sometimes even when plugged in the phone just won't charge, but a hard reset fixed that as well.  I've had weird bugs with the screen orientation...where it seems to lock in place and not realize which way I'm holding the device until I reset to home screen and open the app again.  It happens a lot in texts and email.  And I've noticed when watching videos and pausing in the middle, if I back out of the video to the root menu of the videos app, it doesn't keep where I was cached in memory, even though I have the settings set to do so.  Finally, my wife's phone has twice gotten "stuck" in headphone mode, even when headphones were not attached, meaning the external speaker wouldn't work. 

All of the above seem to be bugs with the operating system and will hopefully be fixed with future iterations of iOS 8.x.

Bugs aside, this is an amazing piece of hardware.  I love having it in my pocket.