• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Star Trek V most like tos?

Started by mac1701, December 23, 2011, 07:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Quote from: Zarabeth32 on January 13, 2012, 09:44:58 AM
Another thing I always wondered about is: Did they really call Marshmallows, Marshmelons and why? Were they not allowed to say marshmallows? Is the label copyrighted?

Just curious...  :o

Z

It was a joke, Spock said it wrong and Kirk and McCoy thought it was funny so they went along with it.

Jobydrone

Quote from: billybob476 on January 13, 2012, 11:53:24 AM
Another thing I always wondered about is: Did they really call Marshmallows, Marshmelons and why? Were they not allowed to say marshmallows? Is the label copyrighted?

Z

It was a joke, Spock said it wrong and Kirk and McCoy thought it was funny so they went along with it.
Wow really?  I never got that, I always thought it was a regional thing, like possibly here on the east coast of the US they call them Marshmallows and on the west coast they called them Marshmelons.  Kind of like in some parts of the US they call soft drinks "cola" and some places "soda pop".
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Poodyglitz

When I think about it, ST V is most like a third season TOS episode. For me, the search for God thing rivals "Spock's Brain" – something they tried to do seriously that came off silly. An obvious vanity piece for Shatner, another Trek hallmark across all the series (except Enterprise).

Perhaps the haunted space station concept would have been more acceptable. I would have known that it was an intentional goof.

Like WillEagle, this is the first Trek movie I saw with the woman who would become my wife. I was so psyched to be able to share a Trek movie with her. Alas, I would have to find something else to share with her that was cool.

I still will watch the beginning sometimes if I catch it on TV.

PortlandJosh

I was trying to get my wife into trek while we were dating and years after, and she always thought it was silly, but allowed me to love it without static.  Then something magical happened.  I watched a few episodes of Enterprise with her in the room and before I knew it, she was begging to watch Enterprise every night.  Is it just her, or do all women love T'Pol??  :andorian

ChrisMC

Quote from: QuadShot on January 13, 2012, 06:44:27 AM
Quote from: Chris-El on December 24, 2011, 06:29:09 AM
I liked it OK, the relationships with Spock, Kirk, and McCoy was pretty good but the rest of the characters seemed "off" to me. The whole movie was a little askew. But I still like it because it's Star Trek, I'm just not in a huge rush to put the BluRay on.

Chris...askew? Dude you can't use words like that here! :) Too complicated!! :)
Sorry! Sometimes I feel the need to use college words. It's a character flaw, one of many! ;)

Z
I always figured it was a "comedy" moment, Spock not quite getting the idea of camping out, either that or in the 23rd century marshmellows are called marshmelons.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

jedijeff

I liked Star Trek V, as I think I have said before, of all the Trek Movies, this was the one I saw the most in the Theatre. It also reminds me a lot of the Way to Eden from TOS, both stories have quite a few similarities.