• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

New Knights of the Old Republic game!

Started by Bryancd, June 05, 2009, 03:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Feathers on March 13, 2011, 10:44:04 AM
Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on March 13, 2011, 10:30:26 AM
How about a more sobering look at the actual gameplay of SW:TOR MMO? 

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Fate of the Galaxy Gameplay Trailer

Call me jaded, but having two powerful development companies work on a MMO for years with millions of dollars in the budget, I just expected to be wowed by this trailer.  LucasArts and Bioware who have made the Force Unleased, Mass Effect 2 and other great games seem to have given us something that looks and feels mediocre by current MMO standards.  And we haven't even seen the UI yet.  It saddens me that this is the best they have come up with so far.  RIFT at least looked better to me. 

King

As a complete non-player here, you come across as pretty jaded on most things, MMOs in particular! ;)

This is true ;).  You can't blame me too much, MMOs and I have a...bad past. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

Tim - you can see some of the actual UI and gameplay if you look on YouTube.  I was just really blown away by this movie type trailer.  It's not the game really, but it is very, very cool.

Meds

Rico

Rico

Rico

Well, looks like they are trying to get this game out before the end of the year or maybe early 2012.  Read on:

During the same Electronic Arts investor call yesterday in which company CEO John Riccitiello discussed the release delay for Mass Effect 3, new insights were also offered on forthcoming release of another of the publisher's highly anticipated video games. Fans and Activision Blizzard both have been watching very closely for news of the massively multiplayer online role-playing game, Star Wars: The Old Republic. The former because it's a gaming community built around Star Wars and the former because SW:TOR is the most viable threat yet to World of Warcraft's undisputed dominance of the MMO market.

The latest EA earnings report, issued to investors as an accompaniment to the conference call, states that the game is set to launch "in the second half of calendar 2011″ (via GameSpot). EA Games president Frank Gibeau referred to The Old Republic launch as the "biggest event of the year." He wouldn't specify a more specific date or release window, claiming that the publisher doesn't want to "tip off the competition" and that more data is needed from the game's ongoing closed beta before a release can be officially set.

Company CFO Eric Brown also brought up SW:TOR, though his forecast makes mention of a possible later release, in 2012. "Although we fully anticipate launching Star Wars: The Old Republic [by the end of 2012], the low end of our guidance range assumes the outside possibility of a January launch," he said. Riccitiello was similarly cautious in his own statements. "The launch date, while in our fiscal year, is not yet certain" (via Joystiq). EA's fiscal year ends in March 2012, so it seems we can expect the MMO to arrive before or by then.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/games/star-wars-the-old-republic-release-expected-in-2011-not-confirmed/

Bryancd

X

Yeah ... for me, these trailers and shorts have been better than the last 3 movies and most of clone wars

Rico

Bryancd

Thank you for the imbed! I was having a helluva time doing for some reason...

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on June 06, 2011, 05:15:49 PM
Thank you for the imbed! I was having a helluva time doing for some reason...

No problem.  I just searched on Youtube for it and found an HD version there.  All you do then is post the full link from Youtube in your post.  Easy Peasy!

Rico

KingIsaacLinksr

You know, Bioware should have just made movies.  Cinematics are all well and good, but I fear that so much work has gone into them rather than the game itself that the game will be so-so.  But we'll see!

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on September 24, 2011, 10:01:24 AM
You know, Bioware should have just made movies.  Cinematics are all well and good, but I fear that so much work has gone into them rather than the game itself that the game will be so-so.  But we'll see!

King

People that have actually played the Beta have been saying some good things.

Rico