• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"Last Days on Mars" - movie

Started by Rico, September 19, 2013, 03:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Looks pretty cool.  Has an Aliens vibe to it.  The interesting thing about this film is it's releasing via iTunes and VOD services on Oct. 31st, but in theaters on Dec. 6th.  Interesting marketing strategy.

Plot Summary: On the last day of the first manned mission to Mars, a crew member of Tantalus Base believes he has made an astounding discovery – fossilized evidence of bacterial life. Unwilling to let the relief crew claim all the glory, he disobeys orders to pack up and goes out on an unauthorized expedition to collect further samples. But a routine excavation turns to disaster when the porous ground collapses, and he falls into a deep crevice and near certain death. His devastated colleagues attempt to recover his body. However, when another vanishes they start to suspect that the life-form they have discovered is not yet dead. As the group begins to fall apart it seems their only hope is the imminent arrival of the relief ship Aurora.

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=83789

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCMa5KxHHZU#ws

Bromptonboy

Hmmm, i'll see it to support stuff like this.  Hope I like it.
Pete

ChrisMC

Space zombies? Looks like somethin.' Love Liev Schreiber.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

X

Rico, there's been a bunch of movies that have been releasing like that. Hell baby springs to mind instantly as a recent one.

Rico

Quote from: X on September 19, 2013, 05:51:09 PM
Rico, there's been a bunch of movies that have been releasing like that. Hell baby springs to mind instantly as a recent one.

Yes, a few movies but I wouldn't say a bunch.  And I'm not up on my "Hell Baby" films.  :)

M-5

Looks good.  I'll definitely see it.

MARKO

Rico... they always say releasing in theaters but they never do or were intended too. Looks pretty good can't wait to watch it on Apple TV.
"Amat Victoria Curam"

Rico

Quote from: MARKO on September 21, 2013, 02:12:13 PM
Rico... they always say releasing in theaters but they never do or were intended too. Looks pretty good can't wait to watch it on Apple TV.

This isn't a standard direct to DVD film.  It's just being shown digitally, on-demand ahead of it's theater release.

X

Quote from: Rico on September 21, 2013, 03:29:48 PM
Quote from: MARKO on September 21, 2013, 02:12:13 PM

This isn't a standard direct to DVD film.  It's just being shown digitally, on-demand ahead of it's theater release.
I think he's referring to the fact that there have been more than a dozen films to come out in recent years digitally and on demand that have said that they are being released there first but will be in theaters soon. Most of those films never see a theater.

This is part of a new class of Digital to theater marketing that many never see in the theater. Release dates get moved around or the release is so limited as to being a single showing at a single arthouse in the middle of nowhere to have truth to the advertising.

Rico

I knew of a few films like this but this is the first that I know of that seems to be of a fairly big budget, known cast, etc.  I'd love to see a list of those films and see how it paid off for them.  How much do they usually charge for the home, digital viewing?  Is it to buy or rent the films usually??

Dangelus

Sounds interesting!

Although they forgot the first rule. Don't name your base Tantalus and expect everything to be alright! Lol

MARKO

I rented the movie Last days on Mars last night from, iTunes anyone else see this movie yet? It was pretty good don't wanna give spoilers but its sci-fi horroe on Mars not a new story line but i enjoyed it.

Marko
"Amat Victoria Curam"

Rico

Cool to know.  I'll merge this with the other topic on this movie.