• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Marvel Streams Animated X-Men for Free

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 29, 2009, 11:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/04/marvel-streams-animated-x-men-japanese-spider-man-for-free/

Marvel Entertainment is opening up its superhero TV vault and streaming classic shows featuring the X-Men, Spider-Man and more.

On Tuesday, Marvel.com began streaming weekly episodes of its 1992 animated series X-Men, which, along with DC Comics and Warner Bros.' Batman: The Animated Series, opened the floodgates for a new golden age of cartoon heroics on television.

Better yet: The streams are embeddable. X-Men's first episode, "Night of the Sentinels," is viewable above. Smart move, Marvel. That will help get the word out faster than any press release.

Marvel isn't just leaning on the X-Men crutch to support its animation website. It's also exhumed the excellently nostalgic 1967 live-action Japanese Spider-Man, viewable below, as well as more recent standouts like the CGI-heavy Iron Man: Armored Adventures and Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes.

It's a toon bounty for comics nuts plugged into the next generation of entertainment, and it doesn't come with a ridiculous cable bill.

It's also more proof that the future lies not in DVDs or perhaps even torrents, but in streaming media hosted on fat servers maintained by content owners. Are feature films up next? Let's hope so.

Dangelus

Awesome! For once they don't seem to be geo-locked either!

I can stream it!

Ktrek

Now that the series is finally being released on DVD they decide to do this? Seems kind of foolish. It might affect DVD sales. BTW...Just got the first two volumes from Amazon today!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine