• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Make It So...

Started by davekill, October 08, 2007, 10:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

I thought they called you a "cheeky monkey".  :D
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Oh yeah ----  you're right Jen.  In any case - I took it in a positive way.  I've always been a bit "cheeky."  Hehe!

space_invader64

If they are going to call Rico a "cheeky monkey" then we need think of something to call two british guys who fear the wrath of paramount legal!

Darth Gaos

Swearing doesn't necessarily bother me unless done to a completely useless excess.  That said, I think it is worth noting that the Brits do not have the same view on swearing that we do.  The f-bomb does not have near the stigma over there as it does here it seems.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

space_invader64

I really don't like the F word when used as an adjective.  What's the point?  Say something else.  When I write scripts, I think that I don't want to write that word very often because it makes it lose it's sting.  What if I really want to give something a lot of punch?  And if that is a word that hasn't been heard every minute of the movie, that might do it.

I saw a movie called student bodies, a horror movie, that was pretty tame until a news anchor broke in and explaned that R rated movies made more money than PG last year then used the word to ensure an R rating.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on November 08, 2007, 11:59:11 AM
Oh yeah ----  you're right Jen.  In any case - I took it in a positive way.  I've always been a bit "cheeky."  Hehe!

Yea, your cheeky Rico, but we tolerate you....sorta ;)

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

space_invader64

I don't even know what cheeky means.

jedijeff

I guess for me, the use of the f-word is a bit of a grey area. I find a lot of times when it is used, that there is usually a better word that can be used, and it is really unnecessary and Juvenile. I don't have a problem with them letting it fly in a Kevin Smith or Judd Apatow movie as it seems appropriate, but I look on Sci-Fi movies and content about them differently, and feel that it is out of context. That said, In the Terminator, the few times it was used seemed fine and led to some memorable quotes ;) .When I first started listening to podcasts, I used to listen to Star Wars endirect, and I stopped listening because I really disliked the swearing as I felt it was out of context for a Star Wars podcast and did not represent Star Wars the way I felt it should. One of the reason I really enjoyed Ricos podcast so much was that there is no swearing. I have nothing against bad words being used(and I have used them more then I care to admit), I just feel there is a time and a place for them, and sci-fi podcasts to me is not the place for it. But that is just my opinion, I will have to try the make it so podcast some time, might not bother me, but I guess I will not know until I find out.

moyer777

I think I have always felt that cussing is unintelligent.  Like Jeff said, many times you can use different words that would be even more applicable.  I also notice the more I hear those words, the more they roll around in my brain.  I don't really think it is very classy to cuss, so when you are around it all the time, they sometimes just slip out.  Thus, I don't listen to many podcasts with a lot of strong language in them because I personally don't want to feed myself verbal junk.

Ok, off my high horse!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

space_invader64

The high school and college aged kids are saying the F word all the time an I think that makes them sound like idots.

Another word that I don't like that we are starting to hear often is the word "gay" used in places it doesn't fit.  

Such as, "I think it's gay that the teacher gives us homework on party night."   Or just saying, "That's gay."  

My sisters friends say things like that all the time.  Then they roll their eyes if I point out that what that have said makes no sense if you take those words literally.  It annoys me.  Have you all heard this?  Does it bother you guys?

Sometimes I feel like the language is breaking down like in the movie idocracy.  If you haven't seen it, watch it.

Jen

Quote from: Darth Gaos on November 08, 2007, 12:19:57 PM
Swearing doesn't necessarily bother me unless done to a completely useless excess.  That said, I think it is worth noting that the Brits do not have the same view on swearing that we do.  The f-bomb does not have near the stigma over there as it does here it seems.

Quote from: johnsemlak on November 07, 2007, 06:41:56 PM
As far as the language goes, I actually debated about whether to warn about the language when I recommended Make it So in my audio clip.  It doesn't bother me on the slightest (in fact, I confess I like the swearing) but I understand it's a matter of taste.  But really, I don't think there's much language in Make it So that that isn't common in standard Hollywood fare.

As always, to each their own.

Also, I really appreciate the non-American point of view.  I suppose that's from having lived outside the US for so many years.

I don't know, swearing is unfortunately fairly accepted where I'm from—I've heard stuff that could make you're ears bleed. The more I hear profanity, the more I tend to accidently repeat it when I'm ticked-off or hurt. I don't want to, not only because it's considered unladylike here in the south, but I'm around little kids a lot and nothing's cute about a 3 year old mimicking that language. I've got a lot of friends who cuss...they know I don't and they respect that. And I don't bash them over the head with it. I just try to ignore it when they use it.

Personally, I think The Make It So guys should be able to say whatever they want—it's labeled "explicit" and that's fair enough warning. I like their show otherwise.

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

space_invader64

They keep bringing up that they are accused of hating star trek.  Which I think they love TNG and DS9 and I don't know why people are saying that about them.

On the language thing, I have a double standard  When it's just me, I don't mind it as much (Though I don't like mindless uses of the F word or uses of GD).  If I have friends or family with me, I start wishing they would cut it out.

Oh that reminds me of a funny story.  I would commute 45 minutes to school every morning and would listen to podcasts in the car through my FM transmitter.  I was listing to Treks in Scifi the whole way up there.  Later that afternoon I heard another commuter say that he found an unusual program on the radio and didn't now what it was but a guy was talking about a star trek episode in detail!  He had never heard this kind of radio program before.  The transmitter will go several feet and I guess he was in front of or behind me.  Then it faded out and he couldn't get it back.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Jen on November 08, 2007, 07:14:26 PM
Quote from: Darth Gaos on November 08, 2007, 12:19:57 PM

Quote from: johnsemlak on November 07, 2007, 06:41:56 PM
As far as the language goes, I actually debated about whether to warn about the language when I recommended Make it So in my audio clip.  It doesn't bother me on the slightest (in fact, I confess I like the swearing) but I understand it's a matter of taste.  But really, I don't think there's much language in Make it So that that isn't common in standard Hollywood fare.

As always, to each their own.

Also, I really appreciate the non-American point of view.  I suppose that's from having lived outside the US for so many years.

I don't know, swearing is unfortunately fairly accepted where I'm from—I've heard stuff that could make you're ears bleed. The more I hear profanity, the more I tend to accidently repeat it when I'm ticked-off or hurt. I don't want to, not only because it's considered unladylike here in the south, but I'm around little kids a lot and nothing's cute about a 3 year old mimicking that language. I've got a lot of friends who cuss...they know I don't and they respect that. And I don't bash them over the head with it. I just try to ignore it when they use it.

Personally, I think The Make It So guys should be able to say whatever they want—it's labeled "explicit" and that's fair enough warning. I like their show otherwise.

I personally despise vulgar language.  I will let it go of course if it slips or its once or twice.  But if you use it naturally in a sentence, don't expect me to think your intelligent.  You can talk in English without the use of "F**K".  Its just not needed. 

;)

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Jen

Quote from: space_invader64 on November 08, 2007, 07:56:38 PM

Oh that reminds me of a funny story.  I would commute 45 minutes to school every morning and would listen to podcasts in the car through my FM transmitter.  I was listing to Treks in Scifi the whole way up there.  Later that afternoon I heard another commuter say that he found an unusual program on the radio and didn't now what it was but a guy was talking about a star trek episode in detail!  He had never heard this kind of radio program before.  The transmitter will go several feet and I guess he was in front of or behind me.  Then it faded out and he couldn't get it back.

THAT'S AWESOME!!!  Rico's a Radio Pirate...sort of.  :D
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Very cool!  We need more powerful radio transmitters in cars!