• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Dr. Kate Pulaski

Started by moyer777, August 28, 2008, 03:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Well, it's hard to come in to an already running series (even in just year two of it) but I was fairly ok with Pulaski.  Although I think they tried to make her a bit too much like McCoy.  That being said, I much prefer Dr. Crusher.  Her relationship and history with Picard and of course with her son aboard made for some interesting character stuff.  Just wish we had gotten to see her dance more!  Love her in "Data's Day."  Keep in mind that even the best actor is constrained by the scripts given to them.  They just act out what has been written for their character.

Jen

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on August 28, 2008, 11:08:15 PM
TNG works because of the comradeship, alas she seemed more like Frank Burns from MASH.

I agree. Bones was a "country doctor". He was rough around the edges but not a snob. Like Frank, Doctor Pulaski came off as pretentious right off the bat. You know what they say about first impressions. ;)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Meds

Quote from: Jen on August 29, 2008, 06:28:45 AM
Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on August 28, 2008, 11:08:15 PM
TNG works because of the comradeship, alas she seemed more like Frank Burns from MASH.

I agree. Bones was a "country doctor". He was rough around the edges but not a snob. Like Frank, Doctor Pulaski came off as pretentious right off the bat. You know what they say about first impressions. ;)

ha ha, indeed. ;)

Darth Gaos

Quote from: Jen on August 28, 2008, 05:58:05 PM
Eheeemmmm.... Doctor Crusher ...

**OT, OT**
Nice throat clearing/righteous indignation Jen.  I had always wanted to use something like that but could never come up with a good way to spell it. 
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

moyer777

Quote from: Ktrek on August 28, 2008, 04:43:59 PM
I actually enjoyed Pulaski a lot and would have preferred that her character stayed on. I like Crusher but the Pulaski character gave much more freedom for conflict and thus better drama. I wish that some book writers would do something with Pulaski and redeem her character in the fans minds.

PS...You spelled her name wrong btw Rick!

Kevin

Thank you Kevin, I changed it!  :)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

sheldor

Oh no !!  I noticed that TOO !!  Now I have to go purge my mind of these trekkie memories - begone foul creature !!!

moyer777

Jen

Quote from: Darth Gaos on August 29, 2008, 12:26:29 PM
Quote from: Jen on August 28, 2008, 05:58:05 PM
Eheeemmmm.... Doctor Crusher ...

**OT, OT**
Nice throat clearing/righteous indignation Jen.  I had always wanted to use something like that but could never come up with a good way to spell it. 

LOL. All in good fun... Like BSG's Starbuck, I like the actress and dislike the character. 
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Archangela

Look, I don't know what she was doing and I don't much care. She being Crusher when Dr. Pulaski was thrown into the mix. But what I do think is that a) the show was set up with a dynamic for Beverly and we all liked that. So when you add the Pulaski character for good or ill, it didn't really fit the dynamic that some of us prefer. And b) They set her up to be in the "Data is a toaster" camp and most of us are not fond of that regardless of what else she may have done. I agree with the Frank Burns line. And I do remember seeing her in TOS, she was a dish.  :knight
"Captain, I protest, I am not a merry man!"

wraith1701

Crusher FTW. 
As was mentioned earlier, her ties to Picard's past and the conflicting emotions she helped stir up created a much better dynamic, in my opinion. 

And I know it's shallow, but it's true: she was much more attractive than Dr. Bones-ette.

Talon Lardner

In my opinion, Diana Muldaur can not be blamed for her character taking off. I think it is quite showing of the tendancy of early TNG episodes to have very little character growth. If her character had stuck around for a few more seasons, or if she started out in a later TNG season with better writers, her character would have been much more successful.

Xfire = TheListener, Xbox Live = The Ratling

sheldor

Quote from: Talon Lardner on August 31, 2008, 04:59:25 PM
In my opinion, Diana Muldaur can not be blamed for her character taking off. I think it is quite showing of the tendancy of early TNG episodes to have very little character growth. If her character had stuck around for a few more seasons, or if she started out in a later TNG season with better writers, her character would have been much more successful.

What I wonder is did they modify the episodes for Pulaski or was she merely substituting for McFadden ?

Geekyfanboy

Gates left after Season one.. so they knew they were getting a new doctor before hand.. so those episodes were written for Pulaski.

moyer777

I know I'm in the minority, but I really dug the first two seasons of TNG.  Kate added a great conflict element.  I wish she would have stayed on with Crusher.  It could have added a different dimension to the whole show. 

One of my favorite episodes is Peak Performance, where she does an outstanding job at getting Data to compete.  I also like the episode where she drinks poisonous tea with Warf in some ritual.  She of course has to give herself some antidote beforehand.  I also like the way she acts in the episode where Riker meets up with his dad.  Pretty cool stuff. 

The later years of TNG were more polished and space opera, but the first two season were more science fiction self contained episodes.  The exception is shades of grey, which I don't think I will ever really enjoy.  :)

wraith1701

Quote from: moyer777 on August 31, 2008, 05:33:20 PM...The exception is shades of grey, which I don't think I will ever really enjoy.  :)

They say that Star Trek is like pizza: even when it's bad, it's good.

This episode is the exception to the rule.  Truly the WORST episode in TNG history.  If I remember correctly, that was a rough time for the series..  a writer's strike or something forced the producers to come up with that weak clip-show.