• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Star Trek: Season 4 - Family Matters

Started by Jen, September 28, 2007, 07:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Quinn sat in his ready room awaiting his senior staff. The meeting would start at 900 hours and it was just about that time. Quinn sat there contemplating on how much information he was going to give his senior staff. He trusted his crew with his life, but this wasn't going to be your normal Federation mission. Admiral Talbot made it clear that this would be a need to know mission. Quinn wasn't fully comfortable with not knowing every piece of information but he trusted Admiral Talbot, now his crew would have to trust their Captain. Quinn sipped his raktajino as he looked over his data padd.

X

Aeric sat at his console and finalized the last of the subroutines that would create Aurora Mark II. Without Aria's katra as a template, he and his daughter had to build the new personality subroutines from scratch and give her a new visual look.

"Aurora Mark II is ready for activation," Aria said as she worked her holographic interface.

"Computer, activate Aurora hologram," Aeric said as he leaned back in his chair and rested his chin on his hand.

With a shimmer of light, a dark-haired human looking woman appeared wearing a modified red command uniform.

"Please state the purpose of activation," came the soft throaty voice of the woman.

"Aurora, wecome back," Aeric said as he smiled at the rebuilt woman. "What do you remember?"

"My prior memory files are still fragmented, but I can recall roughly 86% of the data. The last few weeks are corrupted and unable to be accessed." Aurora said as she surveyed the bridge.

"It's a start. I need you and Aria to run a full diagnostic on all system. I have something to take care of on the ship, but I want a complete report by the time I return." Aeric said as he moved from his console. "I'm still testing the quantum encrypted comms, so I want to use that as our only means of communication until testing is done."

"Aye Sir." Aurora said as she took his chair.

"Father, I will contact you if there are any issues," Aria said as she opened the airlocks for her father to exit.

Aeric exited the ship and headed into the halls of the Tiberius. Linking to the Tiberius, he sealed the shuttlebay and headed down to begin his work for the day.

Jen

Sevryll made an attempt at indifference, with regards to Khev, and turned her eyes from the marine back to Talbot. "If you will excuse us Admiral," said Sevryll "I have a  debriefing to attend and I would like to show my mother to her quarters beforehand".

"Yes, of course commander," Admiral Talbot replied with a smile. "It was good to see you again Sareth. Perhaps we should have a cup of tea together one evening."

"That would be most agreeable, Sirach," said Sareth. Colonel Khev watched as the two Vulcan women exited the lounge before remarking, "the commander's not one for small talk is she?" He grinned slyly, then downed the glass of replicated Romulan Ale and turned it over on the bar.

The guest cabin on Deck 3, was decorated with various Vulcan artifacts that Sevryll had personally donated from her own quarters. After a brief tour of the facilities, the two made plans for dinner that evening and Sevryll headed off to the debriefing. She was glad to be back on duty, for she always found work preferable to shore leave.

As she entered the turbolift, at the end of the corridor, Sevryll met Chief Engineer K'arath. The Klingon's hazel eyes narrowed as she entered the lift. He straightened his posture and nodded curtly when she greeted him. Sevryll had long ago decided the clean-shaven Klingon was a bit of a recluse...more so than any other Klingon she had known, though admittedly, she was acquainted with very few. Not wishing to make him uncomfortable, she refrained from small talk. To her surprise, K'arath engaged her in polite conversation regarding Selhats and Targs. He seemed particularly interested in a battle to the death between the two animals. He even went as far as proposing that they create a simulation, on the holodeck, to determine the answer. Sevryll couldn't help but be mildly interested in the outcome, and agreed to aid him in the creation of a program that would end the debate.

When the Turbo lift doors opened, they walked together to the captain's ready room. They found him seated at his desk sipping a cup of raktajino. He welcomed them both and motioned for them to sit as they awaited the remainder of the senior staff.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

iceman

The Dr was glad to be back in an environment he was used to, he had been in his office for many hours, going over the list of new recruits and additions to his staff which included two nurses and a new Dr.

He decided it had been awhile since he had been in 5 forward and decided to take a stroll down their for some food and a drink or two.

The doors to 5 forward opened to a loud hum of laughter and noise with crew enjoying each others company. He strolled over to a corner table where he set and ordered a drink well watching the crew interact with each other.

He finished his drink quickly then headed over to the briefing room to hear what the Tiberius's next mission would be.

Rico

"Well, how do you like the Tiberius so far Colonel Mowembe?  Finding her to your liking?"  Admiral told the young Colonel sitting next to him in 5 Forward.  Talbot watched the slight nervousness in Mowembe and was trying to put him more at ease. 

"It's an amazing ship, Admiral.  I don't think I've been on one this advanced before."  Lt. Colonel Arcturus Mowembe said to the Starfleet Admiral he was assigned to protect.  With his life, if necessary.  Mowembe was a very dedicated officer and had no plans to let the Admiral down on this mission.

"Yes, it's a fine vessel Colonel.  But I learned a long time ago that any ship, even a Starship, is only as good as her crew.  But in this case, Tiberius seems to of managed to find herself a fine crew."  Admiral Talbot said as he sipped his drink.  He looked over his security team.  Mowembe seemed eager to please him and appeared to be very excited by the mission ahead.  It was Colonel Khev he was having trouble pinning down.  Something in the back of Talbot's mind kept telling him that there was something more to this Colonel Khev than he was aware of.

"How long have you know Commander Sevryll and her mother if I may ask, Admiral?"  Colonel Khev said, breaking the Admiral out of his thoughtful gaze.

"Oh, I've known the family for years.  Sareth is actually quite a warm person.  Well for a Vulcan, of course.  But she is one of the most strong willed people I have ever known.  I'm not as close to her daughter but I can see she takes quite a bit after her mother.  Maybe in more ways than she might want to admit.  I wish they had stayed a bit longer, it would of been good to catch up.  Well, I'm certain during our upcoming voyage we will have the chance to get reacquainted."  The Admiral told his elite team.  He noticed Khev especially seemed very interested in his opinion of Commander Sevryll.

"Yes, Commander Sevryll seems like a very interesting Vulcan.  Perhaps I might discuss the various ideologies of our two species if we have overlapping off-duty time during our mission."  Khev said, smiling on the inside to himself.  Of course he knew that Sevryll had recognized him, even under his elaborate disguise.  One thing even skilled doctor's couldn't alter were the expressiveness in the eyes.  When he managed to get a free moment he would of course find a quiet place to discuss matters with his wife.  And there was much to discuss between them, Khev realized.  Just then, Admiral Talbot's comm badge chirped.

"Talbot here."  The Admiral said, giving his badge a quick tap.

"Admiral, this is Captain Quinn.  Could you please join me in my ready room?"  Quinn said to the Admiral.  Talbot quickly surmised that Quinn was about to brief his staff about the mission ahead.  Even though he wanted to keep as much of the mission details a secret for as long as possible, Talbot knew that the senior crew would have to know the basics of what they were about to get involved in.  The mission's success could depend on anyone of them at any given time.

"I'm on my way Captain."  Admiral Talbot said as he rose and quickly drained the rest of his drink.  His tall strides already two steps away from the table before Khev rose.

"Admiral, shall we accompany you?"  Khev asked, almost rhetorically. 

"Not for this one Colonel.  I'll brief the two of you later on.  Now enjoy yourselves and get to know the ship and crew.  A good soldier relies on others just as much as himself.  It's how great things are done, Colonel Khev!"  Admiral Talbot said as he gave his two Marines a warm smile as he strode quickly from 5 Forward.

"Well, that was interesting.  Colonel Khev, do you feel like we are a bit out of the loop on this one?"  Mowembe asked his partner.

"Perhaps Colonel.  But I don't intend to let that last for long."  The disguised Section 31 agent said as he sat back down and picked up his drink.

Jen

Though Khev had turned over his glass, the admiral talked him into another round. Soon after Talbot left, Khev finished his second drink and said good night to his fellow marine. "I'm going to find my quarters and settle in—I'll see you tomorrow." The counterfeit  Romulan stood and gave Mowembe a sarcastic salute. The broad shouldered marine then strode with a long, purposeful gate towards the door. The man who portrayed Colonel Khev, was always on guard but gave a great show of casual charm. Yet the charm wasn't really an act, it was a part of his true identity...the only element that he allowed to permeate the faux facade. He liked to add a dash of himself to the act, for artistic flare—just enough to give life to the rendering. 

Instead of finding his quarters, the Romulan thought he'd familiarize himself with the layout of the ship. He had, of course, done his due diligence regarding the Tiberius, but memorizing a schematic and exploring the ship were two different things. First stop, engineering. The systems there obviously weren't his main priority, but he had time to kill and thought he'd at least look around.

He thought again about Sevryll's reaction to him. She obviously could sense a familiarity long before she got a good look at his face—their bond saw to that. It was likely they would be working together during the mission, though he looked forward to being near her again, he hoped the bond, which alerted her to his presence, wouldn't interfere with his job. No matter what feelings he had for her, his duty would always come first. She of all people should understand that—the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and all that jazz. But she couldn't empathize and so, here she was with their twins, living and serving as First Officer aboard a Federation Starship.

His wife had never wanted anything other than to go on her digs and perhaps, one day, captain a science vessel, but fate had chosen a different path for her. David couldn't help but be proud of Sevryll and hoped that one day, she would be proud of him as well.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

X

Aeric heard the request and altered his direction for the captain's ready room. It was going to be his first meeting with the senior staff and he needed to make sure that he made the right impression.

Aeric adjusted his uniform and entered the turbolift. Within a few moments, Aeric found himself entering the ready room and taking a seat. As the Flight Conn officer, it was his duty to be there. As a scientist, he was curious to see what was mission had brought an admiral to the Tiberius.

Geekyfanboy

Quinn sat reading his padd as his senior staff entered his ready room.  As the last person, Admiral Talbot, entered the room and sat down the room became silent. Quinn put down the padd, stood and looked around at his senior staff.

"I hope you all had a very relaxing shore leave. I am very sorry that we had to cut it short but duty calls. I can not disclose too much information about our next mission, but I can tell you this, it will be a diplomatic mission to Romulas. " Several people looked around the room. Quinn continued "Admiral Talbot will be joining us for this mission. Is there anything you would like to say Admiral?"

PepperDude

Yes, Manrique had to see Margon but not tonight. He had to be in the captain's ready room with the rest of the senior staff. Lt. JG Johnny Manrique was now part of the senior staff. That made him feel good. So it was time to focus on the briefing. Hopefully the briefing wouldn't be a routine one. He wanted to continue to have exciting adventures.

After he entered the room he greeted everyone. Then Admiral Talbot entered surprising Manrique. It seemed that the exciting adventures were going to keep on happening. Johnny liked that.

KingIsaacLinksr

Isaac closed his eyes and opened his mind to the ship.  He fully enveloped it with his mind and the crew didn't notice a thing.  As he looked over the ship with his mind, he noticed that some officers were congregating in the ready room.  Curiosity took a hold of the young ensign as he concentrated on the people in there.  Apparently Captain Quinn, an admiral he didn't know, Commander Sevryll and more were in there.  He unobtrusively began reading Captain Quinn's thoughts.  'Where is Ensign Starstriker?  He should have gotten here.'  'Uh oh...' thought Isaac.  'Hm?!  Who is there?! Starstriker?!' wondered Quinn.  Isaac immediately withdrew his mind.  He opened his eyes and got up from his table.  He quickly walked to the nearest turbo lift and ordered it to the bridge. 

Isaac entered the ready room just as Quinn had finished saying "Is there anything you would like to say Admiral?"  Looking sheepish Isaac immediately sat down.  Quinn raised an eyebrow in his direction but said nothing.  The Admiral began to talk.

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

"Ensign I will only say this once.  I don't appreciate having my mind probed.  Not even casually.  Even a half Romulan like myself can pick up on such probing.  Do I make myself clear, Ensign."  Admiral Talbot said as he stood up.

"Yes sir Admiral.  Perfectly.  I apologize sir.  It won't happen again."  Ensign Starstriker said to the Admiral, somewhat nervously.

"Good.  Now to the mission at hand.  First, I want to let you all know that what I am about to reveal is highly sensitive information.  It is for the eyes and ears of those within this room for the time being.  Even Starfleet Command is not fully aware of our mission.  If they did, they would be accountable and that's something we have to avoid.  Captain Quinn, I'm sure you will vouch for your officers and their ability to keep this material confidential."  Talbot said looking down at the Captain seated at his Ready Room desk.

"Certainly Admiral.  I trust them implicitly."  Quinn said, giving a slight look over at his First Officer Sevryll.  She gave just the slightest nod towards Quinn.  Sevryll knew with her husband (an agent of Section 31) aboard keeping secrecy was going to be difficult.

"Excellent Captain.  Now I have brought a briefing data chip.  I want to show everyone our route to Romulus."  Admiral Talbot said as he slipped the isolinear chip into a nearby display terminal.  The screen came to life and showed an overview of the course the Tiberius would have to take to Romulus.

"Well, that doesn't appear to be the most direct route Admiral."  Quinn said first, but noticed others had picked up on it as well.

"You are of course correct Captain.  However, this course will get us past most of the common trade routes that commercial freighters take back and forth to Romulus.  I want to keep our mission a secret for as long as possible.  We will of course still have to pass by some heavily patrolled areas near the Romulan Neutral Zone and of course once we near the main star system it will be difficult to avoid detection.  I'm open to ideas on that little problem."  The Admiral said as he pressed a control padd near the terminal and red highlighted areas appeared on the course they would have to follow.

"Don't worry Admiral.  I've piloted in tougher situations sir."  Ensign Starstriker said, trying to gain back the Admiral's good graces.

"I have a feeling we are going to put those skills to the test Ensign.  Now, as far as the exact details of the mission they are two-fold.  The first being getting myself to Romulus and the second to lend aid to certain individuals there.  However, if the Romulan government learns what we are up to we are on our own.  They won't exactly be rolling out the red carpet for us."  Admiral Talbot said, smiling at the senior staff that Quinn had gathered.  They all looked so young and eager to him.  He wondered slightly if he was maybe getting a bit old for all this.  He had logged many star miles in his years and the weight of all those missions, both the good and the bad ones sometimes was a heavy load to carry.

"Admiral, the Tiberius and her crew will make certain you get to Romulus and we will offer any aid we can.  You can count on us sir!"  Quinn said as he got up and walked over to Talbot.

"I knew I could Captain.  I will turn the meeting over to Captain Quinn and field any questions or comments anyone has.  But bear in mind, I do want to keep some of the finer details off record for the time being.  But rest assured by the time we enter Romulan space everything will be out on the table."  The Admiral said as he took a seat.

X

Aeric listened quietly as the Admiral informed them that they would be violating the neutral zone on a secret mission. Not since his childhood had he been on such an assignment. It was one worthy of Kirk's exploits.

If anything was troubling him, it was his promise to his daughter and the attempted intrusion on his mind. Aeric couldn't fault the ensign for being curious, but there were rules in Starfleet that prevented such actions. The kid was quite luck that those who he touched didn't respond with their own powers.

Aeric could see that he was still young, so he wouldn't make an issue of it. He was going to need his strength when he discussed his child with the XO. With a thought to the Aurora, he started her on a full diagnostic of weapons and defenses. They were going to be dealing with the Romulans and in his experience, someone would be shooting at them on some part of the mission. He did have one question for the Admiral, but he would save it until everyone else had a chance to voice their questions.

3 Ducks in a Man Costume

After making preparations in his quarters,Remor found himself in front of 5 Forward again. Unlike earlier, the lounge was strangely deserted. There were a bunch of junior officers, crew, and civilians sitting around the tables, but the command officers were gone, as were many of the lieutenants and noncom engineers. "They must be in meetings," Remor thought. "We should be departing soon." He strode up to the bar.

"Back so soon?" Brex asked him.

"Yes," Remor said. "I decided to explore the arboretum. This ship has some fascinating specimens."

"Hmm," Brex said, clearly feigning interest. "In all this time, I've never been. But I'm not a big fan of the humidity."

"I see," Remor said, glad that Brex hadn't quizzed him.

"What can I get you?"

"Romulan ale," Remor said matter-of-factly.

"Shh!" Brex said, moving in closer, his voice dimming to a whisper. "Keep your voice down!"

"Romulan ale," Remor said again, this time in a hushed voice.

"I'm sorry," Brex said, glaring into Remor's eyes. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Remor pulled a strip—not a slip—of latinum from his jacket pocket and laid it on the bar with a loud *clink*. He took a private, perverse pleasure in testing the barman's nerves. Brex immediately covered it with his rag, looking around to see if anyone had noticed. No one had.

"How did you know?" the blue man asked.

"You are a bartender," Remor said. "It's in your interest."

Brex paused for a moment, staring at Remor's Vulcan features quizzically. Then, slowly, he took out a metal Klingon cup, ducked behind the bar, and, from what Remor could hear, rummaged around behind a false panel. Brex came back up with the opaque stein full almost to the brim. At first, Remor thought it odd that he would have to drink Romulan ale from a Klingon cup, but then he realized that he couldn't simply stroll around 5 Forward with the sky-blue liquid sloshing around in the traditional crystal tumbler for all to see.

"Thank you," Remor said, turning away to find a seat by the windows.

"Hey," Brex said, pinching the sleeve of Remor's jacket. "You're not like any Vulcan I've met before. You sure you're feeling OK?"

"I cleared my preboarding health exam," Remor said.

"Yeah . . ." Brex said, letting go of the sleeve.

Remor found a seat by the window and sat sipping his ale while watching the shuttles buzz around outside.

Jen

There was an unusual number of telepaths aboard Tiberius and most of them did their best to keep their minds to themselves. Yet, on occasion, Sevryll could feel an experimental exploration of her thoughts—and just before the briefing, she sensed one such probe. The meld she reluctantly preformed with Ensign Isaac Starstriker, to pull him out of his coma, had given her an impression of his abilities as well as an imprint of his thoughts, and she was certain the invasion she felt was him. Once she detected his presence in her mind, the Vulcan woman pushed the uninvited guest out and glanced at Quinn and Talbot. She apparently was not the only person he had probed.

"Did you feel that?" Quinn asked.

"Indeed. Ensign Starstriker has made an innocent attempt to gage the temperament of the crew—yet he has inadvertently overstepped the boundary of private thought," replied Sevryll. "I will speak to him sir," she said.

"No, I'll handle it Commander," said Admiral Talbot and Quinn in unison.

The admiral began the briefing, once everyone had arrived, and indicated that questions should be directed to the Captain. Sevryll turned to Quinn and asked "is there a strategy in place for our recovery mission? Should we begin forming teams for the task?" She searched the Captain's face for any indication of subtle communication. Her father was the individual they would be recovering and her concerns were focused on his safe return.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

iceman

Dr. Casey , spoke up and asked the captain if their would be any need for minor medical modifcations for the landing party to blend into their environment for as long as possible, or if any special medical equipment would be needed other than the standard med kit.

Dr. Peterson waited for the Captains response to his questions.