• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Are you a lurker

Started by davekill, February 09, 2011, 06:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davekill

All you lurkers raise your right hand unless your driving, then keep both hands on the wheel.

I'm surprised this question hasn't been asked before.

This morning I saw 24 guest and 2 users logged on - so I must say yes (I was the 24th).
Often I'll stop by in the morning to see what's up - then check my email and dash off to work.
If I log it's to easy to loose track of time. Doh! gotta go!!

Rico

Just so you know, the last week or so I've had several spammers trying to register for the forum.  So I think that is part of the many multiple guests we are seeing lately.

Meds

I'm always logged in and so never a guest. Spammers sheesh will they never learn.

Rico

I finally had to mega-block a whole range of IP addresses for this recent clown.  That will teach him!

billybob476

Rico

ori-STUDFARM

There seems to be a real problem with spammers just lately. I know they're always about, but every forum I frequent, including the one I moderate, seems inundated with spammers getting by the security measures.

billybob476

It goes in waves I find. If a new exploit is found, you'll find a lot of spambots taking advantage of it until it is patched.

Geekyfanboy

Yeah Anomaly forums had a slew (about 60) spammers a few weeks ago.. not sure why it seems it's on the rise.

As for this forum.. I'm automatically logged in.. I don't ever log out... plus I'm on this site every hour of the day with exception to when I'm sleeping.

Rico

Quote from: ori-STUDFARM on February 09, 2011, 10:59:53 AM
There seems to be a real problem with spammers just lately. I know they're always about, but every forum I frequent, including the one I moderate, seems inundated with spammers getting by the security measures.

Since this is a fairly small forum, I have things set so I have to approve every new person that registers.  It also usually means they have to click the email sent to them to confirm it's a real person and working email.  But I cut through a lot of spammers when their user names are just a jumble of letters or their emails don't look right.  Those I just reject automatically.

Feathers

They can always email you and ask nicely if you accidently ban a 'real' person.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

wraith1701

I'm a Lurker, but also a long-time fan.  I've got a ton of projects going on, so my posting time has been significantly decreased, but I still love checking out the conversations & keeping up with what's going on.  :)