Vote for the next book

Started by Duffster, January 11, 2008, 04:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should the next book be for the Treks in Sci-Fi book Club

Collision Course  by William Shatner, Judith Reeves-Stevens, and Garfield Reeves-Stevens
0 (0%)
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein
5 (71.4%)
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
0 (0%)
The Once and Future King by T. H. White
1 (14.3%)
Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton
1 (14.3%)
Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Duffster

I include the 2nd and 3rd voted books from last month, and included another. If you have another one you would like added to the poll, post here.

Duffster
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

Rico

I would like to see a fourth title up there.  I can't recall, are we sticking to only SF or did we want to include fantasy too?

Duffster

I vote yea for fantasy!! I think it's a great idea.... but will leave the decision to the masses...lol

Duffster
www.thehugonaut.com

Rico

Duffster - maybe toss a good fantasy book up there in this groups vote.  I was trying to come up with a good fantasy book that isn't part of some epic series.  Anyone know of a good, single book fantasy story?

Jen

I think I'll sit out during this one... I want to read Darth Bane: Rule Of Two next. :)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Ktrek

I don't know if listing books only available in hardback would be a stumbling block for some, but books like Collision Course are close to $25.00 and may be more than what some members can afford for a single book. I don't have a problem myself as I collect all the Star Trek books as they come out. I'm just saying.

I'd also like to see a fourth selection but as it stands right now I may sit this month out anyway.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

billybob476

Well our first book was hardback and no one complained really. Though since we just did a Star Trek book I think we should jump to something else, keep a rotation going.

Rico

Yep - I agree with billy.  Hardbacks are ok.  Buying online makes them pretty reasonable.  Heck, paperbacks cost like $7 or more anyway now.  As far as the selection, I also think keeping things changing is good.  I'm inclined to want something straight SF or fantasy next time and not either Trek or SW since we have done those so far.

billybob476

If we want something a little more hard SF I cannot recommend Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton enough. It's a much much more intense read then the books we've done so far but he creates a very rich universe and a very intriguing story.

I read it a few months ago and I really would like to go through it again and discuss.

Ktrek

Quote from: Rico on January 11, 2008, 05:56:10 AM
I was trying to come up with a good fantasy book that isn't part of some epic series.  Anyone know of a good, single book fantasy story?

A couple good fantasy stories I can think of are each ultimately part of a series but can be read as stand alones because they were the first books and were not intended to be part of a series.

The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks
Lord Valentine's Castle - Robert Silverberg

Unfortunately the industry has been driven by "epic" stories lately in both fantasy and sci-fi. I personally hate to get started in multi-part series unless I know I can finish them. The Brook's novel is much along the Tolkien line but far easier to read IMHO and the Silverberg is just such a wonderful fantasy world that you can hardly put the book down. It's been years since I read either and so I would not mind reading them again.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Duffster

Ok, I added Pandora's Star,
Also The Once and Future King and Lord Valentines Castle. for a fantasy choice
www.thehugonaut.com

Jen

What about Harry Turtledove books? I've been interested in trying these eventually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Turtledove
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

billybob476

Nooo I can't take back my vote!

Rico

Some good stuff there I'd say.  Time to get voting!

Ktrek

We probably should warn anyone that votes for Pandora's Star that it is a cliffhanger and I think there are two other books that follow. In other words don't expect a conclusion.

Kevin