• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"Defying Gravity" - series starts Aug. 2nd

Started by Rico, July 30, 2009, 06:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M-5

If anyone missed it Sunday night, it's a free download on itunes. (Standard and High Definition)

jedijeff

I watched the first two episodes last night. I had missed it when it premiered earlier in the week, but fortunately our Sci-fi like channel Space broadcast it. I thought it was interesting enough, and they mystery about the mission has me wanting to find out more.

billybob476

Quote from: jedijeff on August 09, 2009, 09:40:01 AM
I watched the first two episodes last night. I had missed it when it premiered earlier in the week, but fortunately our Sci-fi like channel Space broadcast it. I thought it was interesting enough, and they mystery about the mission has me wanting to find out more.

I caught the same broadcast Jeff. Gotta love the Space channel! I really enjoyed the show and will be watching it. As discussed I was thrown by the commercials for it but the show turned out to be nothing like the one that was teased in the previews. Quite nice.

Rico

Cool - glad people seem to be liking it too.  New episode on tonight!

X

I'm even more hooked! I love how this is unfolding. I also love the use of flashbacks to really sell us on who these people are just a little at a time.

Vartok

Just watched the first 3 eps on Hulu.com, with limited interruptions.  Wow, this has me hooked big time.  Ron Livingston is perfect as the experienced astronaut commander.  He even looks like one.  Love how they flashback to their astronaut selection process and how they get to know each other early.  Personally trying to figure out how NASA (opps, ISO) would pick THESE people for a 6-7 year mission given their personalities, but then maybe you need some not quite so steady people to last that long in space.  Could you imagine that long if just "the right stuff" kind of people without emotions?  Ep 3 left off with the prospect of the "2001" subterfuge.

So, great actors, magnificent sets and CGI - so what's the heck with 10 pm on Sunday night timing?  Doesn't ABC want to get into the marketability like BSG got the Sci-Fi channel?  That time slot makes me fear it's year 3 of TOS.

[spoiler]Could anyone really want to sabotage a 10 trillion dollar project of this magnitude?  What's with the DNA markers showing up across multiple people?[/spoiler]

V

M-5

It's a great show!  I was hooked from the first episode.  I agree with Vartok.  What's up with the show's time slot?  Sunday at 10 pm?  Really?  Are they trying to make it fail?

Rico

Watched last night's episode and liked it quite a bit.  This is becoming a pretty cool show.  I like the mix of showing them in the past and the present too.  I hope the show is doing ok ratings wise and sticks around for a bit.  I'd be sad if this series gets yanked too soon.  And actually Sunday nights are the biggest TV viewing nights of the week I think still.  Most people stay in and don't go out, etc.  I'd prefer it was on at maybe 9pm, but I always watch it on TIVO the next day anyway so it doesn't matter a lot to me.

The IC

I am having a difficult time getting into this show mainly because of the sloooow pacing and very drawn out drama.

Not to mention, this show has some of the most boring drama that I have seen in quite a while.  Who makes a safety tether that long, btw?

Rico

Well, it is a six year mission to the planets.  I wouldn't expect things to move fast or for them to reveal everything that quickly.

wraith1701

I like the pacing of the show.  Each episode has just enough mystery to keep me coming back, and I'm enjoying the opportunity to get to know the characters. 

The IC

I was initially intrigued by this show because of the sci-fi aspect but this drama filled everyone-is-screwing-or-has-screwed-each-other b.s. is really grating on my nerves and dragging down the plot. The preview for the next episode implies some revelations - I really hope they deliver.

Omra

Quote from: The IC on August 21, 2009, 08:27:30 AM
I am having a difficult time getting into this show mainly because of the sloooow pacing and very drawn out drama.

Not to mention, this show has some of the most boring drama that I have seen in quite a while.  Who makes a safety tether that long, btw?

The length of the tether was not what bugged me, it was the fact that it was not attached to, or could not be atached to a winch that was absurd.

And the overuse of nudity and implied sex is tiresome, you can create an interesting ensamble without it.  Create characters and make me care about them, don't flash me or have them pole dancing, that just shows a lack of imagination or character depth.

Please, more science and less fiction... ;)

ElfManDan

I also agree, I just haven't yet gotten into the show. I've struggled to get through the past 2 episodes on Hulu due to the same reasons you guys have. It just has caught my interest. I think I'll give it a few episodes more before I make the call to continue or not.

wraith1701

I just watched the latest episode on hulu, and liked it.  The series may not have a bunch of fighting & action scenes, but it is a genuinely enjoyable sci-fi series. Very well written, with interesting characters and relationships. For those following the show- [spoiler] I'm just trying to work out what's going on so far.  Please feel free to jump in with your own hypothesis.

After the latest episode, I feel fairly certain that some government agency was aware that there was something (call it The Entity) on Mars, and set up the mission to retrieve it.  Not all if the astronauts were aware of the true nature of the mission.  To keep knowledge of the entity secret, the agency intentionally stranded the 2 lost crewmen. Perhaps the lost crewmen discovered what was really going on?

After the entity was brought back to Earth, the entity somehow informed a select few that it needed to be brought to Venus.  This of course is the reason for the current mission. 

What I'm still puzzling over is 1) Why Venus? 2) Why did the entity arrange to have this specific crew on the Venus mission? 3) what is the entity? [/spoiler]

I know that there isn't any way to definitively answer these questions yet, but I'm curious to hear what other viewers think so far.