• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

The iPad

Started by Bryancd, January 27, 2010, 12:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

I've been busy and haven't looked at all the specs and stuff, but can you just use this thing around your house and link into your WiFi?  I just wouldn't want another monthly bill, but I'd love to have it to surf the web, watch video, read stuff, etc. while at my house.

KingIsaacLinksr

I've just gone and died in heaven.  I'm drooling over here, and it hurts.  I WANTS!!  PRECIOUS WANTS IPAD.  PRECIOUS KILL FOR IPAD!!  

lols

That looks really neat.  Too bad I can't even afford the iPod touch.  Oh wallet, why must you be so cruel.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

moyer777

It is wifi ready Rico, if you want the 3G you have to contract with AT&T for $30 a month.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

Quote from: moyer777 on January 27, 2010, 04:45:04 PM
It is wifi ready Rico, if you want the 3G you have to contract with AT&T for $30 a month.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought.  So it can operate pretty much like a bigger iPod touch.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on January 27, 2010, 04:49:25 PM
Quote from: moyer777 on January 27, 2010, 04:45:04 PM

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought.  So it can operate pretty much like a bigger iPod touch.

Or $15/month for 250 MB.

alanp

I didn't get the feeling that it was a must have product for me like the iMac, iPod Classic, or iPhone.

I'd have to put this one with the AppleTV and Macbook Air as a toy that I would play with, but I probably won't be adding it to my shopping list.

It's a good start but I'll be impressed when they make the browser a full featured browser with flash and all the plug-ins, and someone writes a really good word processer.

EDIT:

Never mind about the word processer. I typed that before seeing that iWork will be on the iPad.

alanp

I just thought of something watching this keynote...  If the iPad is unlocked, do we really need that AT&T package?  Just say if you put your iPhone sim or any other sim from a phone if you already subscribe to data?

Ktrek

I read on another site that the Ipad does not support multi-tasking. Now what the heck was Apple thinking? That's just plain screwy when almost everyone multi-tasks!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

moyer777

my ipod touch is really not multi task eithe.  But I still can switch between things easily.  I can listen to music while checking email or playing a game, surfing the web etc.  But I can't open up multiple windows.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Ktrek

Here's an interesting poll on MSNBC. Only 25% say it's a "must have" the others are mostly epic failure or meh. That may change when people can actually see and hold one in an Apple store but there is a lot of negativity by a lot of folks who had higher expectations from Apple. And I can't believe that there was nobody at Apple who could see the complaints about the name coming! I mean...these are supposedly some of the smartest people in the world. Were none of them married?

http://msnbc.newsvine.com/_question/2010/01/27/3817168-apple-ipad-must-have-or-epic-fail

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Feathers

Well, it looks very nice but isn't something I'm going to be lusting after. Maybe I'd be a little more interested if I hadn't inherited Dad's netbook for Christmas but the primary reason for that was to get a second device with a keyboard in the house - a need an iPADD (sic) wouldn't answer for me.

I have a iPhone which is ultra portable and, to me, this is just a bigger version to the extent that it runs the same applications. OK, once bespoke software starts to appear for it then I think we'll see a bigger difference between the two platforms emerge but that's going to take some time. Even then, it's still too close to the iPhone. I don't need/want both.

Having said all that, if I didn't have the phone then I'd probably go for this so I think it will sell. I wouldn't want to guess at numbers but I'll be interested to see how much crossover with the iThingy market there is. Of course, if they've just created a new market, then we're probably looking at gold dust here.

...and remember, I said I'd never own an iPhone when they first came out.

Quote from: Bromptonboy on January 27, 2010, 12:10:26 PM
This iPad looks cool, but the price is too high (once you ad a decent sized drive..and 3G....and WiFi...).

WiFi is an 'out of the box' feature on all models so there's nothing to add for that unless you need to buy the infrastructure for home.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bromptonboy

I cannot think why I would want to carry this around instead of a netbook or laptop.  Like Brother Feathers - I couldn't live without my iPhone.
My initial thought is that the iPad will sell, but not have the massive impact that other Apple products have had on the market.
Pete

Bryancd

Well, let's see, just in our little discussion here, Rick, Kenny, and myself all want one. King thinks it's cool, my 20 year old brother called me last night and he likes it and he is a total tech head and a buddy who doesn't get into gadgets at all called me as well and he wants one. Doesn't sound very meh to me. Already this morning, research analysts are rasing estimates for Apple earnings and modeling for up to 5 million unit sales this year.

Rico

I'm really wondering how people already with iPhones and paying for those already will take to this.  Seems like a duplication of many things for them.  I think the product looks pretty neat and I'm tempted right now since I don't have an iPhone - plus Lynn has wanted some type of eBook reader.  Maybe I'll get her one and surprise her (shush - don't tell).   ;)

X

I want one. The size and color features are perfect for the type of reader I've always been looking for.