• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarabeth32

Ok. Let's say they have a Khan-like movie again. What would happen to Spock? Would he die? Would there be a genesis type planet? If he died and regenerated, how would the whole katra story play out and where would the ceremony take place now that Vulcan no longer exists? Would Spock even die?

If they really go the Khan route, they need to take a different angle. It would be good to see some kind of nemesis bonding take place with this Kirk and Khan because they end up becoming mortal enemies. Something dynamic has to happen between these two characters.

Just curious.
Z
In honor of my still living father - "I drank what?"

Jobydrone

Where was V'Ger mentioned in the reboot?  Did I completely miss that?  I saw that movie three times at least!

I would be shocked beyond words if the Klingons don't have a major role in the next film.  They were barely mentioned in the last movie and they are THE iconic Trek villians.  While I'd love to see Benecio Deltoro's take on Khan, I think he'd be great in that role, I think it is more likely that they cover him in makeup as a Klingon like Chris guessed.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

No, V'ger wasn't mentioned in the JJ film, Chris was just speculating on interesting story directions based on the comics.

X

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on December 01, 2011, 10:06:17 AM
Where was V'Ger mentioned in the reboot?  Did I completely miss that?  I saw that movie three times at least!

I would be shocked beyond words if the Klingons don't have a major role in the next film.  They were barely mentioned in the last movie and they are THE iconic Trek villians.  While I'd love to see Benecio Deltoro's take on Khan, I think he'd be great in that role, I think it is more likely that they cover him in makeup as a Klingon like Chris guessed.
What Bryan said. It wasn't in the film, but the comics that showed what he did before and after he destroyed the Kelvin and up to when Spock arrives.

Basically they fleshed out several things

- The tribal tattoos weren't just for show. They are mourning face pant the Romulans wear for their dead during the mourning period. Nero and crew got their tattooed on because they could never get over losing their world and their people
- Nero, who had been friends with Spock and melded with him, kept a connection from that meld and used it to find V'Ger, who then calculated the arrival time and location of Spock.
- Nero lost his ear on the Romulan prison camp he was at after the Kelvin battle. His ship had not fully healed by then and I guess he wanted to pass the time with free room and board. Which was reflected in some of the commercials when he says "It's time."

Jobydrone

You're talking about the comic "Countdown"?   I read that but don't remember much, definitely not the V'Ger stuff.  I do remember them going into great detail about what that red goop was that blew up Nero's ship.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

turtlesrock

twas the first star trek book they got at the school library. good times.... :)

KingIsaacLinksr

Personally, if they reboot Khan, then I'll lose faith in the Star Trek franchise of having any potential new stuff.  I mean, this is space that we are talking about, surely we can bring something new to the table than a 30 year old villain who I think did well enough the first time around.  Plus, I just don't really see how they could redo the magic like Khan and Kirk had back in the Original series. 

Don't get me wrong, I'll see the movie even if its Khan-esque, (unless its horrible ofc) but I won't hold any hope for a TV series afterwards.  I mean, these writers will have had years to work on a script and the best they can do is a reboot?....

Granted, this is all speculation so I will just wait and wait and wait and wait ;).  Hopefully its good stuff, as I rather enjoyed the 2009 flick.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

DrKankles

While Khan is a famous one off villain, the Klingons are pretty famous in their own right to the general public.  I think they will split the difference on the storylines.  I think it will be a battle of wills, lots of outwitting each other, but it will be a new Klingon bad guy.
Note to this:  Anyone else worried we're gonna end up with some crap Klingon makeup.  I could definitely see the JJ boys thinking the KLingons need a minor (by minor I mean total) change.

Poodyglitz

Quote from: DrKankles on December 02, 2011, 03:08:58 AM
Anyone else worried we're gonna end up with some crap Klingon makeup.  I could definitely see the JJ boys thinking the KLingons need a minor (by minor I mean total) change.

I do get a little concerned when I think about it, especially after seeing outtakes from the 2009 film. Although I wouldn't mind if they fixed the teeth. They tended to make many of the actors sound funny.

Dangelus

Quote from: Darmok on December 02, 2011, 08:50:21 AM
Quote from: DrKankles on December 02, 2011, 03:08:58 AM
Anyone else worried we're gonna end up with some crap Klingon makeup.  I could definitely see the JJ boys thinking the KLingons need a minor (by minor I mean total) change.

I do get a little concerned when I think about it, especially after seeing outtakes from the 2009 film. Although I wouldn't mind if they fixed the teeth. They tended to make many of the actors sound funny.

There not going for black wigs, moustaches and spray tan for this one? ;)

Rico

JJ Abrams has denied a report that Benicio del Toro would play Khan.  So, I think this nearly confirms the villain is not Khan but probably someone new.  YESSSSS!!!

http://trekmovie.com/2011/12/02/rumor-star-trek-sequel-villain-role-revealed/

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on December 03, 2011, 10:57:40 AM
JJ Abrams has denied a report that Benicio del Toro would play Khan.  So, I think this nearly confirms the villain is not Khan but probably someone new.  YESSSSS!!!

Beat me to it! I also get the feeling he has zero desire to rehash old Trek stories.

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on December 03, 2011, 10:57:40 AM

Well this is good news.

I'd love to see a big Klingon presence in the next movie but the is also a huge opportunity to do a lot more with the Romulans too. I always thought they were underused especially in the movies. With Vulcan gone and the knowledge that Romulus is on borrowed time I would expect the Romulans to take more of an aggressive stance on the Federation.

How about seeing the Klingon / Romulan alliance?   :metallica:

Rico

Much can be done with the Klingons.  There's a big, wide universe out there.  Go explore it! 

MARKO

I vote Romulans and Klingons ..... maybe even a Borg Cube???? Ya never know.

Marko
"Amat Victoria Curam"