• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

New "Star Trek" game for consoles

Started by Rico, June 03, 2011, 04:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

I wish there was a game this good looking that featured the original cast.  Nothing against Pine and Quinto, but they ain't no Shatner and Nimoy.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jobydrone

Some encouraging words from Paramount regarding this upcoming game:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/27/4150912/star-trek-the-video-game-wont-be-a-throwaway-piece-of-merchandise

Star Trek: The Video Game 'won't be a throwaway piece of merchandise,' Paramount says

By Tracey Lienon Mar 27, 2013 at 8:30a @traceylien

Paramount Pictures' Star Trek video game will challenge the stigma associated with licensed games when it is released next month, according to the SVP of marketing, Brian Miller.

Speaking to Polygon during a demo of the upcoming third-person action adventure set in the J.J. Abrams Star Trek universe, Miller said both Paramount and the game's developer, Digital Extremes, were aware of the stigma of games based on movies, but both were still determined to make the game and "get it right."

"When we look at the stigma of movie-based games, we can kind of break down those challenges into three categories," Miller said. "One is there was never enough time to make a game that could stand up there with other AAA games. By the time you get all the assets from filming and you're ready to make the game, you've got about 12 months before the film comes out."

The second reason, Miller said, is working with the right creative people. Often, studios, publishers and license holders will clash over ideas, and the final result is a product of everyone's compromised vision.

"The game isn't being 'cranked out quickly as a throwaway piece of merchandise.'"

"And the third is just funding it correctly," he said.

According to Miller, Paramount Pictures addressed each of these problems early on to ensure that the game would not be marred by the issues that movie-based games typically experience. Star Trek has been in active development for three years, which Miller said is "an eternity" for a movie game. It's being published by Paramount, who holds the license to Star Trek and is responsible for the feature films. It's also being funded by Paramount, so the game isn't being "cranked out quickly as a throwaway piece of merchandise."

On the creative side, Miller said the studios involved also looked at what didn't work in previous movie games to learn what not to do.

"When we looked back at some of the movie games and why they didn't work, one of the reasons was you were basically aping what viewers had already seen," Miller said. "If you made a game directly off the last movie — now they go to the space dive, then they're gonna go to the ice planet — there was no chance to change up the narrative and give a gamer an experience story-wise."

Instead of basing the game on the 2009 film or the upcoming Star Trek Into the Darkness, the Star Trek video game is set between the two films, which gives the developers a chance to tell a new story that is also canon.

"It's important for us to explain to everybody that what we're trying to do is create a completely new, untold adventure of Kirk and Spock," Miller said. "We didn't want to ape what was in the last movie, we didn't want to try to repeat what you're going to see in the new film. We wanted to make sure that we had a game where you're watching this real battle back and forth between Kirk and Spock as they come across an enemy we've pulled from Canon to bring up-to-date in this new game."

Miller emphasized the importance of having both Kirk and Spock as playable characters in the game because the chemistry between them is a large part of what makes Star Trek appealing. Two players can play together in co-op mode, and in single-player mode an AI will control the other character. Both characters play differently, with Kirk exuding a brash, cowboy-like personality and Spock taking a more considered, logical approach.

When Paramount's Star Trek video game releases next month, Miller hopes that players will feel as they've gone on a new and authentic adventure with Kirk and Spock, and experience a story that can stand alongside the films.

Star Trek will release in North America on April 23 on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

ChrisMC

Here's hoping. I will be getting it next month, changed my preorder from Aliens to this (and after playing Aliens I'm fairly certain I made a good call, sight unseen on this game). Licensed games are usually crappy, watch out for the new Walking Dead game....but the one from last year that was on XBox Live in episodes was awesome.

I love a good co-op game, so if that element is strong and there's some replayability, it'll be a winner.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

KingIsaacLinksr

They had better be right because we've gotten nothing but absolute trash license games this year and this is pretty terrible considering we had good license games like The Walking Dead by Telltale games last year. I will not be getting Star Trek the game on release, going to wait for the reviews to come in. Hope Paramount isn't lying.
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Jobydrone

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on March 27, 2013, 01:31:18 PM
They had better be right because we've gotten nothing but absolute trash license games this year and this is pretty terrible considering we had good license games like The Walking Dead by Telltale games last year. I will not be getting Star Trek the game on release, going to wait for the reviews to come in. Hope Paramount isn't lying.
It does sound suspiciously like marketing speak, and the guy quoted in the article is Senior Vice President of marketing, so that's why.  But I'll take him at his word since he said everything I wanted to hear.  And this game has Gorn!

Quote from: Chris-El on March 27, 2013, 01:13:54 PM
Here's hoping. I will be getting it next month, changed my preorder from Aliens to this (and after playing Aliens I'm fairly certain I made a good call, sight unseen on this game). Licensed games are usually crappy, watch out for the new Walking Dead game....but the one from last year that was on XBox Live in episodes was awesome.

I love a good co-op game, so if that element is strong and there's some replayability, it'll be a winner.
Indeed...I rented the new Walking Dead game from Redbox...it is trash.  Just boring, repetitive, and no fun.  Not sure what they were thinking there, other than dollar signs after Telltale's massive success with last year's game which couldn't be more different than this new one.  I hope this new Star Trek game isn't tied to an online pass for co-op, because I will likely be renting this as well, and I'd like to get some co-op games in with you, Chris.

ChrisMC

Yeah, I'll get with you after I get it and we can do some XBox live.

I do get suspicious when I'm told that a game isn't something....sort of like all the positive talk from the devs about Colonial Marines....and we REALLY need a great Star Trek game...I think Bridge Commander was the last one I played more than the initial playthrough.

Jobydrone

That Voyager FPS wasn't too bad, and Encounters was good on PS2. Then Invasion on the original PS was pretty good too. Seems like we get one decent game per console cycle.

ChrisMC

Quote from: Jobydrone on March 27, 2013, 02:32:40 PM
That Voyager FPS wasn't too bad, and Encounters was good on PS2. Then Invasion on the original PS was pretty good too. Seems like we get one decent game per console cycle.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Elite Force, that was a pretty fun game. Legacy on the 360 was OK, the ships looked cool, but it was wasn't super.

Jobydrone

Right, Legacy was just okay...beautiful game but I got stuck somewhere early on and gave up. I never got to the TNG part which was extremely disappointing. I need to go back to that game again.

Rico

KingIsaacLinksr

Best trailer for a game I've seen in a long time. Just killed me. :).

Ricardocameron

www.GoldenRetrieverErrands.com
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make its own judgment." ~Dr. Zefram Cochrane

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." -Arthur C. Clarke

Ricardocameron

Quote from: ChrisMC on March 27, 2013, 01:52:28 PM
I think Bridge Commander was the last one I played more than the initial playthrough.
That game has some aweome mods with a great community still supporting it.  new missions and ships!
www.GoldenRetrieverErrands.com
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make its own judgment." ~Dr. Zefram Cochrane

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." -Arthur C. Clarke

KingIsaacLinksr

Hearing reports that this game has a lot of bugs and glitches, co-op doesn't work, etc.

*sigh*. This is looking like another movie-tie-in game failure. Getting really effing tired of this.