• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK" movie comments/reviews (spoilers)

Started by Rico, May 03, 2009, 12:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

queue

Maybe red-matter-made-black-hole + universe-destroying-supernova = time portal?

and red-matter-made-black-hole + nothing/regular-space/nero's ship = just a regular black hole?

Jaames

I went last week for the third time. That's 3 times with 3 different people (or groups of people). And it gets even better every time. I'm trying to do my part to get those numbers up and bring people who aren't your typical Star Trek fans. The first time was my father and my friend, all Trekkers, and we, of course, loved it.

The second time was me, my wife, my mother in law and father in law, and a co-worker and her husband. Everyone loved it, except my wife and her father, they thought it was "ok".  :jawdrop

I almost passed out when they said that, which would have been bad since I was driving at the time. (Yes, I've looked into divorce proceedings, but it's just too expensive, so I've decided to give her a second chance  ;D ...Actually she semi redeemed herself last night, My DVD's of The Guild came and she watched the first few episodes with me and LOVED it)... [Just for the record, I'm kidding, I adore my wife, geek or not :wub]

And the third time was with another co-worker who said it was awesome and waaaayyy better than he expected it to be.

I'm trying to get one of my best friends to go with me, but he absolutely refuses. He loves Star Wars, but has never liked Star Trek, in fact he's always hated Star Trek. I've tried everything, but I think this calls for desperate measures... I'm going to have to pay for him... :-\

Rico

Make a deal with your friend.  Tell him if he doesn't like the movie, you will then pay him back for his ticket.  I don't see how he can not enjoy it.

Jaames

Quote from: Rico on June 03, 2009, 09:11:12 AM
Make a deal with your friend.  Tell him if he doesn't like the movie, you will then pay him back for his ticket.  I don't see how he can not enjoy it.
Yeah, I might try that, but this is one stubborn son of a gun. He'll probably say he didn't like no matter what since he fought it so hard. He's not the type to readily admit he was absolutely wrong.

wraith1701

Had a mildly funny moment at work today.  A woman was telling me about how cool the new Star Trek movie was, and how much she liked the 'guy with the ears, 'Dr. Spock''.   :D

Bryancd

Say, has anyone done the warp calculations on the trip to Vulcan? It seems they got there awful fast.

X

Quote from: Bryancd on June 03, 2009, 04:57:06 PM
Say, has anyone done the warp calculations on the trip to Vulcan? It seems they got there awful fast.
Someone had mentioned this before, but time did pass on the ship, there just wasn't a clock for us to see how much. When Kirk got up in sick bay, Bones had already been changed to his new uniform. we also don't know what warp scale this new universe is using yet. From the looks of the effects, I would say that they were more in hyper space or slipstream like environments than the normal warp effect we are used to.

Bryancd

Quote from: Just X on June 03, 2009, 05:03:36 PM
Quote from: Bryancd on June 03, 2009, 04:57:06 PM
Someone had mentioned this before, but time did pass on the ship, there just wasn't a clock for us to see how much. When Kirk got up in sick bay, Bones had already been changed to his new uniform. we also don't know what warp scale this new universe is using yet. From the looks of the effects, I would say that they were more in hyper space or slipstream like environments than the normal warp effect we are used to.

Honestly, I don't think they really gave it much thought, which is ok. There are a few fanboy things which JJ clearly didn't give a lot of thought too, but I get that. My answer to my question is not a single person on the staff made any effort to figure out how long a 16 light year trip would take at whatever warp.

Rico

One thing to keep in mind is there is a tricky thing in film/tv called camera cuts.  My point is, anytime the camera cuts away time can go by.  A minute, an hour, etc.  The movie isn't like the TV show "24" that tries to operate in one-to-one real time.  All I am saying is, it's hard to say exactly how long the trip took.  We are only seeing what they want us to see on screen.

I am now reminded of something in "Revenge of the Sith."  Padme announces she is pregnant near the start of the film, and two hours later - boom - twins!  Even though it hardly looks like much time passes.

Bryancd

Bryancd

OK, here is new Enterprise scaling I can live with...

X

Bryancd

450 meters. Here is a quote from the guy who posted this at HobbyTalk forums:

"The 34" model that was given away for the Star Trek ARG game is 1/350 scale. It was also displayed at the arclight in Hollywood...I got to see it in person. So we know for sure that the ship is much closer to the TMP refit. They built it using the ILM specs."

billybob476

The longer secondary hull makes a lot of sense considering how much space the shuttle bay takes up. From what I can see it'd basically only contain that and engineering.

wraith1701

Quote from: billybob476 on June 06, 2009, 05:25:20 AM
The longer secondary hull makes a lot of sense considering how much space the shuttle bay takes up. From what I can see it'd basically only contain that and engineering.
Yep.  And watching the film again, I get the impression that sickbay is located in the neck between the Primary & Secondary. When the Enterprise first encounters the Narada at Vulcan, one of the torpedoes hits the neck, and is immediately followed by a shot of sickbay getting shredded by flame & shrapnel. 

Man; I REALLY NEED some blueprints. Like YESTERDAY.  :-\