"Collision Course" - Week three - Ch. 37 - end

Started by Rico, April 21, 2008, 09:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Well, I'm into the last leg of this book.  Anyone else reading it?

Rico

Well, I finished up the book.  Not bad overall.  Some of the stuff didn't quite seem like how the young Kirk and Spock would be or act.  Also, the story isn't really very Trek-like.  Mostly just a young Kirk trying to fight a crime group that is stealing stuff from Starfleet.  But still, it had it's fun moments.  Some of it was again not how I would picture their early times in Starfleet, but I kind of read it like one possible way they first met and got into the Academy.  Wouldn't mind another one in the series.

wraith1701

QuoteWell, I finished up the book.  Not bad overall.  Some of the stuff didn't quite seem like how the young Kirk and Spock would be or act.  Also, the story isn't really very Trek-like.  Mostly just a young Kirk trying to fight a crime group that is stealing stuff from Starfleet.  But still, it had it's fun moments.  Some of it was again not how I would picture their early times in Starfleet, but I kind of read it like one possible way they first met and got into the Academy.  Wouldn't mind another one in the series.

I read a few of the earlier "Shatnerverse" Trek novels a few years back-- There were a few that dealt with the mirror universe and involved Picard and some of the TNG crew.  I think one of them was called "The Return"; it was about how Kirk was brought back to life after dying in Generations.  Interesting books; and like you, I sort of think of them as alternate reality takes on Trek continuity. 

With the new movie coming out, part of me is kind of scared to read any possible depictions of what young Kirk and Spock were up to.  I'm afraid that it might color the way that I view what Abrams has up his sleeve.  I've been checking out your posts about the book, however, and I've been convinced to give this book a read after I get a chance to see Trek XI.