• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

iOS 5 talk

Started by Rico, October 12, 2011, 08:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingIsaacLinksr

Well, I'm setup with iMessage and everything.  :)  Real surprised at all they added in this update. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Dangelus

Did the iPhone last night, download took about 1 hour but it upgraded without issue.

Waited until this morning to do the iPad. Download took 2 minutes! Currently restoring so fingers crossed....

Meds

My mate lost all his photos and 70% of his apps. Thank goodness for back up. Dan do you have a 4 or 3Gs?

Dangelus

3GS

Had no issues. I did a manual backup first then downloaded the update ONLY. Waited for everything to complete then updated the phone.

Feathers

The update was pig to perform time-wise (server issues) but was almost painless in terms of errors etc (although it did drop out in 'brick' state at one point).

The main problem I had was too much content so the restore dropped out through being unable to fit everything back on the device. I had to manually resync the music but that wasn't a big deal in the end.

The main things I'm happy with are:

a) Notifications: as expected, an improvement over what went before although I haven't really decided how best to configure them yet
b) iMessage: interesting but only if I can persuade the family to set it up on their devices
c) keyboard shortcuts: this was a surprise feature I hadn't heard about in advance. PalmOS had it a decade ago and it's a godsend if you have an email address with a long surname in it (for example)
d) Week view calendar: Finally!

Of the others, at the moment:

a) WiFi sync: We'll see. I only really sync for OS updates anyway so I don't think this is a big deal.
b) iCloud: Again, we'll see.

I'm sure I'll post on other little tweaks as I find them.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Jobydrone

For anyone with an iPad, how is Safari?  Is tabbed browsing cool?  I think that, along with iMessage, is my most looked forward to feature.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Dangelus

Tabbed browsing is very nice!

Rico

I've been using 2 or 3 other browsers so tabbed browsing is not really new or special for me.  Frankly, I think all I will really use with the update is iCloud.  No real need for most of the rest for me on my iPad.

Feathers

Being slow, it's just occurred to me that iMessage will make for a really great transatlantic SMS service so I can text all you US people to death :)

For some reason, this idea feels more 'personal' (or maybe private?) than a tweet or a facebook message.

Quote from: Rico on October 13, 2011, 04:50:57 AM
I've been using 2 or 3 other browsers so tabbed browsing is not really new or special for me.  Frankly, I think all I will really use with the update is iCloud.  No real need for most of the rest for me on my iPad.

That will only be true until we all start iMessging you :D

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Dangelus

Quote from: Feathers on October 13, 2011, 04:53:32 AM
Being slow, it's just occurred to me that iMessage will make for a really great transatlantic SMS service so I can text all you US people to death :)

For some reason, this idea feels more 'personal' (or maybe private?) than a tweet or a facebook message.

That will only be true until we all start iMessging you :D

Yep I've sent a few test iMessages already! :)

True I've used icab which has tabs but I always seem to go back to Safari for main browsing so it's nice to have it there.

Wifi sync is handy but like Mike I only used to sync for updates and backups which can can done wirelessly now so... Well it's set up and will do it automatically so it's nice to have.

Jobydrone

I know that the wireless backup is supposed to happen when you plug the device into a power source...does that occur in the background or does it limit your ability to use the device?  I know with previous versions when you are syncing over a wired connection you can't do anything else unless you cancel out.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bromptonboy

I would really like to see a 'Delete All' from the mailboxes  is that included by any chance?  I kicked off the download at home - and will update the phone when I get home tonight.
Pete

Dangelus

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on October 13, 2011, 07:20:52 AM
I know that the wireless backup is supposed to happen when you plug the device into a power source...does that occur in the background or does it limit your ability to use the device?  I know with previous versions when you are syncing over a wired connection you can't do anything else unless you cancel out.

It happens in the background. If you plug in to charge and the screen locks it will start to backup. Or you can do it manually in the settings.

Rico

I prefer to have it backed up on my PC still too.

billybob476

When you dock it to your computer, does iTunes still do the local backup even if you have iCloud active?