• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Star Trek Comes to Blu-ray

Started by Geekyfanboy, January 23, 2009, 08:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktrek

Quote from: Rico on April 30, 2009, 08:31:07 AM
Blu-Ray is still struggling a bit to find a foot hold, and the economy isn't helping.  Until the actual disc prices get close to DVD, many people will just be content with DVD. 

I don't think you can say that Blu-Ray is still struggling. Officially sales have doubled over the same quarter last year and continue to climb.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2591

Blu-Ray is a growing market and DVD did not overtake VHS for several years. As more titles that people really want to own become available I think sales will then really take off. Where is our Star Wars on Blur-Ray for instance? My local Best buy (and it's a small store in comparison to some) has grown from one 5 ft. wide shelf last year to almost three full rows and the DVD stock is diminishing. They no longer even carry classic film box sets for instance. I have also noticed that when I am in the store there are as many people now browsing the Blu-Ray section as there are the DVD section. Granted this may not be true up in Detroit where your economy is severely depressed but Detroit is the exception across the nation.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

X

I think you need to read between the lines with that article and also check a few more sources. Blu Ray might be up, but it's still nowhere that it should be as the winner of the format war. It hasn't yet to cut into the DVD sales and that's the only way that it's going to be a success.

It's just not happening. The buy in is way too expensive and the movies are too pricey for what they offer.

billybob476

I think it's the same problem that Vista had over XP. At this point, for most people, DVD is "good enough". At the moment I personally don't see any compelling reason to buy a blu ray player. The only way I'd get one is if they stopped making DVD's or it got thrown in with a new TV.

Rico

Kevin - I'm not dissing Blu-Ray, but if you listen to several other Tech sources it is not doing nearly the business they had hoped it would do by this point.  Especially considering it currently is the only HD disc option.  I tend to know and hang out with very tech heavy folks.  People who got CD players early, then DVD, etc.  I think one of them has a PS3 - that's it.  It is still way too expensive under the current state of things for the average person.  I was there in the beginning of DVD.  The only thing that finally allowed it to catch on, were many more titles and lower cost per disc.  Until that happens, Blu-Ray will not be main stream successful.

P.S.  Detroit is certainly not the only economically depressed city around. 

Meds

I've looked into this for the past few months and I have to agree with rico here. Blue ray has not had the success they hoped. In England sales are good but not great. Yes my mate Ed has a ps3 and showed me Iron man on blue ray and it looked great but he had a 52 inch screen (give or take a inch) but he then put the dvd of dark knight on and it looke equally as good. I dont think people are going to rush out and buy Blue ray when you can DVD's for such a ridiculous cheap price. I'm still going to hold out for another year.

Ktrek

Well, I still buy most of my movies on DVD too but for my very favorites I want to replace them on Blu-Ray. I own too many DVDs to replace my entire library. Nor would I want to, but for new purchases I am opting more and more to go Blu, and for titles like Star Trek I will be replacing at least the TOS series I have and all the movies. I doubt that I would upgrade any other Trek though. Any of the Disney animated classics I would upgrade. Snow White is coming soon and although the Platinum edition DVD is really very very good I am still going to upgrade. The Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty films look so fabulous on Blu-Ray I can't resist. The Pirates of the Caribbean series looks soooo much better on Blu than it did on DVD. I had thought about upgrading all the James Bond films but the transfer on the Ultimate Edition DVDs is so good that I decided my money could be better spent on other titles. Some classic films like Gone With The Wind, Singin' In The Rain, The Wizard of Oz, The Adventures of Robin Hood, etc. I would definitely upgrade, when and if they become available.

I guess as far as buying new titles are concerned it would depend on the movie. Lately I have been able to get Blu-Ray for only $5 to $7 more than I would have spent for the DVD and to me that's reasonable for the better quality. At the $10.00 or more difference is when I really start weighing how badly I want a title and how frequently would I watch it again. So I still buy more DVDs than I do Blu-Ray's but if the price was the same there would be no hesitation as to what I would choose.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Meds

I think if i were to jump into Blue Ray then i would only upgrade first generation DVD's. I would not upgrade my Bond collection either (i dont think they can do any better really). Is the new trek upgrades coming out on standard DVD or only on Blue ray?

Ktrek

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on April 30, 2009, 12:33:58 PM
I think if i were to jump into Blue Ray then i would only upgrade first generation DVD's. I would not upgrade my Bond collection either (i dont think they can do any better really). Is the new trek upgrades coming out on standard DVD or only on Blue ray?

Simon - Are you referring to the "remastered"? The answer to that is that they have already been released on DVD. The first season is on a HDVD/DVD combo set and seasons two and three were released last year on DVD only sets. Note - these do NOT contain the original broadcast with original special effects. The Blu-Ray version contains both so you can watch whatever version you prefer. I was probably more in the camp of leaving the original alone because I tend toward being a purist and viewing things as originally conceived. However, I have to admit that the remastered special effects look fabulous on an HDTV! As hard as it is for me to admit it I think the remastered version is nicer to look at overall. The version with the original effects clearly show the inferior quality of the film that was used for the effects vs. the film that was used for the rest of the production.

Kevin

Meds

I knew the first season had been released on HD/DVD but as i dont own a HD/DVD player i wasn't going to buy it. So I gather the Blue Ray versions (with both tyoes) wont be availale on normal DVD.

billybob476

Meds

Yeah I've already sent out our ninja squirrels round to kill him. ;)

moyer777

ninja squirrels are scary little animals, that is if you ever catch a glimpse of them. ;)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Meds

Watch out for their nuts, no one likes to have their nuts coming at ya!

Ktrek

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on April 30, 2009, 01:33:05 PM
Yeah I've already sent out our ninja squirrels round to kill him. ;)

I ain't afraid of no ninja squirrels! If my defense perimeter doesn't kill 'em my cats will for sure! LOL

Sorry Sim...I mean MEDS! I forgot you hate your real name. Too bad because you're stuck with it! lol Why not just change your last name to Templar and then I think you will like it! :)

Kevin

Meds

ha ha, well i was named after Simon Templar as my mum had a crush on Roger Moore, plus the saint has two scars on his left hand and weirdly i too have the same scars. hmmm.